Moparts

Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever?

Posted By: rkh17

Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 04:20 AM

Looking at my first Hurst shifter. It's mated to an A833 on my 1974 Challenger. Looks like the reverse lever is bent to me. Compared it to as many pics on the net I could find, but since this is my first one I'm looking for confirmation.

Also, I took the clip off the reverse rod at the shifter lever and I'm not able to pull the rod out of the lever. Should this come right out?

Larger picture, I'm having issues with the shift getting stuck in second gear. I'm able to reset and align all the levels and it frees up and I can drive the car again for a bit...

Thanks,

-Rob

Attached picture 7786583-photo(14).JPG
Posted By: topside

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 04:31 AM

Yeah, that lever does look bent; can't recall a Hurst shifter lever at the tower end where the bends viewed that way were not all at 90 degrees.
Had an 833 that would jam up similar to yours: I loosened the side cover bolts, pushed the side cover upwards with a prybar and re-tightened the bolts, and that fixed it.

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 01:59 PM

Am I going to be able to bend that back while it's still on the car?

As mentioned in the initial post, I can't seem to get the rod off the level after taking out the clip. Any tricks to this? Seems like it should just pull out. Wondering if the bend is preventing it...

Thanks,

-Rob
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 03:00 PM

I'd pull the shifter, disassemble, clean, grease, and straighten out that lever. Take pictures of the different levers and plates and their orientation as they come out during dis-assembly. They are pretty easy to do. You can also add a washer or two in the stack thru the large pin that everything pivots on to help remove some of the sideways slop in the gate.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 04:53 PM

Looks like the lever was bent to make the shift rod work.
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 04:58 PM

Looks like an A/B shifter not an E. E will have 7180 on reverse arm (the one that is bent). A/B will have 6353.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 05:22 PM

there is a burr of some sort hanging up the rod from coming out of the lever or a part of the clip that can't be made out in that blurry picture.

Either way pull the shifter out of the car and go from there .

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 06:04 PM

Here's a slightly better picture of the debacle...

Attached picture 7787090-hurst.JPG

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 06:05 PM

You should be able to put a long flat blade screw driver in there and just pop it out .
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 07:02 PM

Quote:

Not really, you probably need to go with decaf.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 08:40 PM

That looks like the A&B body shifter
E Body has a dogleg on the outside lever

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/23/13 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not really, you probably need to go with decaf.

lol - I already drink decaf

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/24/13 03:08 AM

Quote:

Looks like an A/B shifter not an E. E will have 7180 on reverse arm (the one that is bent). A/B will have 6353.

Looks like the mystery is starting to unfold. Reverse lever says 6353.. so I have an A/B body shifter on my E body...

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/24/13 05:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like the mystery is starting to unfold. Reverse level says 6353.. so I have an A/B body shifter on my E body...

that is not why it wouldn't come apart.

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 07/24/13 10:13 PM

Yes came apart pretty easily with a flat head driver as you suggested.

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 08/10/13 09:13 PM

updated photo showing progress
Replaced the shifter with a proper e-body shifter
Replaced the Reverse rod and swivel. Was bent like the R shift lever
All new clips and used washers to remove some of the play.

Thanks to Dan @ Brewers for all his help on this.

So now 1-2, 3-4 all work fine, but I can't seem to find Reverse on the new shifter.

I have the proper hurst alignment tool and I've used that to set the linkage.

Any suggestions for finding Reverse? I'm just trying to shift while in the car while it's up on the lift.

Thanks,

-Rob

Attached picture 7809570-newshift3.JPG

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 08/10/13 09:15 PM

Another shot from the side of the new shifter

Attached picture 7809571-newshift4.JPG
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 08/11/13 01:59 AM

Disconnect the linkage and see if you can get reverse by moving the trans lever with a wrench. If you can, put both shifter and trans in reverse and adjust to that.

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 08/11/13 03:28 AM

Quote:

Disconnect the linkage and see if you can get reverse by moving the trans lever with a wrench. If you can, put both shifter and trans in reverse and adjust to that.

By "linkage" I'm assuming you mean the reverse rod. I can move the reverse trans lever with the linkage (reverse rod) attached. The 1-2 and 3-4 rods are in neutral position. I move the R rod manually with my hand and it goes into reverse.

Just can't seem to do the same from the shifter in the car. It feels like there is no path to R in the shifter. I'm sure it's there but something is blocking...

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 08/11/13 04:40 AM

Both both in reverse and make sure the rod is adjusted properly.
You mentioned you had the tool to line up the box, maybe your trans needs a little bit more or less.

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 08/11/13 04:42 AM

Put both in reverse and make sure the rod is adjusted properly.
You mentioned you had the tool to line up the box, maybe your trans needs a little bit more or less.

Re: Hurst Shifter - Bent Lever? - 08/18/13 03:44 AM

Quote:

Put both in reverse and make sure the rod is adjusted properly.

Disconnected the R rod and put in reverse by moving the trans lever, then increased the length with two turns and reconnected the R rod. Also tweaked the 1-2 rod by one turn. Noticed there is a lot of front back play in the 1-2 rod when it's in the neutral position. I suspect this isn't normal.

Seems like the tweaking improved things as I'm able to now get the shift into reverse. A bit tough to get it there... but seems to be working.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Rob
© 2024 Moparts Forums