Moparts

Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows

Posted By: Birdlover

Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/14/13 02:22 PM

My wife's elderly uncle bought this 1967 Plymouth Fury VIP new and it now has 46,000 miles. It has fender mounted turn signals that do work, however the interior signal arrows do not. I looked under the dash and there are no lamp holders for the L & R arrows. This car is completely unmolested and I don't think there ever were lamp holders for the inside arrows. Can anyone verify this? Thanks.

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/14/13 03:00 PM

I'd think there'd have to be lamp holders for the bulb on each side to light up the 2 green arrows. But you wouldn't think both of em would have come undone & fallen out

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/14/13 03:41 PM

The wiring harness is as neat as the day it left the factory. The bulb holders for oil pressure light and high beam are plugged in where they are suppose to be. There is just no bulb holders anywhere for the L & R signal arrows (there are holes for them in the cluster panel). I'm stumped!
Posted By: closer9

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/14/13 04:02 PM

Are they powered by the circuit board? I know my '67 B-body ones are. They are just the little plastic pieces that twist into the board. It's possible he just didn't like the inside signals and pulled them out.
Posted By: 300rag

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/14/13 04:15 PM

In 1965 at least on Chryslers, when fender mounted turn indicators were ordered, the dash indicators were disabled. It was one or the other.

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/14/13 04:19 PM

I don't believe they are powered by the circuit board. The other two aren't. Also, all the holes for the bulb holders are stamped with the wire color. The oil pressure and high beam bulb holders have the correct color wires going to them. The missing holes are stamped tan and green and these color wires are no where to be found.
Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/14/13 04:47 PM

Quote:

In 1965 at least on Chryslers, when fender mounted turn indicators were ordered, the dash indicators were disabled. It was one or the other.

Correct. All Mopars that came with the fender mounted turn signals did not have a provision for the dash turn signals to work. I tried to add the bulbs and holders along with the fender signals and they wouldn't work. Even stopped the fender signals from working. I know this because I have had a 66 Chrysler 300 and now my 66 Plymouth Satellite with the fender signals. It is either/or but not both....
Posted By: notforsale440

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/14/13 11:34 PM

been a while, but I think I remember the back of the cluster arrows had tape over them on my 68 GTX with fender mounted turn signals.........
Posted By: SteveS

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/15/13 12:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Correct. All Mopars that came with the fender mounted turn signals did not have a provision for the dash turn signals to work. I tried to add the bulbs and holders along with the fender signals and they wouldn't work. Even stopped the fender signals from working. I know this because I have had a 66 Chrysler 300 and now my 66 Plymouth Satellite with the fender signals. It is either/or but not both....

My '72 and '75 Chryslers had both.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/15/13 01:58 AM

Quote:

My 66 Chrysler 300 had bulbs in the fender sockets, no bulbs in the dash sockets.
Posted By: Suregrip391

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/15/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

been a while, but I think I remember the back of the cluster arrows had tape over them on my 68 GTX with fender mounted turn signals.........

I had a survivor 70 sport satellite with fender signals, the in dash arrows did not work, I pulled the dash out and there was factory black tape over the holes. Not knowing any better I removed the tape, inserted sockets with bulbs and both worked together.
Posted By: notforsale440

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/15/13 02:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had a survivor 70 sport satellite with fender signals, the in dash arrows did not work, I pulled the dash out and there was factory black tape over the holes. Not knowing any better I removed the tape, inserted sockets with bulbs and both worked together.

yup....just looked at my cluster, first time in quite a while, lol............yes, black electrical type tape; keeps light from coming through the hole but also covers the bare copper connection on the circuit board......... I see no reason inserting bulbs wouldn't work
Posted By: moparx

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/15/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

I don't believe they are powered by the circuit board. The other two aren't. Also, all the holes for the bulb holders are stamped with the wire color. The oil pressure and high beam bulb holders have the correct color wires going to them. The missing holes are stamped tan and green and these color wires are no where to be found.

tan and green may correspond to the ts switch colors.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/15/13 03:25 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure my '69 Road Runner with fender mounted indicators had functioning dash indicators, too. And I'm SURE the previous owner never fooled with anything on the car.
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/15/13 05:49 AM

I've had several cars with fender-top turn signals. A '68 New Yorker, a '71 Swinger and a '75 Valiant Brougham. In all cases, both dash and fender-top lights worked in unison. This is actually the first I've heard of the one or other situation.
Posted By: stockerbill

Re: Question on fender mounted turn signals & inside arrows - 08/17/13 01:40 AM

It is either/or but not both, not in all cases!. My 65 monaco has and always did have both! as with many things om old mopars"ya never know!
© 2024 Moparts Forums