Moparts

70 Challenger Door lock mechanism

Posted By: KARLN

70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/03/13 01:16 AM

can someone please post some clear pictures of where the rods install for the door lock mechanism?
Got the car back from restoration and of course I can't lock my driver's door. Noticed one rod wasn't connected properly as they probably broke the retaining clip. Strange that it won't lock from the inside either.
I looked at the service manual but it's not very clear. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/03/13 03:43 AM

What about taking the panel off of the pass side door & duplicating what's on that (functioning) side. It'd likely just be a mirror image, piece of cake
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/03/13 05:39 AM

They do wear out. I had to replace the drivers side mech in mine. See if you can use your hand on the lever and lock/unlock it with the rods disconnected.

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/03/13 03:14 PM

tried to lock and unlock using the chrome knob inside and it doesn't seem to move the mechanism to the lock position. I can see that the rods are connected but can't seem to move the cam to the full lock position.
I guess I'll have to pull the passenger side and see but would still appreciate it if someone can post some clear pics.

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/03/13 03:15 PM

I'm sure they wear out but both locks were working perfectly before the car went in for restoration.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/03/13 03:35 PM

Does it lock and unlock with the key

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/03/13 10:26 PM

no it doesn't. Took the inside panel off and noticed that one of the rods had come off. Looks like the retaining clip is broken. Re-installed the rod where I think it belongs but it doesn't lock. The machanism stays in the unlock position.

Any ideas why?
Posted By: cudaized

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/04/13 01:43 AM

Quote:

can someone please post some clear pictures of where the rods install for the door lock mechanism?

1 of 5

Attached picture 7764525-DSC03871.JPG

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/04/13 01:44 AM

Attached picture 7764526-DSC03887.JPG

Attached picture 7764527-DSC03899.JPG

Attached picture 7764529-DSC03900.JPG

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/04/13 01:45 AM

Attached picture 7764530-DSC03904.JPG

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/04/13 01:49 AM

The 70 door latch/locking mechanism is unique. It doesn't allow one to lock the door until the door is closed and latched, or the latch is closed (simulating the closed door).
later year E-Body mechanisms are different. Allowing you to lock the door prior to closing it.

Ola

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/04/13 01:56 AM

Quote:

no it doesn't. Took the inside panel off and noticed that one of the rods had come off. Looks like the retaining clip is broken. Re-installed the rod where I think it belongs but it doesn't lock. The machanism stays in the unlock position.

Any ideas why?

You may need to clean the mechanism thoroughly. Perhaps remove it. clean it, lubricate it, then reinstall.
It might be that simple.

Reach in and see if you can move the big round counter weight up and down (after the latch is closed).

It might be that the lock rod is not attached correctly?

I hope the pictures help.

Ola
Posted By: BDW

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/04/13 02:56 AM

The only being able to lock it with a key is a pain.
I modified my driver's side so it locks when the door is closed like the later models.

Posted By: Nimbus426

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/04/13 03:59 AM

Quote:

tried to lock and unlock using the chrome knob inside and it doesn't seem to move the mechanism to the lock position. I can see that the rods are connected but can't seem to move the cam to the full lock position.
I guess I'll have to pull the passenger side and see but would still appreciate it if someone can post some clear pics.

I have the opposite problem. I can't get my door unlocked. Or unlatched is the better word. I haven't been able to open my 70 barracuda driver's door since I brought it home in March. I thought it was stuck in the lock position so I reached in and flipped the switch and it locked it instead. So the door is not locked and when comparing the working passenger door to this one the rods are pulling the same and everything seems to be working fine but it stays latched. And I have no earthly idea how to unlatch it with the door closed. Very frustrating especially when I stop for gas.

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/04/13 02:27 PM

the pics were very helpful!
Hope to get this fixed tonight.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/05/13 03:13 AM

quick update, the experts are right again the door locks from the inside with the door closed only. I reinstalled the rod that had come off but it still doesn't lock from the outside. It does turn the cam but not quiet enough to lock the door.
Any suggestions??

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/05/13 03:44 AM

Is the small lock rod bent?
Small plastic insert, where the lock rod is inserted, missing or broken?

Does it lock if you move the locking part with your hand?
Easy to try. Remove the small lock rod from the outside door handle and lock with your hand.

Attached picture 7765764-_1.jpg

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/05/13 04:16 AM

the plastic insert was missing, I replaced it with a similar piece I picked up at a jobber. The rod doesn't appear to be bent but not really sure what the original shape was. I found it sitting on the bottom of the door as the plastic retainer was missing.
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 07/05/13 03:52 PM

Good stuff cudaized!
Posted By: Finoke

Re: 70 Challenger Door lock mechanism - 05/06/15 12:25 PM

An oldie, but a goodie.
© 2024 Moparts Forums