Moparts

Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 05:45 AM

How the heck do you do it with the steering shaft in the coupler. I can't figure out how to leverage it with so little clearance. Tried grinding the head and pounding it through. Bad idea. it must be tapered because it aint budging and I don't want to ruin my coupling.

HELP!!!
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 06:33 AM

I spray them with a good penetrating oil like Kroil and let it soak in. You can plug or tape one side to keep the oil in longer. After soaking in, the ones I've had have always just tapped out with a pin punch.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 06:38 AM

Before removing any bolt or nut that I haven't removed before, I spray just about every bolt or nut with penetrating oil. Sure beats fixing a broken bolt that's had 30-40 years to corrode and seize up.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 11:41 AM

Must use the correct punch, 5/16"roll pin punch.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 01:00 PM

It usually come out one direction a little easier than the other. And if I recall, the 5/16" drift punch is a little on the fat side and might jam itself in there once the pin is out.

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 01:06 PM

Quote:

It usually come out one direction a little easier than the other. And if I recall, the 5/16" drift punch is a little on the fat side and might jam itself in there once the pin is out.

It'll come out either side, it does not matter. And a roll pin punch won't get stuck. Here's what a roll pin punch looks like. And 5/16" is the exact size and you can not use any other size.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 01:13 PM

A good punch like the man said and maybe have a helper get a firm grasp on the wheel to steady the target.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 01:53 PM

Quote:

How the heck do you do it with the steering shaft in the coupler. I can't figure out how to leverage it with so little clearance. Tried grinding the head and pounding it through. Bad idea. it must be tapered because it aint budging and I don't want to ruin my coupling.

HELP!!!

Get the rite tool, <$20..

http://www.custommachinecomponents.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=3&id=8

Just my $0.02...

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 08:23 PM

Guys, I think we are talking about different things. I am talking about the DOWEL pin. Not the ROLL pin. see the diagram. It shows the dowel pin hole. it's about as thick as a pencil lead and a quarter inch long. It keeps the end of the steering column from sliding out of the coupling.

Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 08:33 PM

Never had a problem using a drift pin to pound it out. Your issue may be that you ground down the end and it welded itself to the coupler.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 08:45 PM

I have had to use my 20 ton press at about 7.5 tons to get those dowel pics removed from the steering shaft. Sometimes they start to mushrom so you need to flip it over and press it out the opposite direction once it starts to move. If you don't have a press heat the shaft up with a torch (not glowing, just hot) and put an ice cube on the dowel before trying to hammer it out.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 09:23 PM

If the coupler is still attached to the steering gear you should be able to drive it through with a small drift punch and a BFH. I understand that space may be at a premium. If necessary you may have to make a really long punch so that you can get a good swing with the hammer. If that dosen't work try drilling it out with a long drill bit. If all else fails and you can get the roll pin out you can pull the steering column. Once it's out you will have room to do whatever is necessary. Usually it's the roll pin that causes the most grief. I had one roll pin that absolutely wouldn't budge even with heat. I wound up having to cut it out. FWIW I don't care to use either roll pins or the solid dowel pin. I would thread the coupler for a short sheet metal screw to replace the dowel pin and use a clevis pin with hairpin type cotter pin to secure the clevis pin in place of the roll pin. Sure makes life easier when it come time to work on things. Good luck.

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 10:04 PM

Guys, my steering shaft is out of the car and on the bench.

Quote:

Never had a problem using a drift pin to pound it out. Your issue may be that you ground down the end and it welded itself to the coupler.

I used a cut off wheel the took off the head of the pin so slow as to not damage the coupling that you could lick the thing and not burn your tongue. I'll get pix up. I hit it HARD with the little punch I have and it's the same diameter as the pin. I'm afraid of pounding too hard with the punch and cracking or distorting the coupling. what's the difference between a drift pin and a punch?
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 10:14 PM

I'd just drill it out. Rebuild kits come with new pins
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 10:14 PM

If it's already out on your work bench either put a small socket on the outside of the coupler and push it out from the inside with a really good channel locks or small "C" clamp, or simply drill it out and thread the coupler body for a machine screw. I said sheet metal screw earlier, but if you use a tap to thread the coupler body a machine screw with blue locktite would be best.
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 10:16 PM

Quote:

or simply drill it out and thread the coupler body for a machine screw. I said sheet metal screw earlier, but if you use a tap to thread the coupler body a machine screw with blue locktite would be best.

I like this idea...

What's the job of this little pin anyway?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 10:25 PM

To keep the coupler from pulling apart.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 10:31 PM

As stated, I've always been able to squeeze that little pin out with jaws on decent channel locks and about a 5/16" nut on outer side so it can be driven through the center of the nut. It can stay there until re-assembly(if you use the coupler body over), then do the reverse with the channel locks and nut deal. Works flawlessly.

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 10:34 PM

Quote:

If it's already out on your work bench either put a small socket on the outside of the coupler and push it out from the inside with a really good channel locks or small "C" clamp, or simply drill it out and thread the coupler body for a machine screw. I said sheet metal screw earlier, but if you use a tap to thread the coupler body a machine screw with blue locktite would be best.

ahah. This makes sense. I'll see if I can find a C clamp tall enough to get over a socket and thin enough to get inside the lip of the coupling. I hadn't thought of tapping the hole till you said that earlier... That's a good idea. That son of a B is in there so tight. I don't want to do this again.

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 10:42 PM

Quote:

As stated, I've always been able to squeeze that little pin out with jaws on decent channel locks and about a 5/16" nut on outer side so it can be driven through the center of the nut. It can stay there until re-assembly(if you use the coupler body over), then do the reverse with the channel locks and nut deal. Works flawlessly.

This!! I use a channel lock only also to push that little pin out enough to get it apart. No need to drill anything.

Re: Removing the Dowel Pin from Steering Coupler - 07/26/13 11:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This!! I use a channel lock only also to push that little pin out enough to get it apart. No need to drill anything.

That one snuck in before I posted. Me likey! Zero dollar solution.
© 2024 Moparts Forums