Moparts

Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive?

Posted By: MidPenMopar

Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 04:21 AM

I have been buying Brad Penn oil for sometime and it works well in the roadrunner but it's $8 a quart.

I was given an 11oz bottle of that Rislone ZZDP additive so I was wondering if I just bought the less expensive oil at Costco and tossed that stuff in it might be way cheaper and do the same type of protecting as the Brad Penn.

Anyone use that additive??

Attached picture 7791676-Risleone.jpg
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 03:17 PM

i bought 2 bottles last month for 2 of my cars. I think it was $9 at pep boys. its in both of my cars, that's about all I can say about it.
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 03:32 PM

I've been using the Eastwood ZDDP additive.

http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=zddp+

I usually buy it as a 3 pak (@$27.00) when Eastwood runs some king of special (which happens often lol). I believe they are running a free shipping promo now.

I add a bottle to off the shelf 10W-40 at oil change time.
Posted By: Yellow Fever

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 04:34 PM

I got the ZDDPLUS off Ebag, same stuff at Eastwood but cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ZDDPlus-ZDDP-...641&vxp=mtr
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 04:37 PM

I haven't tried the Rislone additive, so I'm no help there.

I've been using ZDDPlus along with whatever 5gal jug of 10-30 is cheapest at Wallyworld.

Has anyone had an oil analysis done on any of the Zinc additive products to find out if their claims are true?
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 04:39 PM

Quote:

I got the ZDDPLUS off Ebag, same stuff at Eastwood but cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ZDDPlus-ZDDP-...641&vxp=mtr

That's cheaper than buying off one of the distributors on the ZDDPlus web site!
Posted By: Yellow Fever

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 04:46 PM

Yeah I bought the 10 pack a while ago. Good to have on hand.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 04:55 PM

we've been using it here. Rislone has been around a while ands they are one of the few companies addressing the need.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 05:12 PM

Stu....yes, I'm using it right now. I contacted Rislone about 6 months ago to verify my math and they confirmed that its about 15,500 ppm zinc. That's a great ratio given the volume of the bottle.

You can use any oil you want (I'm using regular Valvoline 10/30), I calculated IIRC that my crankcase ppm is now right about 1600ppm assuming the valvoline is about 800 to start with.

I believe the Rislone product to be a great solution (pun intended) and I like the fact it's an off the shelf item at a good price.
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 05:32 PM

I have not used the Rislone but am doing the same thing using the Lucas Oil Break-In Additive. Adding 4oz to 4-5 qts of regular oil brings the zinc to 1200-1500 ppm (which I think is in the recommended level).

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=82&catid=9&loc=show&headTitle= - Engine Break-In Oil Additive - TB Zinc Plus

Posted By: 383man

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/27/13 08:52 PM

I have been using the Risoline ZINC additive for almost 2 years. Been working good as I add a bottle every time I change my oil. In fact I have 2 bottle's right now in my garage sitting in the top of my tool box. My buddy works at Pep Boys and thats how I found it as they carry it in stock. I have also used the Comp ZINC additive but this was a bit cheaper and has worked very good for me with my flat tappet solid cam. Ron
Posted By: dobie

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/28/13 01:25 AM

I use Comp Cams break in additive at every oil change. For oil I use Mobil 1 15w-50.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/28/13 02:21 AM

1 bottle of the Lucas break-in is around $12 at Advanced Auto and is enough for 3 oil changes.

Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/28/13 04:41 AM

Thank you all for the great advice!!!

Posted By: Dixie

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/28/13 04:24 PM

Good stuff, thanks !
Posted By: strokerchall

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/28/13 08:47 PM

Recently I went oil shopping at NAPA, the guy asked what I was buying the oil for.I explained a hyd lifter 512 stroker,he told me to put the VR1 oil back and handed me JOE GIBBS HOT ROD OIL,I said ...can't I just put zinc additive in the VR1,he explained most syn. oils have high detergents that destroy zinc,hands down JOE GIBBS is the best for my motor.He went on to say a customer he has bought an 80k dual 454 boat and cheaped out on oil and wiped out both cams.

I don't know if he was FOS or not but seemed to really know his stuff,infact when I approched the counter about oils they called him from the back

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/28/13 10:55 PM

Zinc is a metal, not sure how a detergent would "destroy" it.
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/29/13 02:13 AM

Quote:

Recently I went oil shopping at NAPA, the guy asked what I was buying the oil for.I explained a hyd lifter 512 stroker,he told me to put the VR1 oil back and handed me JOE GIBBS HOT ROD OIL,I said ...can't I just put zinc additive in the VR1,he explained most syn. oils have high detergents that destroy zinc,hands down JOE GIBBS is the best for my motor.He went on to say a customer he has bought an 80k dual 454 boat and cheaped out on oil and wiped out both cams.

I don't know if he was FOS or not but seemed to really know his stuff,infact when I approched the counter about oils they called him from the back

Don't know which one you picked up but VR1 oil is available as synthetic (black bottle) and non-synthetic (silver bottle). According to Valvoline, both have high zinc for flat tappet applications, so no need to add any more.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/racing-motor-oil/6

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/racing-motor-oil/8

Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/29/13 02:24 AM

NAPA blow hole. lol

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/29/13 01:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't know which one you picked up but VR1 oil is available as synthetic (black bottle) and non-synthetic (silver bottle). According to Valvoline, both have high zinc for flat tappet applications, so no need to add any more.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/racing-motor-oil/6

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/racing-motor-oil/8

Be careful, the 20-50W has 1400ppm, all other weights are only 1100ppm.
Still need to be around 1600 so why waste money on the VR?
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/29/13 04:25 PM

How big is your cam Stu? Bet simple 10-30 Rotella will be fine. The semi synthetic in 10-30 is good stuff. $16 a gallon at Walmart.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/29/13 05:40 PM

"...oils have high detergents that destroy zinc."

Myth! Doesn't happen.

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/29/13 05:42 PM

"Be careful, the 20-50W has 1400ppm, all other weights are only 1100ppm.
Still need to be around 1600 so why waste money on the VR"

That's rather a broad brush, don't ya think?

Re: Anyone use the Rislone ZZDP additive? - 07/29/13 05:44 PM

Quote:

How big is your cam Stu? Bet simple 10-30 Rotella will be fine. The semi synthetic in 10-30 is good stuff. $16 a gallon at Walmart.

Depending on the cam, stock to mild cams, heavy duty all fleet (diesel oil) will be all you need.
© 2024 Moparts Forums