Moparts

TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ??

Posted By: dOc …

TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 12:00 AM

..... what is the most weight or largest item you have ever towed ? ... and what motor do-you or did-you have ?
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 12:04 AM

Mopars with the 3.8. We use a tow dolly to tow our vehicle purchases home from St Louis. 125 miles one way. They do a good job and get 20 MPG to boot.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 12:05 AM

I have a 1995 Town & Country 3.8L and I tow a 1000 pound teardrop trailer with it. I think it's rated for 3500 pounds.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 12:14 AM

Saw this at the track. They were towing a Pontiac that looked like a Nova to me. Full street type car, not a gutted racecar. No way that was legal. Gotta' figure the car was maybe 3300 to 3500 and the trailer 1200-1500 pounds.

Posted By: BulletBob

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 12:16 AM

I saw a guy hauling a Neon dirt track car behind a T&C on a cut down trailer
Posted By: racealittle

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 01:17 AM

Quote:

Saw this at the track. They were towing a Pontiac that looked like a Nova to me. Full street type car, not a gutted racecar. No way that was legal. Gotta' figure the car was maybe 3300 to 3500 and the trailer 1200-1500 pounds.

I had about 6000 lbs behind my '96 long wheel base factory tow package minivan. It worked well around town in a pinch; but would think twice about it out on the highway under State scrutiny.
Posted By: MPerry

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 01:26 AM

Quote:

..... what is the most weight or largest item you have ever towed ? ... and what motor do-you or did-you have ?

The Caravan should be towed behind the motorhome not the other way around.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 02:17 AM

With 3.8L, tow about 3500 lbs, 1000 mi/yr, for the last 11 years. GVW probably 8700 lbs occasionally. Travel both interstate and hilly country roads. Although I've never had a problem, it is at the edge, or beyond the equipment's capabilities IMO. I use a lot of caution. I believe that the brakes and transmission are weaker links than the engine. When there are more than three of us, we'll usually take a second vehicle just to lighten the load.

I had a 1999 3.3L (I think, not a 3.8 for sure) with a towing package that came with a bunch of heavy duty stuff and was rated for towing 3500 lbs. That engine struggled a lot more than the 3.8L.

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 06:00 AM

THX all ....xcept that kOoKy mBerri ... he deserves the recently departed title of #1 whack job ....along with that REAL #2 guy oleHAM ...

GOOD to hear all that GOOD NEWS about success with CV towing .... now I don't have a tach on mine(or a service manual) .... so if you put the trans into D3 .... it takes it out of OD and converter lockup ? .... and this would be best to do on any type of terrain other than the flat ....or would it be major hills? ... I have to put a hitch on my 03 anyways because I have to ready it to pull a 6x10 single-axle enclosed .... and if I pick it up eventually a bigger jet ski .... BUTTTTT I am thinking about using it ALSO to pull that ProStreet Laser back to MI on a car dolly. That is only a 2400 lb car with the 440 in it .....
Posted By: A12

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/11/13 05:41 PM

Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/12/13 02:59 AM

My '93 came with this big ol' REESE hitch on it.......

Seemed like MAJOR overkill for only having 90HP underhood.

I took it off because I'll never use it and I got tired of dragging it on steep driveways.

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/12/13 03:53 AM

I don't have a hitch on my 03 yet ... been looking around on CL etc ... JUST curious ...I called Pep Boys after seeing them listed as a supplier .... Just like what is on Sat73's ... a Reese ... #37042 .... 500/5000 ... BIG TIME bolted-on THOUGH the frame .... 129$ ...plus 69$ install ..... B U T .... there is a 69$ rebate through PB's ! ...I am going that route
Posted By: BSB67

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/12/13 04:03 AM

You can get them through the dealer along with the wiring harness. It cost more, but they look a lot better.
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: TOWING things ...with a Caravan .... ?? - 07/12/13 02:14 PM

Speaking of towing,.
I was thinking of putting a trailer hitch on the 65 coronet and us a tow Dolley to tow the Dart to the track.
Im sure the Hemi wouldn't have a problem with it.

Or I could trade it for a caravan.
© 2024 Moparts Forums