Moparts

Rear shock removal

Posted By: 71pettyblue

Rear shock removal - 07/03/13 08:08 PM

Hi All,
Have any of you had to go to this extreme to remove a rear shock. The car the a '66 Polara and the right side bolt froze to the inner sleeve on the upper eye. I used a sawzall to cut the bolt.

Attached picture 7764207-100_4550rs.jpg
Posted By: plumcuda

Re: Rear shock removal - 07/03/13 08:16 PM

Yes,lots of times...very frustrating!

Re: Rear shock removal - 07/03/13 10:38 PM

I can understand that happening in the midwest or the south, but the Polara has been a Colorado car since 1968.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the bolts were aftermarket replacements and were not galvanized.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Rear shock removal - 07/04/13 12:50 PM

Use anti sieze.Then they wont stick.Ive had to cut bolts out of newer cars that came into the shop.When I replace almost anything it gets anti sieze.Makes it easy if I have to replace it later.Rocky
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Rear shock removal - 07/04/13 01:55 PM

When I took my Satellite "apart" I had to use that and similar methods on lots of suspension bolts. Mine came from the Tampa/St.Pete. area,so all the salt was in the air,not on the road.It tends to have the same effect on bolts after 30-40 years.
Posted By: snuggles

Re: Rear shock removal - 07/05/13 01:12 PM

Rust sucks. I've cut a bunch
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Rear shock removal - 07/05/13 01:47 PM

that's SOP here in the east
Posted By: floridian

Re: Rear shock removal - 07/05/13 01:58 PM

Quote:

I can understand that happening in the midwest or the south, but the Polara has been a Colorado car since 1968.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the bolts were aftermarket replacements and were not galvanized.

So I guess it doesn't snow, rain or get wet in Colorado??

Re: Rear shock removal - 07/06/13 12:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So I guess it doesn't snow, rain or get wet in Colorado??

Of course we get all kinds of precipitation here, but our humidity percentages are very low.
© 2024 Moparts Forums