Moparts

stock or super stock rear springs??

Posted By: 1962Savoy

stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 07:30 PM

I would like to know the difference between the stock and super stock rear springs. I'm thinking of replacing my stock ones

Attached picture 4870406-62ply32562-2.jpg
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 08:19 PM

All I know is that I bought the MP SS springs to replace my factory XHD (Hemi) springs and I got a nice 4" lift on the back! I don't know if they sent me the wrong ones or what, but now I've ordered a set of XHD replacements and the SS springs will make nice wall ornaments.

Dave
Posted By: 69chargeryeehaa

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 08:28 PM

i agree, my old charger had those ss springs, front torsion bars cranked all the way up to even it out, unless you like that look, it's alright, and with the right tires it looks ok....rears are 275/60/15's on 10" prostar draglites. but it was border line 4x4..
Posted By: 69chargeryeehaa

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 08:38 PM

here's my current 69 r/t with the same rims...stock r/t springs.

Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 08:40 PM

I have the 2800lb S/S springs in my Barracuda. That thing rides like an empty garbage truck!
Posted By: topside

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 09:28 PM

The SS springs were designed for drag racing, and teh leaves are oriented so that they're biased toward the front section of the spring to resist "wind-up" or deflection. The typical amount of ride height increase is around 1.5"-2" as they also have more arch. If you use the 002/003 springs, AKA "3,000-lb A-body", you'll find that the R/R will sit higher than the L/R. This can be avoided by using 2 of the same #, or adjusted out using the torsion bar height adjustment. A requirement with SS springs is to use a longer ("taller") rear shock, as the SS springs allow more chassis/axle separation. Imperial rear shocks, or old D100 ft shocks, are the cheapest way to go. The SS springs are pretty "lively", so on the street a shock with more control might be necessary to reduce the bouncing.

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 10:36 PM

Quote:

i agree, my old charger had those ss springs, front torsion bars cranked all the way up to even it out, unless you like that look, it's alright, and with the right tires it looks ok....rears are 275/60/15's on 10" prostar draglites. but it was border line 4x4..

If mine looked like yours I would be OK with it, but mine actually has an honest 4-5" between the fender lip and the top of the tire using the MP SS springs!

Even with the proper, longer spring perches my shackles lie flat against the frame.

Dave
Posted By: Stanton

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 10:41 PM

Quote:

If mine looked like yours I would be OK with it, but mine actually has an honest 4-5" between the fender lip and the top of the tire using the MP SS springs!

The springs are supposed to go UNDER the axle !!
Posted By: mrpatel

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 10:41 PM

I just ordered a set of 002 & 003 springs this week. I hope they are ok, there seams to be many opinions on these. I have heard and read everything from love em gotta have em to Mopar junk quality issues. I plan on using a couple of lowering blocks if needed to adjust the ride height on the street. I hope I didn't just waste $250 bucks.
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 10:43 PM

I used a three position front hanger on my springs to lower them here is a link to something similar and a picture.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/manciniracing20.html

Attached picture 4870710-MVC-809F.JPG

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 10:45 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 10:46 PM

Here's a customers car, 69 RoadRunner,under going a "restomod"......SS springs, running a Hoosier 31X15X15 "racing" tire......the car SITS up there!....stiff Too!

Attached picture 4870715-BlkRR2.jpg
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 10:47 PM

Quote:

I would like to know the difference between the stock and super stock rear springs. I'm thinking of replacing my stock ones

first, thats a really neat '62! i really like the early b-bodies, especially '62's. i was looking thru a mopar chassis manual and it says the '62's have 20" front segment and a 35" rear segment, the same as a-bodies. perhaps mancini's xhd a-body springs would work (bolt up) and not raise the back up a bunch, . just an idea.

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 10:54 PM

Quote:

I used a three position front hanger on my springs to lower them here is a link to something similar and a picture.

This Customer car has them also,.....they are currently on the upper hole, or the "lowest" you can go ......keep in mind that's a 31 " tall tire!

Attached picture 4870728-BlkRR5.jpg
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 11:20 PM

Quote:

Looks like a street car. I would stick with a stock replacement or an XHD spring that ESPO sells.
Posted By: Pentastar440

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 11:25 PM

SS springs are for race cars. Why does anyone put them on street cars and then complain about the way they sit or how they ride ??
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 11:41 PM

Ya dont hear me complaining. This car hooks too good with the S/S springs. The stock springs were like a wet noodle when faced with a 4800rpm WOT clutch dump!

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/10/08 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This Customer car has them also,.....they are currently on the upper hole, or the "lowest" you can go ......keep in mind that's a 31 " tall tire!

Wow that side view really says it all, hopefully they will settle down some, mine did but only about an inch, is there still space for a taller perch if you had one made by someone like AndyF.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/11/08 02:40 AM

I run SS springs on my '65 Coronet. They work fine if you get the correct ones. For a street car you might consider getting two left side springs rather than a left and a right.

I have 3800 lb four speed springs on this car and the rear end sits down just fine.

Attached picture 4871328-Coronetinlane.jpg
Posted By: BLUECUDA

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/11/08 03:08 AM

This is what my Cuda looks like with SS springs

Attached picture 4871401-Cudapics-5-11-17-07009ReSized2.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/11/08 04:41 AM

I just put the Mancini 3400 lb SS springs on my 63 and it sits just right. And yes they are the same size as my sons 72 Dart springs are. Ron

Posted By: CoyoteJack

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/11/08 05:18 PM

My Demon has 002/003 springs from Mancini. It's a little high in the back, but not to bad. Yes it's a rougher ride on the street but I don't mind. It hooks real good.

Jack

Attached picture 4872281-CHIPFOOSE640.jpg
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/11/08 05:59 PM

I have Mopar SS springs on my car and it doesn't sit high.
Posted By: 1962Savoy

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/11/08 08:05 PM

Thanks guys for all the good info...

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/16/08 11:01 PM

Quote:

SS springs are for race cars. Why does anyone put them on street cars and then complain about the way they sit or how they ride ??

THIS is why!!

I like high and if my car sat like ANY in this thread, I'd have been tickled, but this is ridiculous!

This is before with the factory Hemi Springs;

Keep in mind that this is on the LOWEST setting on the front spring hanger. And before anyone asks why I didn't just use the Hemi springs again; they needed to be restored and since I'm planning on racing this car, I figured the SS springs would be the way to go.

Dave
Posted By: SRT8Challenger

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 01:16 AM

Might want to double check and make sure you have the correct front hangers?
Correct spring length?'
Wich way are the rear shackles, is the lower end toward the front or rear of the car?
Something does not look right.
Ed

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 01:32 AM

Dave if you noted my ealier pic, this customers car has the correct SS springs, the spring is on the lowest front "setting".....and it dose sit high, but the owner is running these Hoosiers...31 inches tall, big tires!....when I had some "stock" tires rolling it around, it looked pretty much like your pics,....either more tire, or put some XHD's on there, or have the Hemi springs redone?.....I think you might be lucky if they settle about an inch, if your lucky,.....did you tighen all the bolts/ shackles with the cars weight on it, or hanging, cause that can cause a high ride sometimes, plus ruin your bushings! if you drive it

Attached picture 4883677-BlkRR1.jpg

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 01:40 AM

Quote:

I just ordered a set of 002 & 003 springs this week. I hope they are ok, there seams to be many opinions on these. I have heard and read everything from love em gotta have em to Mopar junk quality issues. I plan on using a couple of lowering blocks if needed to adjust the ride height on the street. I hope I didn't just waste $250 bucks.

I just picked up my springs, you guys are starting make me wonder if i should even bother putting them on. The quality of them kinda looks off and one will definately sit higher than the other side. So what is the set up for the street and 600 plus horse power and an automatic?

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 04:28 PM

Quote:

Might want to double check and make sure you have the correct front hangers?
Correct spring length?'
Wich way are the rear shackles, is the lower end toward the front or rear of the car?
Something does not look right.
Ed

I agree, but I'm not sure what isn't right exactly. I bought the SS spring hangers at the same time, but who knows. The shackle is sitting with the lower all the way forward. In fact, I had to put pressure on the bottom of the spring to lengthen it out enough just to get the shackle on!

I was going to check the part numbers on my invoice (no more part numbers on the springs, 'cause I painted them) to double check but the MP catalogue on line isn't available.

Dave

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 04:33 PM

Quote:

Dave if you noted my ealier pic, this customers car has the correct SS springs, the spring is on the lowest front "setting".....and it dose sit high, but the owner is running these Hoosiers...31 inches tall, big tires!....when I had some "stock" tires rolling it around, it looked pretty much like your pics,....either more tire, or put some XHD's on there, or have the Hemi springs redone?.....I think you might be lucky if they settle about an inch, if your lucky,.....did you tighen all the bolts/ shackles with the cars weight on it, or hanging, cause that can cause a high ride sometimes, plus ruin your bushings! if you drive it

Thanks Mike,

I did notice that pic and it was really the only one that looked similar to mine (but not as bad), if those are 31" tires, then those are probably the same springs. Mine are 275/60/15's which are 28" tall and I'm not going any bigger; actually I'm planning on a set of repop poly's on 15x7's for Pure Stock, so it needs to work with normal size tires.

Funny, some of the other cars with SS springs in this thread look just fine. Maybe it's a later B-body problem?

At this point, I'll either order the MP XHD's or rebuild my hemi springs.

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: farmington

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 04:41 PM

You might have the E body springs on there. If the shackles are flat up against the frame rail. Or, try lifting the car up via the frame and get the tires off of the ground, then try to pry the shackes down. Mine sorta "over centered" themselves during install on my 71 b body. But be careful, when they let go, they really let go. Something is definitely wrong here.

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 07:25 PM

Bob Mazzolini usually sells B-body springs for A-bodies so they do not sit so high, you do have to use a different rear hanger or it will rub. So I am really surprised how high those two cars are sitting since what I have seen those b-body springs do not have the arc like the 002/003's. Might ask Zippy if he has heard any of this.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 08:38 PM

You may want to consider this. I used ESPO's HD
6 leaf springs to replace my stock worn out 4 1/2 leaf springs. They gave a nice lift to the car and are very comfortable on the road. I did not want a hard uncomfortable rise so I did not go with superstocks.
Here are before and after shots.

Attached picture 4885231-leftside,before.jpg
Posted By: SRT8Challenger

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 08:38 PM

When I bought mine from ESPO, 2" over!!
I had a heck of a time getting the lower bottom of the shakle to go towards the rear. I had to jack the body up enough to take all the weight off the springs and have a helper pull down with me on the rear of the spring to get it to "FLIP" so the bottom will go towards the rear. Then it took a day or two to settle. I think this is the problem. That spring has way to much arc in the rear, and the shakle need to flip back and remove some arc and it will lower the car.
Yo will also have to loosen the rear shakle bolts and lube the rubbers for it to flip.
Hope this helps.. I also thought I had the wrong, shorter springs.
Ed
Posted By: GMP440

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 08:40 PM

The aftershot with new HD six leafs.

Attached picture 4885235-left,after.jpg

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 09:11 PM

Quote:

When I bought mine from ESPO, 2" over!!
I had a heck of a time getting the lower bottom of the shakle to go towards the rear. I had to jack the body up enough to take all the weight off the springs and have a helper pull down with me on the rear of the spring to get it to "FLIP" so the bottom will go towards the rear. Then it took a day or two to settle. I think this is the problem. That spring has way to much arc in the rear, and the shakle need to flip back and remove some arc and it will lower the car.
Yo will also have to loosen the rear shakle bolts and lube the rubbers for it to flip.
Hope this helps.. I also thought I had the wrong, shorter springs.
Ed

Thanks for the advice. I really think my problem is bigger than that, though; I actually had to put a floor jack under the spring and lift the car up just to get the shackle to attach flat to the front. I just don't think there's anywhere near enough length to get the shackle to "flip". I could be wrong though......

Dave
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 09:34 PM

I prefer the HD springs because I'm not a fan of the old school butt in the air look. I put HD springs on my Mom's Duster two years ago to replace the sagging factory springs. They work great and have helped the car go 1.60 60' times full body and interior with one of my pump gas 360's.

Re: stock or super stock rear springs?? - 12/17/08 11:51 PM

Quote:

I prefer the HD springs because I'm not a fan of the old school butt in the air look.

Me neither;
'68 - '70 B bodies are loooooong, and they look it especially with low suspension and small diameter tires. I think having them a little higher with 28" tall tires really shortens up the look of the car. Some of the 318 cars with sacked out springs look more like an Impala than a mid-size musclecar

Low:

[image]http://andy440.com/70Bee_k.jpg[/image]

Not low;

[image]http://www.midohiomopars.org/Members%20rides/Tom%20&%20Sharon's%20Bee.jpg[/image]

edit: I don't know what the big issue is with posting pics today, sorry!
© 2024 Moparts Forums