Moparts

steering column

Posted By: dawgfather

steering column - 07/03/13 07:01 AM

hey guys I am trying to take apart my steering column... I am hitting a snag at the bottom. I don't know what it is called but I have attached a picture to show you what it is and there is a pin that holds it in place I think and I am trying to get the pin out.. let me know if I am approaching this the wrong way and if you guys have a better way of taking this apart please let me know.. thanks

Attached picture 7763748-steering.JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: steering column - 07/03/13 12:13 PM

the roll pin at the bottom holds the column into the steering box. The coupler (the thing you are looking at) should basically just pull off. It has a couple of retainers in it and a pin. And it should be full of thick black grease.
Posted By: dobie

Re: steering column - 07/03/13 03:20 PM

I rebuilt mine last year. That pin was a bear to get out at first. I just used a big punch, and a bigger hammer and eventually it came out.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: steering column - 07/03/13 03:39 PM

It's called a roll pin, it's a 5/16" roll pin. A 5/16" roll pin punch makes easy work of removing one.

Then there's 1/16" pin that must be slid back to get the shoes out, real easy to do with a pair of channel locks or simular tool.
Posted By: dawgfather

Re: steering column - 07/03/13 05:38 PM

I am guessing that I can punch it through and when I put it back I just put it back from the outside and punch it in right..? thanks again guys..!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums