Moparts

Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ?

Posted By: RTshaker

Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/09/13 07:11 PM

Why were vinyl roofs required on the Superbirds??
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/09/13 07:32 PM

After Chrysler found out what it cost to modify & refinish the roofs on '69 500s & Daytonas - they figured it was cheaper to put a vinyl top on the Superbirds.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/09/13 08:10 PM

Quote:

After Chrysler found out what it cost to modify & refinish the roofs on '69 500s & Daytonas - they figured it was cheaper to put a vinyl top on the Superbirds.

I'd agree with that...

To lessen the amount of roof body work required is the popular notion...
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/09/13 10:03 PM

Quote:

Why were vinyl roofs required on the Superbirds??

To induce aerodynamic drag, to keep them just a tad under 200 MPH... JK
Posted By: mastiffd

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/09/13 11:04 PM

I was under the impression the vinyl tops were put on because of a time crunch to ensure the race versions would be approved in time for 1970 Daytona 500.
Due to the rear window plug a lot of bodywork and paint was needed and would have taken far more time than slapping vinyl tops on.

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 12:01 AM

Quote:

I was under the impression the vinyl tops were put on because of a time crunch to ensure the race versions would be approved in time for 1970 Daytona 500.
Due to the rear window plug a lot of bodywork and paint was needed and would have taken far more time than slapping vinyl tops on.

The biggest "time crunch" the Superbird production faced was to get all the cars required, built before Jan 1 1970 to skirt the new Federal front bumper law that was about to take place...the vinyl top was just cost/time cutting measures as Chrysler had no intention of building street consumption/production units, NASCAR forced their hand with that, along with prodding from the "other" manufacturers, as well as Richard Petty jumping ship in 69 to FORD, as he had no "wing" to ride in 69

mike
Posted By: 1970A13

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 01:04 AM

I read in a old mag another reason that all superbird had to be completed by jan 1 1970 was mandated end of vacuum headlights?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 02:18 AM

I would assume it was for the same reasons they did it on the RT/SE Challengers. MUCH cheaper than tooling up for a different roof to take the small window and less time consuming than finishing the plug so it would be invisible (cheaper).

Kevin
Posted By: jcc

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 02:23 AM

OT did anybody see the recent Red Salt flats Daytona with the seriously revised nose, painted black to at least mimic the original look?

I would not have thought that would be a preferred shape for the Salt flats relative to the factory nose.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 02:23 AM

CHEAPER
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 02:26 AM

Quote:

You pull that top off & you can really see what would be involved

I have pics of that area that I took when I looked at one to buy at "Mopars at the Battleship" ten years ago or so

I'll see if I can get them posted from floppy (I had a Mavica then)
Posted By: MAVERICKSHEMI

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 03:46 AM

Quote:

Read or saw something about that on TV or in a book.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 01:32 PM

So why were the chrome pieces on the A pillars? Guessing smooth for less drag, but not sure.

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 07:07 PM

Quote:

I read in a old mag another reason that all superbird had to be completed by jan 1 1970 was mandated end of vacuum headlights?

Don't think so, never heard that one....how would you explain 70-1 Ford Torinos with vacuum operated hidden headlites
Posted By: 1970A13

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/10/13 10:08 PM

I was wondering about that,think i read it in a 69 car life mag,do 70 Corvettes have electric headlight openers?
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/11/13 12:58 AM

i wouldn't put much weight into that theory. they are designed to open, in the event of a vacuum failure. the vacuum holds them shut. not having to do hours of bodywork to make it presentable is obvious. the a-pillar moldings are to reduce drag/turbulence across the windshield.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/11/13 02:09 AM

Quote:

I was wondering about that,think i read it in a 69 car life mag,do 70 Corvettes have electric headlight openers?

Corvettes got vac headlights in 68' & ended in 82'
Posted By: bdusted440

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/12/13 04:07 AM

It was to make them faster. The little bumps break the grip the wind has on the roof causing minor turbulence. A smooth top causes drag at high speeds. From Mo-par itself. Same with a boat bottom.

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/12/13 05:17 AM

Quote:

It was to make them faster. The little bumps break the grip the wind has on the roof causing minor turbulence. A smooth top causes drag at high speeds. From Mo-par itself. Same with a boat bottom.

So that's why Petty couldn't break the 200 MPH barrier, they deleted the vinyl roof on his car,... "restrictor roof racing" ...Dam Bill France!

Attached picture 7811081-petty.jpg
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/12/13 05:22 AM

Quote:

So that's why Petty couldn't break the 200 MPH barrier, they deleted the vinyl roof on his car,... "restrictor roof racing" ...Dam Bill France!

LMAO...
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/12/13 01:26 PM

Quote:

They missed mine !!!

Before !

Attached picture 7811195-Bird1982.jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/12/13 01:29 PM

After.

Attached picture 7811198-Picture219.jpg
Posted By: cknight

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/12/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

Smokey's Yunicks's 7/8 scale Chevelle had the vinyl roof a few years earlier, to break up the boundry layer drag. Regards, Chase
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Vinyl roofs on superbirds.. why ? - 08/12/13 02:04 PM

Quote:

The old "reverse golf ball skin" trick?

© 2024 Moparts Forums