Moparts

58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go?

Posted By: Pyper70

58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/11/13 10:15 AM

In my quest to fix this abomination of slapped parts together on my buddy's car....He he has a 58 Fury with a 440/727 combo. I already have the Bouchillon kickdown kit on the list of parts to order. His accelerator linkage is a solid piece of steel welded to a bolt and it connects to a bell crank. Honestly, he isn't looking for retro, he is looking for driveability so if I can stuff a cable in there it would be better for everyone and get rid of the bellcrank...thing is....I am not up to par with the 1958 model year. I know originally this car had a 318. The Bouchillon kit provides a clean look in the engine bay and I wanna make it perform better by adding a throttle cable all on one bracket....thing is...Bouchillon offers a square style and a round style...and I dunno which one it is. Anyone have knowledge on a 58 model year? http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEcables.asp
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: 58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/11/13 02:48 PM

No cable operated throttle in those years. All rod-linkage.
Don't think they had square drills back then so I would choose the round one...
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: 58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/11/13 05:33 PM

the rod that actuated the throttle pushed rather than pulled.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/11/13 06:34 PM

Mechanical linkage only, throttle and kick down, on all pre 1962 Mopars Cable shifter until 1965 on the automatic cars

Re: 58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/11/13 10:34 PM

Yeah I am going to back off of it and make his bell crank / rod do the work. I thought it had the hammer style like my 69 but it doesn't...just going to install the BPE kickdown kit.

Thanks fellas
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: 58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/11/13 11:53 PM

I had a 1957 Dodge that I put a 440 in. If memory serves, I used a complete 1965 Fury "C" body throttle linkage setup (cable, pedal, bellcrank and wheel).
Posted By: 57Fury440

Re: 58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/12/13 03:56 AM

I put a pedal and cable in my 57 Fury. One from an early seventies B body should work. I have a 440 with a Performer RPM and it works great. All I had to do was drill a few small hole to attach the pedal assembly and make another hole for the cable.

Re: 58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/12/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

I put a pedal and cable in my 57 Fury. One from an early seventies B body should work. I have a 440 with a Performer RPM and it works great. All I had to do was drill a few small hole to attach the pedal assembly and make another hole for the cable.

I am going to mention this to him and see if he is willing...the entire back firewall in the engine bay is an airbrushed mural with Christine...if he is willing to have a hole opened up....we'll cross that bridge on the next parts order....Many thanks for this input
Posted By: 76Beeper

Re: 58 Fury. How did the Accelerator cable go? - 07/12/13 06:04 PM

My buddy used a Lokar cable in his 1958 Savoy when the twin carbed 440 went in.
The pivot for the gas pedal is actually below the floorboard. I do know he had to make a bracket to hold the cable away from the firewall as it came up to the carbs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums