Moparts

Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body

Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/30/13 03:41 AM

So I have an A-body with factory manual brakes, I've done the conversion on other cars but always been power. What master cylinder do I need to get with the adapter? Looking for one with a 15/16 bore. Also is an adjustable rod necessary or not?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/30/13 04:25 AM

An '89 Dakota has a 15/16" bore alum M/C but I do not know if it has the recess inside the rear piston recess "thimble" which is REQUIRED for a manual brake app. An alum M/C has either a thinner flange or the piston is closer to the flange (#2 iirc) which will want a shorter pushrod but the adapter moves the whole shebang forward which makes up for some (or all) of that distance. With the right (with the recess) M/C I would mock it up & go from there. There are several lengths of OE manual brake pushrods available
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/30/13 04:51 AM

Dr Diff sells the MC and adapter as a whole (kit). I'm not sure if a manual pushrod works; however, I bought an adjustable one from him for myself. I'm in the process of doing this swap. Just need to repair my firewall.
Posted By: Burkenator

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/30/13 11:14 AM

My Dr. Diff kit worked great with my original manual pushrod. Did not even need to adjust to make my brake lights work correctly.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/30/13 03:59 PM

Unfortunately, no off-the-shelf, 15/16" bore aluminum master cylinder will fit a manual brake application.

As far as I know, I'm the only source for the master. I'm currently out, but the machine shop is working on another batch.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/30/13 04:00 PM

Quote:

My Dr. Diff kit worked great with my original manual pushrod. Did not even need to adjust to make my brake lights work correctly.

That is the way it is designed to work!

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/30/13 04:49 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, no off-the-shelf, 15/16" bore aluminum master cylinder will fit a manual brake application.

As far as I know, I'm the only source for the master. I'm currently out, but the machine shop is working on another batch.

How come on your website it states for B/E only?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/30/13 05:23 PM

On this note, why not just run a 15/16" four bolt M/C? Other than the slight weight savings I don't see the benefit of the 2 bolt setup. I did check out Rock Auto to price a 4 bolt unit, about $30 for a new Raybestos Professional one.

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 07/31/13 06:11 AM

As far as I know, my website lists A, B, and E body applications:

* 4 Hole for all A-Bodies and B/E-Bodies w/power brakes

* 4 Stud for B/E Bodies w/manual brakes

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 08/01/13 05:11 AM

Quote:

As far as I know, my website lists A, B, and E body applications:

* 4 Hole for all A-Bodies and B/E-Bodies w/power brakes

* 4 Stud for B/E Bodies w/manual brakes

Exactly, why no 4 stud for A-body with manual brakes... why is it different than B or E?

Re: Andy F modern MC adapter in A-body - 08/01/13 07:20 AM

A 4 stud adapter does not fit manual brake equipped A-bodies because the studs are mounted in the firewall.
© 2024 Moparts Forums