Moparts

Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand?

Posted By: Blakcharger440

Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand? - 12/09/08 11:35 PM

Do you always use a piston ring spreader when installing piston rings or do you just install your rings by hand?

If you install them by hand what are some good tips to try an avoid breaking them?
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand? - 12/09/08 11:41 PM

Ive always used a ring spreader
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand? - 12/09/08 11:51 PM

the few times I've tried them by hand when I was worried about how far the ring expander actually expands them I ended up scraping nicks on the lands in the process so I went back to the expander & never looked back. & going around by hand & spiraling them in you are twisting them which didn't feel right.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand? - 12/10/08 12:12 AM

Quote:

the few times I've tried them by hand when I was worried about how far the ring expander actually expands them I ended up scraping nicks on the lands in the process so I went back to the expander & never looked back. & going around by hand & spiraling them in you are twisting them which didn't feel right.

Same things I worried about. Hemi pistons are especially tough. Got to get them past the tops. Not sure how I'm going to approach this this time. Maybe I'll sit back and watch the responses
Posted By: dmerc

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 12:46 AM

I'll say this, I have always done mine by hand until this last engine. I got a cheapo ring expander and it helped a little(no cut up fingers). Next time I'm going to buy a good one though. The cheap one just didn't support the ring very well and would just barely open the ring enough. Get a good one.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 01:34 AM

ANOTHER vote for buying and using a spreader. I have heard of people BREAKING rings trying to put them on by hand.
Posted By: Michael

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 04:12 AM

Use a spreader.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 04:30 AM

just spend this afternoon installing pistons..i used a ring speader...

but i have done them by hand also.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 05:24 AM

I have done mine by hand all my life since I built my first eng in 1974. I have never broken a ring. Ron
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 07:21 AM

Quote:

I have done mine by hand all my life since I built my first eng in 1974. I have never broken a ring. Ron

I've built literaly hundreds of engines, never felt like the ring expander was any better then I can do with my bare hands...
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 12:32 PM

Quote:

I have built many and have never used a spreader. I guess I don't know what I'm missing..lol
Posted By: dgc333

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 01:23 PM

For the $8 a ring spreader costs doesn't seem to make sense to risk scratching up a piston or breaking a ring to do it by hand.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 01:38 PM

Have done it both ways but consider it a whole lot easier to use a spreader. easier on the fingers too.
I have known guys that can spread a ring by had just like the spreader does but not many can do this.
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/10/08 03:57 PM

By hand!
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/11/08 01:00 AM

Quote:

Same here. Never crossed my mind to even buy a spreader.
Posted By: rrunner

Re: Always use ring spreader or can you install by hand - 12/11/08 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have built many and have never used a spreader. I guess I don't know what I'm missing..lol

By hand since day one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums