Moparts

mini starters...

Posted By: Moeggenpar

mini starters... - 08/01/13 09:10 PM

Are any mods needed for installation? Any grinding for clearance etc? I don't have headers and I'm replacing the original starter.Any tips for install would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: mini starters... - 08/01/13 09:35 PM

The early minis use the same 2 stud wiring as the old starters. The newer version the starter relay wire is a plug in. I have minis on both my trucks and love them. no clearance problems ...
Posted By: stumpy

Re: mini starters... - 08/01/13 11:17 PM

From the tech archives. Wealth of info in that section. http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/1.html
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: mini starters... - 08/01/13 11:36 PM

What engine family ? there could be an issue with a big block low deck and a mini starter , especially with a header not designed to be used with one .
Posted By: Moeggenpar

Re: mini starters... - 08/01/13 11:51 PM

Quote:

What engine family ? there could be an issue with a big block low deck and a mini starter , especially with a header not designed to be used with one .

It's a stock 383 w/out headers
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: mini starters... - 08/02/13 03:45 AM

here is my mini starter on a RB/440 with center dump manifolds, truck frame.

should bolt right in, your are looking for a 92-93 5.2 DAKOTA starter.

the stock 68 wires will bolt right to the 2 studs on the mini starter.

FYI...some times there is a plastic extension piece bolted to the 2 studs on the starter for differnt model car/trucks. that will be removed before you install mini starter on the 68 383.

in this pic you can see the 2 studs with a stock wire bolted up, it looks tight on clearance at the studs but the core plug gives it plenty of clearance.

next you might want to check right at the screw for the silnoid on the starter and the block to make sure there is enuff clearance. see it in pic also.

you will notice a big difference in wieght/clearance/cranking speed with a mini starter.

Attached picture 7799208-ministarter.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums