Moparts

still over heating

Posted By: lifted85

still over heating - 07/04/13 05:25 AM

ok I swapped in a new t stat, changed the water pump to a known good 1, flushed the radiator with some flush stuff I had. put it back together an still over heating 250 deg!! maybe radiator cap?? still could be the radiator not throwing that idea out... motor is a 77 318
Posted By: Remow2112

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 07:07 AM

1. Double check the radiator and make sure there are no blockages.
2. Make sure you have the correct water pump. There is a difference between AC and non AC water pumps.
3. Make sure you have the right size radiator.
4. Check the fan clutch. Wait till it is cold and spin the fan by hand. Then run the car to operating temp (in your case, 210ish) and shut the car off and spin the fan by hand again. It should feel much stiffer. If not replace the fan clutch.

HTH,
Dan...

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 07:39 AM

ok, ya well it had a flex fan on it removed that, put a clutch fan on it, I fired it up in the yard an probably after about 5-10min's idling she was 250 deg ish, IIRC the pump is a non ac pump, radiator is a factory mopar radiator it's a 2-3 core, I ran some of that radiator flush stuff in it thinking maybe hey that might fix it, then I ran the hose through the radiator for a few hour's an throught the motor thinking maybe something is blocked but still the same I will try your idea's an update thanks
Posted By: justinp61

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 02:14 PM

Does it have a shroud?
Posted By: ahy

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 02:38 PM

Sometimes if it has an air bubble it will heat fast. Are you sure the air is out? Test without T stat can help burp the air. Agree check of water pump and drive belt is in order.

Heating up that fast at idle wouldn't normally be a radiator problem unless the radiator was completely blocked.
Posted By: moparcanuk

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 02:42 PM

Are you using an aftermarket heat gauge? Mine also registers between 230-250 but when I check block temp with a laser gauge, it's 180. I'd do that before making any more changes.

http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser-Sight/dp/B002YE3FS4
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 02:48 PM

Quote:

Does it have a shroud?

THAT....
Posted By: therocks

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 03:05 PM

Let it warm up.Then shut off and feel the rad at top and bottom.It should be pretty close to the same temp.Try pulling the plugs that screw into the block.Use a 6 point 9/16s to remove them.Most wont even drain because of crud in the block.You have to use a screwdriver to open them.Flush it with the plugs out.SBs I fill the block thru the stat opening and then install the stat.Rocky
Posted By: BRONZEBEE

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 04:01 PM

Checking with a infrared temp gun is good advise!!Is it blowing coolant out the overflow?If not probably not overheating.
I went through this for two years on and off factory gauge off 30 degrees,cheapo 3 pod aftermarket gauge off 25 degrees with two gauges telling me i'm overheating i thought i was.
Gauges read 230 and 240 and infrared reads 185 at the thermostat housing.
Installed autometer mechanical gauge it reads 195 max in traffic and just changed the gauge because i changed ever thing else twice!!
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 04:53 PM

faulty gauge, wrong sending unit, lower radiator hose collapsing? As stated already...use a temp gun to check. Leave the rad cap off and run it and see if it boils the water out.

Attached picture 7765224-pomona.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 05:13 PM

Can you pull up the original thread on this for more background info. As said I would confirm the actual temp with a known good gauge or infrared gun what ever it takes. Assuming the initial ain't severely retarded which I doubt it is & with a new stat/pump I'm thinking there's plenty of water flow UNLESS the rad is severely plugged & I doubt the lower hose is sucking shut at idle. sounds more like an airflow problem but you've addressed the fan but might put a shop fan in front just for a check to see if it is an airflow issue & can you feel the air being pulled thru on the front side of the rad?. I would take off the water pump fan belt & the stat housing & the stat & with the coolant at the brim, start the eng from cold & gun it repeatedly for a minute or two max & see if there's bubbles or if the coolant starts to rise which it should not rise in that length of time starting from cold since the water pump is totally diasabled there should be a dead calm with no turbulence unless there's a combustion leak. Keep us posted. #1 confirm the actual temp. EDIT hitting 250 in 5 or 10 minutes tells me there's a severe issue going on

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 10:35 PM

yep fan shroud, installed a new 195 tstat, removed the flex fan it had an installed a clutch fan. today I fired it up, let it run for10-15 min's, felt the radiator an the hoses & they were cold, except the 2 hoses running to the water pump from the intake they were hot.. an yes I did bypass the heater core thinking maybe it was plugged but no change.water was boiling out kind ofby the intake not sure if there was water that was sitting up there or what. but what's temp she should be at 200-210??
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 10:50 PM

do you have an IR temp gun? they're cheap, and can save a lot of guessing. you can point and shoot, getting exact temps from the hoses, heads, intake and even the radiator. several guys have mentioned it, and it's a great investment. i even use mine to look at exhaust temps coming right out of the ports, looking for misfires (colder) or a lean cylinder (hotter). i'd trust a digital IR reading before i'd trust an electric gauge and sending unit.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 11:04 PM

Eventhough you replaced the WP earlier, I would still of a broken waterpump impeller perhaps.
Unless there's some serious blockage.

Have you checked for the mentioned lower rad.hose collapse?
Is the coilspring still in there?

Re: still over heating - 07/04/13 11:04 PM

How hot did you let it get this last time when you said the radiator was cold?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: still over heating - 07/05/13 12:10 AM

195 stat is kinda high.. try a 180. Also make sure it's not upside down, seen that. the upper hose shouldn't be cool at all once the stat is open.

Re: still over heating - 07/05/13 07:20 AM

Quote:

like 220-250, hose's & radiator should have been hot at that temp I would think? like I said water was boiling by by the intake, will have to look into it more tomorrow.. there is no water in my oil or oil in my water.. I have ran 195s in all my mopar's an yes I made sure it was not up side down the coil spring is still in the hose..
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: still over heating - 07/05/13 12:12 PM

It's often hard to diagnose symptoms via the internet, but here's 2 questions/suggestions, won't cost you anything but time...

are you using a cast iron water pump?..if so turn the thermostat upside down in the waterneck, flow is reverse...

another suggestion, start the vehicle, put the radiator cap on, but turn it back to the point that it's just engaging the tangs where you have to push it down to release, but still engaged, but loose, run the engine, if it doesn't overheat,...I'd start looking at head gaskets...
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: still over heating - 07/05/13 01:35 PM

So... Gauge read 250 but rubber hoses were cold?

At 250 it should be painful to touch the hoses.

Pull the radiator out of the car. Use a garden hose at full blast, and see if the radiator can flow enough to not back up. If the radiator can flow the 5 gallons per minute that a garden hose can put out, then you have enough flow to heat up the upper radiator hose.

So if your upper hose is not hot when the gauge reads 250, and the radiator is not plugged, then you either have a faulty gauge issue or a thermostat that's not opening.

You can test water pump flow by disconnecting the upper hose at the radiator and removing the thermostat. Water should flow out of the upper hose.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: still over heating - 07/05/13 07:49 PM

Quote:

Are you using an aftermarket heat gauge? Mine also registers between 230-250 but when I check block temp with a laser gauge, it's 180. I'd do that before making any more changes.

http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser-Sight/dp/B002YE3FS4

These need to be pointed at a painted surface, if you point it at bare metal, the emissivity of the bare metal will cause errors. Tim

Re: still over heating - 07/05/13 10:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

like 220-250, hose's & radiator should have been hot at that temp I would think? like I said water was boiling by by the intake, will have to look into it more tomorrow.. there is no water in my oil or oil in my water.. I have ran 195s in all my mopar's an yes I made sure it was not up side down the coil spring is still in the hose..

Either the pump is not working or the radiator is plugged, I know you said you flushed it but there is a blockage somewhere.

Have you tried it without a thermostat? I always drill two or three 1/8" holes in my thermostats to help let the air out on the initial start up after changing one out or having to drain the system for any reason.
Posted By: 68 Sat

Re: still over heating - 07/05/13 11:15 PM

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the distributor. I changed from a MP unit to a Mallory which allowed me to adjust the advance better. Problem solved. You might want to think outside the box on this one. I spent a bundle on shroud aluminum radiator fan with clutch and in end the distributor solved the problem.

Re: still over heating - 07/06/13 05:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Either the pump is not working or the radiator is plugged, I know you said you flushed it but there is a blockage somewhere.

Have you tried it without a thermostat? I always drill two or three 1/8" holes in my thermostats to help let the air out on the initial start up after changing one out or having to drain the system for any reason.

yep tried it with out 1.. tonight I did a few thing's, fired her up an let idle for a good 15-30 min's an sat at a 210-212, she was not boiling water out or any thing, It did sound like water boiling in the radiator hoses but I think that was just the water going into the intake when I shut te truck off.. 210-212 idling still high?? it's probably 67-71 deg's this evening
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: still over heating - 07/06/13 09:11 AM

Quote:

do you have an IR temp gun? they're cheap, and can save a lot of guessing. you can point and shoot, getting exact temps from the hoses, heads, intake and even the radiator. several guys have mentioned it, and it's a great investment. i even use mine to look at exhaust temps coming right out of the ports, looking for misfires (colder) or a lean cylinder (hotter). i'd trust a digital IR reading before i'd trust an electric gauge and sending unit.

So of the IR temps shows 200 on the water pump housing right at the sending unit are you saying the water temp should be 200 also?
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: still over heating - 07/06/13 11:55 PM

not necessarily. you have to measure the temp of the water, on a hose or radiator. the waterpump housing can soak heat from the engine itself, causing the metal to become warmer than the water flowing through it, imo. hit the hose at the waterpump, for a better reading. metal will hold temps longer than water. the waterpump could be warmer, or cooler than the water flowing through it, depending on the circumstances. i'd measure water temp at the closest place i could "see" the water. (open the rad cap, and temp the water right there, for the actual temp) a hose will give a more accurate reading of the water temp, than the waterpump will, again this is imo.
© 2024 Moparts Forums