Moparts

71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight

Posted By: PHJ426

71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 03:43 AM

This is a long shot but wondering if anyone knows the weight of a fully assembled 71/72 Road Runner Air Grabber hood?
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 01:05 PM

HEAVY!

Sorry, couldn't help myself... I haven't weighed mine, but it is definitely heavier than the previous standard hood I had on the car. I also have to use a prop rod to keep the hood open as the AG hood will overwhelm the springs.

Attached picture 7813684-AGHood.jpg
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 01:28 PM

Is that why the hood keeps slipping? My buddy bought a used set of hinges...I am rebuilding them....could these possibly do the same thing as the old ones? Any tips on making them tighter short of re-bushing the hinges?

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 01:31 PM

Quote:

Is that why the hood keeps slipping? My buddy bought a used set of hinges...I am rebuilding them....could these possibly do the same thing as the old ones? Any tips on making them tighter short of re-bushing the hinges?

I have been told that AG hoods used heavier springs. Don't know if that's true or a wive's tale, but the springs on the old hinges from my standard hood will NOT hold the AG hood open.

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 06:29 PM

Makes sense that a heavier spring is required to keep the hood open especially since these hoods are large in size and so heavy.....

My guesstimate is 80# maybe more what is your guess?

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 07:52 PM

Honestly haven't a clue, but it also makes sense because most of the weight of an AG hood is on the forward side--so you have all that leverage working against the springs.

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 08:51 PM

I think the hood is cool but there is a lot of weight to shed by removing this hood in favor of something a lot lighter.........
Posted By: Fasbird

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 08:55 PM

Bought a used set of hinges/springs from a long hood Charger ('71/'74-ish) and they hold my '71 AG hood up just fine.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 09:02 PM

my ag hood weighs alot with all the stuff on it
ag hoods used a differant spring on the hood hinge with more coils for the extra weight.
resto rick can upgrade the springs/rebuild the hood hinges like new
i had him do mine..
Posted By: NOrrTH

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 09:03 PM

I saw a set of Air Grabber springs for sale on Ebay once and the seller claimed they had a couple more coils than the regular springs.

The springs on my car now hold the hood up fine. Perhaps I should count the coils?

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

I think the hood is cool but there is a lot of weight to shed by removing this hood in favor of something a lot lighter.........

Which I'd certainly consider if I was drag racing the car, but since mine is simply a cool street cruiser I'll stick with the heavy but COOL air grabber hood. And now be looking for a set of Charger hood hinges/springs!

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 10:21 PM

I'm going to be doing to this Road Runner what Rick Ehrenberg did to that Imperial with his torches, sawzall and sledge hammersssss....

This is one heavy machine that needs to go on a diet......
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

HEAVY!

Sorry, couldn't help myself... I haven't weighed mine, but it is definitely heavier than the previous standard hood I had on the car. I also have to use a prop rod to keep the hood open as the AG hood will overwhelm the springs.

YES, they are very heavy!
My car is clone from a purple 318 Satellite. It got the Road Runner treatment and the air grabber hood back around 1991 before anybody even used the word clone to describe these cars. The Satellite springs must have worked okay for all previous owners, but when I got the car in 2005, the springs were getting weak. I had Resto Rick rebuild my hinges and they held the hood up great for a year or so, then it went right back to the way it was before. Rick was nice enough to hook me up with a set of the correct springs. I took a picture of the two different springs while my buddy and I were swapping the springs out. If memory serves me, the longer spring is the plain Satellite hood spring.

Posted By: wanna72rr

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 11:27 PM

I've heard the Air Grabber hood cars got Charger hood springs.
The Charger hood is longer than the Satellite. Plymouths have the front valance and Dodge hood extend to the bumpers.
Therefore need for heavier springs.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/14/13 11:49 PM

I just went up to the garage and checked. The longer spring is what's on the car now and holds the hood up without any issues. The metal also appears to be slightly thicker. I think you can actually see the difference in thickness in the photo.
Posted By: NOrrTH

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/15/13 12:02 AM

20 coils vs 18, and thicker, should equal a stronger spring.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/15/13 12:03 AM

Quote:

I've heard the Air Grabber hood cars got Charger hood springs.
The Charger hood is longer than the Satellite. Plymouths have the front valance and Dodge hood extend to the bumpers.
Therefore need for heavier springs.

Correct, I just looked thru the factory parts books on the 71/2's, hood spring pn# 3586092 was used on 71 Chargers with or with out fresh air hoods, PN 3586088 was used on Sat/RR/GTX non air hoods, PN# 3586092 (Charger) was used on 71 RR/GTX with fresh air hoods...FYI the 71 4dr and wagon Satellites had a different part# all together even though those models had a full hood,...so the 71-4 Charger hood spring is what you Air Grabber guys need for your Plymouths

Mike

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/15/13 01:29 AM

AAR makes a glass A/G hood, not cut out in the center as shipped but its a glass version of the hood.

Anyone know how is the quality on this product?

https://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=188_41&products_id=690
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/15/13 09:23 PM

Seems like the extra weight was mentioned when the Air Grabber was first introduced. I remember reading an article about it stating that even with the extra air, the weight offset the advantages.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/15/13 09:57 PM

The 70/71 parts book shows 4 different #s each with a unique # of coil turns, for the Belvedere/Roadrunner...
Also they identified each by a different paint color dab..

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/15/13 11:44 PM

Crap....I have 20 coils on each spring. And this is a 72 RR with an Air Grabber....so restoring these hood springs is pointless then?

Attached picture 7815620-IMG_0305.JPG
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/16/13 12:20 AM

The correct spring for the Plymouth AG hood is the same as the standard Charger hood spring.

The springs the PO had installed on my car would barely hold up the hood. I'm guessing they were Satellite springs. Hood would fall with the engine running. Not cool. Carried a broom handle in the car for a long time.

I scored a set of springs from a junkyard off a 72 Charger.

Works great now.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: 71/72 Road Runner Airgrabber hood weight - 08/16/13 06:19 AM

Quote:

The correct spring for the Plymouth AG hood is the same as the standard Charger hood spring.

The springs the PO had installed on my car would barely hold up the hood. I'm guessing they were Satellite springs. Hood would fall with the engine running. Not cool. Carried a broom handle in the car for a long time.

I scored a set of springs from a junkyard off a 72 Charger.

Works great now.

According to the 70/71 Mopar parts book..
The Charger used the same hood spring as a Belvedere Station Wagon..

Just my $0.02...
© 2024 Moparts Forums