Moparts

Challenger rear ride height

Posted By: HEMIDOG 70

Challenger rear ride height - 07/31/13 12:44 AM

I would like to pick the rear of my Challenger up just a little. I have the Mopar xhd springs on it. I have already removed them once and had them rearched they sagged back down. The question is would add a leafs pick the car up a little without destroying the ride or do I need to get new rear leafs again? The shackles I'm running are the e&b body ones from Mancini. the resto e body one they sell are about 1/4" longer but I don't think that will make much difference. I would only like to lift it about 1" to 1 1/2".

Attached picture 7795884-IMG_3843resizedformoparts.jpg
Posted By: fireeng

Re: Challenger rear ride height - 07/31/13 01:20 AM

I know I caught some slack on this this board but I lifted mine with $60 air shocks. I just run about 20 pounds in them and the car still rides decent.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Challenger rear ride height - 07/31/13 01:52 AM

I run XHD's on my Challenger and they had dropped a bit too low. I also wanted a higher spring rate. I had a local spring shop add a full leaf to each for $100. It picked the rear up about an inch and increased spring rate from about 140 to 170. Just what I was after.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Challenger rear ride height - 07/31/13 05:14 PM

I went the opposite direction. When I put the caltracs & split mono leafs I went with a -1" in ride height due to the tall 315/60/15 (30x13) tires to keep it low.

Attached picture 7796705-100_1664[640x480].jpg
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Challenger rear ride height - 08/01/13 02:34 AM

Air Shocks. Been on for 8 years. Never have to worry about sagging springs.

Attached picture 7797474-73Charline.jpg
Posted By: ek3

Re: Challenger rear ride height - 08/01/13 02:42 AM

you can fix that easy. take the springs back out. put it in a hyd. press and cold bend the main leaf close to the spring eye. lay the spring on its side to measure the true arch and adjust accordingly. this will not sag like a re-arch across the whole spring. it is a change in the fixed mounting point.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Challenger rear ride height - 08/01/13 03:39 AM

Quote:

Air Shocks. Been on for 8 years. Never have to worry about sagging springs.

....or one side lower than the other.

Painted mine black and got that slight rake that a Challenger looks best at. No one's ever questioned them either.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Challenger rear ride height - 08/01/13 04:01 AM

Its been posted many times but I'll add. The upper shock mount is made of (heavy gauge) sheet metal. Its not designed to handle spring loads. If the upper shock mount cracks or the holes get ovaled out by airshock loads it is a very invasive repair. Best to keep the spring loads on the springs if you are really driving it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums