Moparts

Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause

Posted By: runnerrt

Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 07:46 PM

Driving my Bee home from a show a couple weeks ago, I noticed a tapping in the engine. I tore it open this weekend and the #8 exhaust lifter is concaved and looks like the lobe is shot. The engine is a 383 with MP 509 cam that was built 23 years ago and has about 10k on it. I just put a set of MP aluminum 452's on it a couple months ago (300 miles), stock rockers with correct length push rods. I am going to pull it clean it out and put another 509 in it for now, until my 489 stroker is done. I do not want it to happen again, What possible causes should I look for? Thanks.
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 07:52 PM

Could be that the new heads have spring pressure that is too high or some kind of interference or binding taking place.

You are using good flat tappet oil I assume.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 07:58 PM

poor metallurgy. not enouugh zinc. poor breakin procedure. lifter not free (enough) to rotate in it's bore. too high of spring psi on breakin. 23 yrs is a long time/alot of history
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 08:03 PM

The MP 452's (straight plug Eddy's) have a spring rate compatible with the 509 cam. After all those years, I would have to guess that you didn't have enough zinc additive after the last oil change. I use 1/2 bottle Lucas break-in additive with Rotella diesel oil. So far; so good.

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 08:33 PM

I run Valvoline VR1 race oil, it claims to have high zinc content
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 08:35 PM

Quote:

poor metallurgy. not enouugh zinc. poor breakin procedure. lifter not free (enough) to rotate in it's bore. too high of spring psi on breakin. 23 yrs is a long time/alot of history

considering all he did was swapp heads , and an oil change , a lot of those issues really wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't apply.

Did you have the heads checked out before installing them or just ASSuME they were ready to go out of the box ?

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

considering all he did was swapp heads , and an oil change , a lot of those issues really wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't apply.

Did you have the heads checked out before installing them or just ASSuME they were ready to go out of the box ?

After the horror stories I have seen on here,I had them checked out and was told everything was good.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 08:47 PM

In that case it was either the oil , doesn't take long for the lifter and cam nose to go away once the metal transfer starts , or the lifter stopped rotating , obviously , for some reason. New pushrods ? How much preload ?
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 11:07 PM

after 23 years probably enough dry starts to start some cam wear then it all of the sudden goes like crazy!
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/19/13 11:50 PM

My buddy lost his MP .528 solid after many years and many miles. He had not touched a thing and poof one day lobes gone bye-bye. Think strongly about a roller for your new build
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/20/13 12:55 AM

Did you measure the retainer to guide clearance at max lift? Just a thought.

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/20/13 01:04 AM

Quote:

In that case it was either the oil , doesn't take long for the lifter and cam nose to go away once the metal transfer starts , or the lifter stopped rotating , obviously , for some reason. New pushrods ? How much preload ?

They were Rhodes lifters And they call for at least .031 preload and prefered .0625 to .125 and the push rods were ordered for .0625
Posted By: TJP

Re: Wiped Out My Cam What To Look For As Cause - 08/20/13 01:13 AM

OIL or you have
Quote:

some kind of interference or binding taking place

or as other have said the lobe was weak, new spring pressure finished it off.

© 2024 Moparts Forums