Moparts

340 Distributor Drive Removal

Posted By: RangerDan440

340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 04:32 AM

Can it be done in the car without tearing the top of the engine apart? Ive tried with a magnet and pliers and no dice.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 04:39 AM

Did you turn it with a big screwdriver backwards (from normal drive direction) to get it to pop itself up? I've pulled them out once they were loose that way.

Worst comes to worst, intake manifold is not all that hard to slip off.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 04:44 AM

It can be done, sometimes their hard, sometimes their not I use a big screwdriver to spin them up out of the cam gear and then you can use a piece of safety wire with a noose to slide over the gear and then tighten that up like a lasso and carefully thread the wire along on eof the teeth and pull Thta is if they won't pull out easy with a pair of duckbill pliers or needle nose pliers One other option is to use a small 90 degree offset screwdriver under the gear to help pry it up, I use a set of Visegrip pliers to hold the screwdriver and pry it up very carefully Usually the shaft has some wear on it in the bushing area and once the shaft is clear of that worn spot it pops right out

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 04:52 AM

spinning it with a screwdriver is not an option; the groove for the distributor shaft is completely worn down and that's why it has to be replaced. I pulled the drive gear from a spare small block and it slid right out with a magnet but the one Im trying to pull is in pretty tight.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 04:55 AM

Quote:

spinning it with a screwdriver is not an option; the groove for the distributor shaft is completely worn down and that's why it has to be replaced. I pulled the drive gear from a spare small block and it slid right out with a magnet but the one Im trying to pull is in pretty tight.

Good luck Try getting a big screwdriver with a really thick tip and try that to back it out It sounds like you have a mess on your hands, sorry.

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 05:09 AM

not the answer I wanted Cab...

I'll mess with it again some more tomorrow. Maybe I can get enough of a bite with a big screwdriver to move it backwards to help free it up. This would have been so much easier on a big block.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 05:24 AM

Lt,,, I thought you were mechanically inclined. Use an injector puller..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 05:31 AM

Take a coat hangar & cut 2 straight lengths then bend a L at one end of each of em & see if you can hook under it & pull it up
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 01:52 PM

A fresh pair of trans pliers works nice too. May not be what they're called technically, but they expand when you squeeze them instead of close when you squeeze them. They have nice gripping teeth built in and work well for grabbing the gear.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 02:32 PM

That and if you get it up a bit take some brake clean and spray the shaft.Ive had a few that had build up on them.The brake clean will dissolve it and let the shaft come out easier.Rocky
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 04:30 PM

And these really come in handy

Attached picture 7776041-long-reach-pliers-1127.jpg
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 04:38 PM

Quote:

Take a coat hangar & cut 2 straight lengths then bend a L at one end of each of em & see if you can hook under it & pull it up

Just did it this way myself a couple of weeks ago. Takes about three hands, but it can be done. Actually had to bend the wire into a bit more complex of a shape, but there is no way to explain it. I did bend it so the wire fit down between the gear teeth, otherwise there is not enough clearance through the hole.

Posted By: hp383

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just did it this way myself a couple of weeks ago. Takes about three hands, but it can be done. Actually had to bend the wire into a bit more complex of a shape, but there is no way to explain it. I did bend it so the wire fit down between the gear teeth, otherwise there is not enough clearance through the hole.

I have used this, and the screw driver method. Sometimes it helps to try and turn the crank backwards a tad to help remove tension/pressure from the cam gear.

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 05:59 PM

I tried moving the crank backwards and a couple of different sets of long nosed pliers, its still being stubborn. I'll try cutting a coat hanger next and if that doesn't work then the intake is coming off. And its an AC car, isn't that lovely? Im tempted to call the little repair shop in town...
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 06:56 PM

I use the coat hanger in a long oval shape to fish under the gear and use the top end as the handle. With a fat screwdriver rotating at the same time should wiggle it out of the bushing and oil pump.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 340 Distributor Drive Removal - 07/14/13 08:08 PM

I fished and wrapped some mechanics wire around one and yanked up on it. Worked for me. A coat hanger was too thick to work it under the gear if it hasn`t budged at all.
© 2024 Moparts Forums