Moparts

leaf springs

Posted By: sooner440

leaf springs - 12/08/08 02:45 AM

My '69 Satellite is in serious need of new rear leaf spings. I need something for street and strip but I've heard and read about quality issues with springs from Mopar Performance. I considered Caltrac monoleafs but decided against them due to the higher cost as I have other areas of the car that desperately need money too. Anyone have any suggestions? Are the complaints abouts MP srings valid?

Attached picture 4864527-11-28-08_1419.jpg
Posted By: Silverbullet2

Re: leaf springs - 12/08/08 03:00 AM

I hear the ESPOs are the ones to get
Posted By: Neil

Re: leaf springs - 12/08/08 03:02 AM

I bought my springs from Eaton. They kinda screwed me on u-bolts, but I'm happy with the springs anyways.

Re: leaf springs - 12/08/08 04:09 AM

What are ESPOs?
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: leaf springs - 12/08/08 04:15 AM

Quote:

My '69 Satelite is in serious need of new rear leaf spings. I need something for street and strip but I've heard and read about quality issues with springs from Mopar Performance. I considered Caltrac monoleafs but decided against them due to the higher cost as I have other areas of the car that desperately need money too. Anyone have any suggestions? Are the complaints abouts MP srings valid?

What's your intent for the car? I would leave on the factory springs and buy a set of caltracs if you are racing the car. I'm leaving the stock springs on my 68RR. The flatter they are the better they work.
Posted By: 383man

Re: leaf springs - 12/08/08 04:18 AM

I just put the Mancini SS springs on my 63 and they seem to work fine as I am happy with them. For $219. you get springs , rear hangers , U-bolts and bushings. Car sits just a tad higher in the rear and hooked good at the track the only time I have got it back to the track. It ran 11.50's with my 60's in the low 1.60's which is normal for my car. But it was not a great day and it was very windy so I feel it will do better on a good day. My 63 is a street/stip car thats 99% street. Ron

Posted By: dave571

Re: leaf springs - 12/08/08 04:23 AM

Quote:

My '69 Satelite is in serious need of new rear leaf spings. .... I considered Caltrac monoleafs but decided against them due to the higher cost ....

When I bought my monoleafs(leafs only, not with the bar kit) they were cheaper than mp springs

It was a few years back. Has there been some price changes? Where did you price the Caltrac leafs from?
You can run them without the bar kit, and get the bar kit later
Posted By: BrianT

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 12:10 AM

Quote:

What are ESPOs?

Springs and things

They have pretty good prices and come highly recommended. I used them last year and they were one stop shopping. I got the +1 springs, but they have settled quite a bit in a year. I believe they are the same springs that JCWhitney sells. Not sure who makes them.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 12:26 AM

Whats wrong with the MoPar ones?

Im planning to buy a set of the XHD leafs in the next couple weeks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 01:38 AM

I put Mopar heavy duties on my 72 Cuda 8 years ago, but they sagged bad. I talked to the CalTrac guy. He does not recommend the Caltrac setup for the street. My research says ESPO springs are the way to go.

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 01:45 AM

I was just on ESPOs website and cant find any leaf springs for my Satellite, I dont even see leafs listed in the list of what they sell? What gives?

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 03:27 AM

[quote
What's your intent for the car? I would leave on the factory springs...

Like I said, it will see street and stip duty. The original factory leafs don't seem to be sagging too bad but they can't take any weight at all without nearly dragging the rear bumper and wallowing all around. We have four kids and I can't take the family anywhere in the car because of it. It did bring home the Christmas tree tonight, though.

I called Mancini today and the XHD springs are $220 for just the spings only.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 03:34 AM

Quote:

[quote
What's your intent for the car? I would leave on the factory springs...

Like I said, it will see street and stip duty. The original factory leafs don't seem to be sagging too bad but they can't take any weight at all without nearly dragging the rear bumper and wallowing all around. We have four kids and I can't take the family anywhere in the car because of it. It did bring home the Christmas tree tonight, though.

Go on a diet!

I think the main spring has lost it's arch. Some truck shops will rearch them for around $150. If not order the new ones from Mancini they are Espo springs.

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 03:35 AM

Quote:

When I bought my monoleafs(leafs only, not with the bar kit) they were cheaper than mp springs

It was a few years back. Has there been some price changes? Where did you price the Caltrac leafs from?

calvertracing.com shows the monoleafs to be $298.00 plus shipping.
Posted By: Rob440Magnum

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 03:38 AM

MP springs are junk. I bought a new set for my 70 Challenger R/T and after less than a year the rear is sagging badly. This spring I will be ordering a new set from spring & things.

I heard MP bids out for the cheapest price thus getting the cheapest quality metal that just does not last.

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 03:40 AM

Quote:

If not order the new ones from Mancini they are Espo springs.

I thought they were Mopar Performance springs. I'll have to call them again tomorrow.

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 03:43 AM

Quote:

I was just on ESPOs website and cant find any leaf springs for my Satellite, I dont even see leafs listed in the list of what they sell? What gives?

I don't see them either. I'll have to call them tomorrow too.

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 03:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If not order the new ones from Mancini they are Espo springs.

I thought they were Mopar Performance springs. I'll have to call them again tomorrow.

I thought so too, I was going to order them from Mancini so I'd like to know what the deal is as well.
Posted By: 383man

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 04:15 AM

From what I understand Mancini sells a few different springs. They sell the MP SS springs and then they sell the Mancini brand SS springs which are the ones I got. They are the ones that were $219. with the hangers and U-bolts. I really dont know who makes them but Wes told me they work good. Then they sell the XHD leaf springs which I think are the ESPO springs. ESPO might make the Mancini brand SS springs that I bought but I am not sure. Ron
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 04:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What are ESPOs?

Springs and things

They have pretty good prices and come highly recommended. I used them last year and they were one stop shopping. I got the +1 springs, but they have settled quite a bit in a year. I believe they are the same springs that JCWhitney sells. Not sure who makes them.

JR Springs from Flint, Mi. makes the jc whitney springs....that what i got went i ordered them from JC ....got 2 springs..and shackels and bushing with free shipping for 130 bucks.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: leaf springs - 12/09/08 06:42 PM

you need to call .

Quote:

Posted By: mprhound

Re: leaf springs - 12/10/08 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What are ESPOs?

Springs and things

JR Springs from Flint, Mi. makes the jc whitney springs....that what i got went i ordered them from JC ....got 2 springs..and shackels and bushing with free shipping for 130 bucks.

I was skepticle of anything from JC Whitney but orederd the springs for my challenger almost 2 years ago and it was one of the best purchases ever! haven't sagged one bit, have been pleased with them!

Re: leaf springs - 12/10/08 06:39 AM

Quote:

From what I understand Mancini sells a few different springs. They sell the MP SS springs and then they sell the Mancini brand SS springs which are the ones I got. Then they sell the XHD leaf springs which I think are the ESPO springs. ESPO might make the Mancini brand SS springs that I bought but I am not sure. Ron

I called Mancini today and they said their springs are MP except for their "Pro Stock" springs which are their own brand. I did not ask who makes them.

Re: leaf springs - 12/10/08 06:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see them either. I'll have to call them tomorrow too.

Called today and they said they have leaf springs, they're just not listed on their website. They are $250.00 plus shipping for stock GTX style replacements.
© 2024 Moparts Forums