Moparts

Axle assembly question ;

Posted By: RebelDart

Axle assembly question ; - 05/25/08 01:47 PM

I purchased this setup over two years ago, unassembled so I have a couple questions: I believe I have the Green bearing setup as both sides look identical (no adjuster) and there's an "O" ring seal on the outer bearing keeper. I have assembled third member, axles, brake assemblies and housing. I'm assuming assembly is pretty straightforward, axles simply slide in w/no adjustments needed (so simple even a caveman can do it ) ? Thanks for any input - also have 3/4 spring relocation kit, perches moved - what's the issue with the front spring hangers (I recall an issue with the bolts and haven't gotten that far yet ) ? Hope to have all installed today.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Axle assembly question ; - 05/25/08 07:39 PM

I prefer to remove the thrust block or buttons from the differential when using the Green bearings, if the dimensions of the housing or axles are a little off the buttons/block will place a constant side load on the bearings causing them to fail prematurely.

Re: Axle assembly question ; - 05/26/08 02:16 AM

This may have been done already - if you could clarify what I'm looking for - I've got a couple manuals to reference showing stock setup, but it looks as if these were changed to greens which I have never seen before. thanks.

Re: Axle assembly question ; - 05/26/08 12:40 PM

Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Axle assembly question ; - 05/26/08 03:37 PM

Order of assembly starting at housing end:
1. Beaded steel gasket
2. Brake backing plate
3. Black foam gasket
4. Green wheel bearing
5. Wheel bearing retainer

Lube the O rings. This makes installation easier.

Re: Axle assembly question ; - 05/26/08 04:19 PM

Thanks a bunch - couldn't ask for a more qualified answer !
© 2024 Moparts Forums