Moparts

DEF Diesel additive?

Posted By: 69DartGT

DEF Diesel additive? - 07/04/13 12:17 AM

I know its not a fuel additive and is used to keep the cat convertor clean but is it used only in large 18 wheeler type trucks or are there some late model cars and trucks that have a DEF tank?
Posted By: moparmaniac07

Re: DEF Diesel additive? - 07/04/13 12:22 AM

All new diesel pickups have it and a few cars do as well. I don't know which cars, but a few diesel cars do require DEF.
Posted By: ahy

Re: DEF Diesel additive? - 07/04/13 12:37 AM

Mercedes diesels use it. Maybe VW also. It is basically a solution of urea (fertilizer) and water.
Posted By: finn

Re: DEF Diesel additive? - 07/04/13 01:06 AM

It's actually an 11% ammonia and distilled water mix, if I recall.

Problem is commercial (neat) ammonia sometimes isn't pure enough to use without building crystal deposits on the injector and substrate.

We used to mix our own in the lab. Cost $0.11/gallon to make.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: DEF Diesel additive? - 07/04/13 02:55 AM

Quote:

It's actually an 11% ammonia and distilled water mix, if I recall.

Problem is commercial (neat) ammonia sometimes isn't pure enough to use without building crystal deposits on the injector and substrate.

We used to mix our own in the lab. Cost $0.11/gallon to make.

Kinda sorta. Diesel Exhaust Fluid is really 1/3 urea (a nitrogen compound that TURNS to ammonia when heated) and 2/3 distilled/deionized water. When injected into the exhaust stream (think "after treatment") into a catalytic converter-type burner it very effectively consumes harmful oxides of nitrogen from the exhaust.

The beauty of this system, while cumbersome, is that it's an AFTERTREATMENT approach. Why do I stress this? Simple--the engine doesn't know it's there. Period.
What does that mean? Simple--the engine can be tuned for max mpg and power without regard to oxides of nitrogen.
That's a beautiful thing.
Posted By: 69DartGT

Re: DEF Diesel additive? - 07/04/13 02:48 PM

Thanks, my son in law just dropped two 5 gal cans off while delivering a new Kenworth, trying to see who I can give this stuff to.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: DEF Diesel additive? - 07/04/13 05:03 PM

$2.69/gallon more you have to add to your diesel truck, I will never buy a new truck due to that and the less fuel mileage you get with the new ones. If I can keep my Cummins trucks running that is...
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: DEF Diesel additive? - 07/04/13 09:14 PM

The DD15 Detroits we run at work in the Freightliner Cascadias get 7-10mpg depending on how heavy you are hauling.
© 2024 Moparts Forums