Moparts

A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std

Posted By: RapidRobert

A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/14/13 03:15 PM

Will going from one type to the other move the rear axle forward or rearward (which spring/which way & how far). Superstock 003. Thank you for your time.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/14/13 03:29 PM

For an A body, I do not believe so.
Posted By: skicker

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/14/13 06:12 PM

The biggest thing I noticed when I did the swap to the SS springs was the fact that the increase in arc of the spring when they stand up under load or are jacked up. It does pull the tires a little closer to the front of the wheelwell-quarter panel. It would probably not be noticeable unless the tires are already close.

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/14/13 08:39 PM

Quote:

It does pull the tires a little closer to the front of the wheelwell-quarter panel.

Driveshaft end play is where I am going with this

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/14/13 10:48 PM

It should be fine. I can't reference that from mine because we used a 65 B Body Dodge front spring hanger (installed upside down) to move the rear back about an inch and an 1/8th. I had a custom shaft built that was 49 1/2". It has exactly 1" of space left before bottoming out at ride ht. When you jack it up by the body and the springs fall to the full shock extension that 1" gap becomes about 5/8". dunno if that helps..
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 12:37 AM

The front segment on the SS spring is 2" shorter than the standard spring.

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 12:47 AM

Quote:

Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 01:39 AM

Quote:

that is not correct..standard a body front segment is 20 inches..so are SS springs...where the 2 inch shorter problems comes is with B and E bodies...NOT A Bodies...

I have installed SS springs on both A and E bodies..the E body required a new front hangar that was 2 inches longer...the SS spring bolted directly on to the A body ...In fact I just installed SS 002/003 springs on a 71 Duster earlier this year..and those same SS springs came off a 71 Dart. Both cars had stock springs removed and SS installed.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 01:41 AM

Quote:

ON AN A BODY?

I don't think so

http://www.hotrodreference.com/1105/mopar-passenger-car-leaf-spring-dimensions/
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 01:43 AM

Quote:

2" shorter than the standard B body spring, not the A body spring.

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 12:13 PM

Quote:

The front segment of the SS spring is 2" shorter on a B and E body...Not an A body. As I said earlier it may differ 1/4 or so due to the added arch but that's it.
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 12:49 PM

You can also add a 1/4 or 1/2 inch spacer between the body mount and spring hanger to gain room/center the wheel in the opening. Also be sure to check the angle of the rear shackle to make sure the top is forward of the bottom when completed.

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 01:46 PM

I have 2 A bodies, one with the SS springs & I have spaced them back at the front and also a plate at the rear so the bottom of the shackles is pointing rearward. rear ujoint end play is tight but acceptable. The other A body has OE springs with no spacers & there's a bit too much ujoint end play since the driveshaft is a little too short tho there is no vibration. I am swapping rear ends between the two & was considering swapping the springs also mainly for the ride & I was wanting to get an idea of the "on paper" differences between the two so I dont get jambed up on the ujoint end play deal. I was gonna just measure with a plumb bob/tape but the arch confused things so I thought I'd post. I may have to go ahead & measure (always a smart move ) & go from there. Thanks guys!
Posted By: therocks

Re: A body rear spring segment length Q, SS vs std - 08/15/13 04:56 PM

Unless you have an early B body that the SS are 1 inch shorter.Frt segment on my 65 is 21 inches.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums