Moparts

Floats for a Carter AVS?

Posted By: Stationwagonguy

Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 06:09 AM

Trying to rebuild the AVS from my '70 300, and realized one of the floats is cracked. Pretty badly at that. Anyhow, I was going to buy a new set of Edelbrock ones from Summit Racing, but they list them for AFB AND SVS carbs, as well as Edelbrock ones. I know the AVS and current Edelbrocks are about the same, but I was under the impression the AFBs are different. Can anyone help me? Are these the right floats for my carb?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

Part number on my carb is MO 6125S. Unfortunately, I don't even have the floats handy to compare them.

If those aren't right, could someone point me in the direction of the correct ones?

Thanks!
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 08:46 AM

FYI You have the wrong carb for a 70 440, a 6125 is for a 1971 383.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 09:08 AM

Quote:

Trying to rebuild the AVS from my '70 300, and realized one of the floats is cracked. Pretty badly at that. Anyhow, I was going to buy a new set of Edelbrock ones from Summit Racing, but they list them for AFB AND SVS carbs, as well as Edelbrock ones. I know the AVS and current Edelbrocks are about the same, but I was under the impression the AFBs are different. Can anyone help me? Are these the right floats for my carb?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

Part number on my carb is MO 6125S. Unfortunately, I don't even have the floats handy to compare them.

If those aren't right, could someone point me in the direction of the correct ones?

Thanks!

Can't tell in pic. The AVS floats are taller.

You can heat the leaking brass float, stick it in water, and see where the bubbles come from to spot the leak. Then resolder where it's leaking.

Here's the one you need

Attached picture 4869701-05SDswap0025.JPG

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 04:12 PM

Quote:

Can't tell in pic. The AVS floats are taller.

You can heat the leaking brass float, stick it in water, and see where the bubbles come from to spot the leak. Then resolder where it's leaking.

Here's the one you need

One I have is waaaaay beyond repair. I don't need a hot water test to show me a ginormous 3 mm wide, 2 cm long crack.

Do you know where I can find the correct float?

And I figured the carb wouldn't be the original. Is there any reason this won't work properly on a 440 though?
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 04:22 PM

I have in the distant past made an AFB float work in an AVS and the pic from the Summit site looks like the old AFB float.

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 05:23 PM

Quote:

I have in the distant past made an AFB float work in an AVS and the pic from the Summit site looks like the old AFB float.

Now that I look through my carbs... I have both short and tall one in there. Just get them to match side to side. Play with the tongs to get the spec'd droop and rise float settings.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 05:27 PM

i think you can still get them at local part store http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=429&ptset=A&searchfor=Carburetor+Float

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 05:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now that I look through my carbs... I have both short and tall one in there. Just get them to match side to side. Play with the tongs to get the spec'd droop and rise float settings.

See, I wouldn't know how to change the settings on it. Still don't know enough about carbs. ops:

Seriously, is there a part # or something so if I ordered them from someone I'd know I have the right part?

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 06:08 PM

I just talked to a guy at a carb shop that told me that I cannot use a AFB float, or a newer Carterbrock float, and that there were 4 different original AVS floats from his memory, but wouldn't tell me which one I needed unless I bought a $200 rebuild kit from him that included them.

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 06:16 PM

Poking around, I *think* this is the correct one for me, Carter float #F34. Anybody know?

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 06:28 PM

Quote:

I just talked to a guy at a carb shop that told me that I cannot use a AFB float, or a newer Carterbrock float, and that there were 4 different original AVS floats from his memory, but wouldn't tell me which one I needed unless I bought a $200 rebuild kit from him that included them.

I have a holley rebuilt 6125 at home. Runs fine. I'll check the float in it. I'm pretty sure its that Napa 2-426.

Std rebuilt AVS kit w/o floats is like $40-$50.

Some carb guys are p@#$ks. One in MO once wouldn't sell me anything until I gave him some statement that carb was for off road application or some stupid stuff. Another rebuilt a holley for me and when I asked for the old parts, they tore the gaskets, like it was illigal to reuse them.

Quote:

See, I wouldn't know how to change the settings on it. Still don't know enough about carbs. ops:

Seriously, is there a part # or something so if I ordered them from someone I'd know I have the right part?

If you don't know how to adjust float, this question seems moot.

I think if you asked here in Q and A you could learn, IF you are willing??

Do you have a 69-71 Factory manual? Someone here may be able to send you a scan of the carb section.

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 06:32 PM

I wasn't really aware that floats could be adjusted. All I know is the ones I have are cracked and need to be replaced. :shrug:

I would like to learn, yes. I guess I have a lot to do though, haha...

Yeah, I've realized quite a few carb people are nuts. I've been having some weird conversations trying to figure this out.

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 06:32 PM

And I have a '70 manual, but if this is a '71 carb, would it help? I guess I gotta peek through it...
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 07:01 PM

float # FL97 Standard
List price is just under $18
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 07:27 PM

The size of the float makes no difference as long as the level is correct.The difference is in the tang that contacts the needle/seat housing.Bottom is AVS,top two AFB.

Attached picture 4870397-Float2.JPG

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 08:19 PM

What sort of measurements are there to make sure it's in spec? I'm confused, you just bend the tabs until it sits where you want it to then? What does this effect?

I really do appreciate the info, I'm not from a family of car people, so I've never had anyone to really teach me any of this sort of stuff.

Thanks.

Oh, and is the Standard part number above definitely the correct one?
Posted By: dmerc

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 08:43 PM

You are not yet ready to walk on the ricepaper grasshopper. Seek the wisdom of carb book and learn the ways of venturi and float....
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 09:08 PM

With the float level setting where you want it you want the tang to be contacting the needle at pretty close to a 90 degree angle.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/10/08 10:51 PM

There are two settings:
Float level
Float drop

If you go through your manual you will get an idea of how they are set. Float level is set first with the carb air horn upsidedown. This is the level that will close off the incoming fuel. Float drop is the distance the float will drop to open the needle valve to let fuel in.

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 12:45 AM

Quote:

There are two settings:
Float level
Float drop

If you go through your manual you will get an idea of how they are set. Float level is set first with the carb air horn upsidedown. This is the level that will close off the incoming fuel. Float drop is the distance the float will drop to open the needle valve to let fuel in.

As usual, Jim saves the day.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna go read through the manual a bit.

I did try a whole bunch of local parts stores. No one can find floats for me. One could find them and can't order them, another pulled out a carb book, and under the part # on my carb, there is no float part # listed at all. Float part numbers listed for everything else BUT mine. Typical.

Any other suggestions? I got a few numbers to some local private folks who might, but I thought I'd ask again here.

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 05:29 AM

Quote:

The size of the float makes no difference as long as the level is correct.The difference is in the tang that contacts the needle/seat housing.Bottom is AVS,top two AFB.

I think I have some of those AFB types in my AVS. I can get the right float height numbers, closed and droop.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 02:20 PM

To learn about that carb I'd start by getting a book such as the following:

http://www.mre-books.com/sa130/sa130_2.html
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 02:22 PM

Quote:

If the info is coming from Bill at A&M you can be sure its right.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 06:05 PM

That carb you have is in the 600cfm range. The 300 would have had a HP 440 carb in the 725-750cfm range.

It will run good and be pretty spunky on the lower end. Upper range? It may fall on it's face. Are you racing, or just cruising?

It should MPG a little better than the bigger one.

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 06:29 PM

Quote:

That carb you have is in the 600cfm range. The 300 would have had a HP 440 carb in the 725-750cfm range.

It will run good and be pretty spunky on the lower end. Upper range? It may fall on it's face. Are you racing, or just cruising?

It should MPG a little better than the bigger one.

Currently, it's a big cruiser. I like to beat on it a bit, but it's no racecar. 727 with a shiftkit, 2.76 open rear end.

It sucks at the bottom end, does pretty well up top. It never stops winding out. I'm sure it can't do 110 MPH thanks to it's aerodynamics, but it's a lot of fun up top.

Eventually, I'll do something else, but for now I just want it to be driveable again. :shrug:
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 06:35 PM

Quote:

I'm sure it can't do 110 MPH thanks to it's aerodynamics, but it's a lot of fun up top.

/quote]

You just may be surprised!
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 06:39 PM

Quote:

That # came right out of the standard parts manual
if you use crossover book , all bets are off.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 07:28 PM

With your weight/gearing that size of carb will work fine for you. I just stopped by my parts house & they show in the standard "hygrade" brand a FL98 float for an AFB & 2 floats for AVS's an FL95 and a FL97. After reading prior posts I dont know if his book was a crossover manual or not

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure it can't do 110 MPH thanks to it's aerodynamics, but it's a lot of fun up top.

You just may be surprised!

Haha, I know the speedo is off, but I've put is well past the marked 120 on there. Whether I was really going that fast, who knows.

Re: Floats for a Carter AVS? - 12/11/08 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That # came right out of the standard parts manual
if you use crossover book , all bets are off.

Cool, thanks Bill! Gonna go look it up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums