Moparts

Carter Thermoquad, epoxy for center section question

Posted By: bigblock340power

Carter Thermoquad, epoxy for center section question - 07/07/13 04:30 PM

What's the best stuff to use for epoxying the plastic center section of a Carter Thermoquad? Got to be strong, permanent, and gas (or any other junk they put in gas now a days) resistant.
Thanks
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Carter Thermoquad, epoxy for center section question - 07/07/13 11:25 PM

I can tell you what doesn't work. I tried a fuel tank leak repair epoxy. Search back for details. Came as a roll that you cut a kneaded. Anyway, it lasted about a year.
I ended up replacing the carb.
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Carter Thermoquad, epoxy for center section question - 07/08/13 12:48 AM

Quote:

I can tell you what doesn't work. I tried a fuel tank leak repair epoxy. Search back for details. Came as a roll that you cut a kneaded. Anyway, it lasted about a year.
I ended up replacing the carb.

Ok, now I know what not to use. How about what I can use?
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Carter Thermoquad, epoxy for center section question - 07/08/13 01:12 AM

pretty sure we just used JB Weld in the carb restoration shop I worked in. Clean the parts well, hit em lightly with sandpaper to get nice flat surfaces and it should see very little contact with gas. slather a good amount around the outside of the seam afterward to help. if you can find one of the foam inserts used to put upward pressure on the similar part on Q-Jets you can cut those in half and put them underneath to help also.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Carter Thermoquad, epoxy for center section question - 07/08/13 10:57 AM

Use 'Marine-tex' Rapid-Set gray. Holds up to alcohol blended gas better than JB. Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums