Moparts

what to do with 69 dart gts

Posted By: mopfried

what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 02:45 PM

my 69 GTS is getting paint. Its registered on the GTS registry. I do not have the original 340 and 727. I am trying to decide what engine/transmission combo to go with.
I have
a 400 and a 440 crank turned down to 400 mains
a complete cast crank 440
a LA style 360 with mag heads that are pocket ported
a big and small block 727 and a 4 speed.

The original plan was the 360. Its 30 over and decked ready to go together... I love my 74 Scamp 440... what's your thoughts?

I want a hot street car. It may never see the track.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 02:53 PM

With any semblance of traction 440 A bodies just straight out haul! Its kind of a pain because fenderwell headers hinder your steering ability/tire selection, and underchassis are tight in those cars, but a typical 509 cam iron head 440 with a single plane intake and 4.10s is pretty streetable and really romps in an A body. So I vote 440 or 451

The low deck will fit nicer/easier, so you've got the ability to have the best of both worlds with the 451, so I say do that from the perspective of ignoring cost/what you already have in the 360. I prefer 4 speed cars 100 %, but as stated above 440 A bodies are lethal, and particularly impressive when you have a 727 to just pour it on. Id say that has to be your preference.
Posted By: deaks

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 04:28 PM

I also have a 69 GTS 340, now 440 but if i was to do it again in a street car, i would keep the small block. The 440 is very torquey but for the street the sb will run rings around the big motor handling wise, also easier to work on. TTI's fit and are underchassis.
Mick
Posted By: justinp61

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 05:41 PM

Put a 4" crank in your 360 and have the power of a 440 in a small package, plus it will handle a ton better. Not to mention it a much neater package.
Posted By: rth

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 05:52 PM

I vote for the 440,auto. Even if you use fenderwell headers it's still worth it.

Attached picture 7770856-002(2).jpg
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 06:02 PM

I currently own a RR with a 451 stroker and 4 speed. It has more than enough torque that makes the car really fun to drive. I run the stock magnum manifolds with 2.5" exhaust through Flowmasters. Motor has more than enough HP and torque for the steet. I wouldn't let headers hold up your decision. If it's not going to see the track then I'd go with the stock magnum manifolds or maybe the Schumacker headers.

Of course you'll need to strengthen the chassis, frame connectors or torque boxes, beef up the front suspension with a bigger than stock sway bar etc.

If it's an original GTS my preferance would be to stay as close to stock as possible
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 06:09 PM

Quote:

Put a 4" crank in your 360 and have the headflow of a 360 in a larger package

Fixed it for ya
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 06:14 PM

My vote would be to find a correct dated 340 .

Greg
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 07:23 PM

Smallblock with a 4 inch crank. Especially since it's originally a 340 car.
The smallblock A-bodies were one of Mopar's best driving combos, why wreck it with another 100lbs of cast iron over the front tires? These days getting rid of the poor flowing Small block heads is super easy as well. I just don't see any reason to go big block unless you want to go faster than 10's.

Sheldon

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 07:25 PM

I have looked around for a correct dated 340, it was a late 68 build so it would have to be a 68 340. Not an easy find. It is an original GTS with a fender tag. I do have ITT 1-7/8 BB under chassis headers.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 07:35 PM

I've seen several 68 blocks here lately
Posted By: vette1986

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 07:49 PM

I vote for a 451 stroker put a set of aluminum 452 heads on it to lighten the load along with a set of headers and aluminum intake. Paint it all orange put a 383 pie tin on top and suprise a few people. I bet you would shave off 60-70 lbs and have a "close" to stock look. that is until you mash the pedal!!
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 08:00 PM

I have a 340 short block.. date coded 9-9-68, 9 B 274167, 2780930-340-7.

Stock bore, never rebuilt.. needs rebuilding as its sat indoors for many years but very dirty.

IF YOU'RE SERIOUSLY INTERESTED (maybe it belongs to your car?)... Contact me ASAP as I may be selling it very soon.

--------------------
Mopar Mitch
"Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"
Posted By: dogdays

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/09/13 08:11 PM

Use a smallblock, 4" crank, your Mag =heads unless you can spring for Edelbrocks.
Check out the dyno sheets, a 400 inch smallblock that's well thought out will make 500 lb-ft of torque, be much easier to fit the headers to and will be more fun to drive. It's a pretty cool car, the GTS was more of a handling car so keep it that way. ESPECIALLY if you already have a bigblock A-body.

R.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 03:10 AM

Quote:

Smallblock with a 4 inch crank. Especially since it's originally a 340 car.
The smallblock A-bodies were one of Mopar's best driving combos, why wreck it with another 100lbs of cast iron over the front tires? These days getting rid of the poor flowing Small block heads is super easy as well. I just don't see any reason to go big block unless you want to go faster than 10's.

Sheldon

What he said. A 416 small block with a mild hydraulic cam, WELL DONE J heads, LD340 intake (painted engine color), a fresh AVS from a 440, open OEM 340 air cleaner, 1 5/8 headers and a well executed exhaust. With a stock converter and 3.23's you'd have a sleeper 12 second Dart.

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 04:16 AM

I do have some 340 2.02 valve heads that have had some work done on them. They are open chamber and the 360 has been decked for the pistons I have to be about .005 in the hole. I have a comp 280 cam, several small block intakes and carbs. A new set of coated SB headers that are 1-5/8 I believe. I guess the best small block senario would be 4" crank and aluminum heads? Im a mopar nut.

So if I were to use the 360 as is, Speed pro flattops, stock stoke and mangnum ported heads, 280 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, stip dominator intake or M-1... how would that compair real world to a stroker with worked heads?
I have lots of options...

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 04:16 AM

I do have some 340 2.02 valve heads that have had some work done on them. They are open chamber and the 360 has been decked for the pistons I have to be about .005 in the hole. I have a comp 280 cam, several small block intakes and carbs. A new set of coated SB headers that are 1-5/8 I believe. I guess the best small block senario would be 4" crank and aluminum heads? Im a mopar nut.

So if I were to use the 360 as is, Speed pro flattops, stock stoke and mangnum ported heads, 280 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, stip dominator intake or M-1... how would that compair real world to a stroker with worked heads?
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 04:25 AM

I vote stroker small block. My FAST legal 340/430 dynoed at 512 hp and 540 tq. It will spank a LOT of big blocks and it weighs a pile less.

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 06:26 AM

Quote:

A well built yet streetable 3.58 stroke 360 will yield 450 HP and 450 ft.lbs. Same well built 4.00 stroke street friendly small block will produce 480-500 HP and at least 500 ft.lbs.

Having said that, depending on your budget (using what you already have) a street friendly 360 can still produce ets deep in the 12's in a "stock" chassis with a mild gear and the right converter/cam combo.
Posted By: can.al

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 01:11 PM

lot's of good info but those stroker builds can get costly
and complicated.
For all round stopping,handling and street performance a
warm 360 is about as good as it gets in an A body.
..very easy to 400 hp!
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 02:05 PM

You already have a big block A-Body, go with the 360, make it hot and make it look stock...

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

You already have a big block A-Body, go with the 360, make it hot and make it look stock...

I may be parting with the scamp... to many mopars. I have a 70 cuda I have had since high school that's on the back burner.... another story. If I go with the 360 I have and a stock stroke would the 280 cam be a good choice with the other parts I have?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 04:20 PM

Yep: Your mix of parts looks pretty good actually. You'll have to make sure the heads are set up for the cam lift you end up with of course.

Sheldon

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 04:31 PM

Actually yea, the mix of parts looks good. I would though recommend the Ededbrock Air Gap as will make more torque than a single plane.

Keep us posted. Sounds like a fun project. It's funny, I'm doing a 69 Dart right now as well...and in a couple of months I'll have to make the same decision: 360 or 408??
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I may be parting with the scamp... to many mopars. I have a 70 cuda I have had since high school that's on the back burner.... another story. If I go with the 360 I have and a stock stroke would the 280 cam be a good choice with the other parts I have?

I think you should keep the Scamp and sell the GTS back to me! That car is way too clean to cut up for a big block Imo. Even Mr. Rhino himself told me column shift GTS 's aren't real common. I can't wait to see it done. I miss the old ride.

Attached picture 7771826-facebook_-1325410842.jpg

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Actually yea, the mix of parts looks good. I would though recommend the Ededbrock Air Gap as will make more torque than a single plane.

Keep us posted. Sounds like a fun project. It's funny, I'm doing a 69 Dart right now as well...and in a couple of months I'll have to make the same decision: 360 or 408??

One more thing: if you choose a "ported" Magnum head, look no further than the EQ replacements. With a 2.02 intake and a very mild bowl blend, they will outflow ANYTHING else out there, short of a "race" head. Yes, even outflow Edelbrock's. Great pricing on them everywhere as well.
Posted By: vdriver

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/10/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

I'm in the same boat; starting on my '71 Dart soon and have several small and big blocks to choose from. Decisions, decisions...

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/12/13 11:53 AM

I think you should keep the Scamp and sell the GTS back to me! That car is way too clean to cut up for a big block Imo. Even Mr. Rhino himself told me column shift GTS 's aren't real common. I can't wait to see it done. I miss the old ride.

Hey! I didn't have to cut the scamp a bit to make it a big block.. Make a DC K frame from a spool mount SB K frame and bolt it all in!

I have a new AC box to put into the dart... Im anxious to get back on it too..

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/12/13 02:23 PM

Quote:

Hey! I didn't have to cut the scamp a bit to make it a big block.. Make a DC K frame from a spool mount SB K frame and bolt it all in!

I have a new AC box to put into the dart... Im anxious to get back on it too..

At least you don't have to cut it. I would still leave it a small block. Good package for a street car. Did you have it painted the original green?

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/12/13 03:06 PM

I think I will stay with a small block, just haven't decided between the 4 speed or the auto. Im kinda up in the air on the color too. I like black, my wife wants like the B5 blue... Its still in body work. I have a piece to fix the trunk spring mount, door striker pin patches and there is some metal work being done on the quarters. Its completely gutted. I found fiberglass patches in the trunk floor that are being welded up too.
not bad for a 44 year old...

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/12/13 03:56 PM

I was never gonna go back to green. It was gonna be black. My new GTS was b5. Awesome color.
If you want some sway to influence your transmission choice, I know a guy with a 4-speed GTS that nneeds almost all the 4-speed stuff I collected for the car.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/12/13 05:19 PM

I just saw a B5 blue Dart. It looked like a little bit of metalflake thrown in. BEAUTIFUL!

R.

Re: what to do with 69 dart gts - 07/12/13 07:32 PM

There is quite a bit of metallic in b-5. I got to watch it mixed once.
© 2024 Moparts Forums