Moparts

bad starter relay causes my coil to go out

Posted By: bigblockbryan

bad starter relay causes my coil to go out - 07/02/13 05:57 PM

okay heres what happened my starter relay seems to be sticking so sometimes the car will not shut off anyway so its a 4 speed so easy enough well what i didnt think of is my electric fuel pump. Is wired into my igtion and it ran my battery dead because i didnt disconnect it and in the process i have my pumped wired to my coil so it would kick on off it boiled the oil so hot that it popped the top off my question when running why dosnt the coil do this is it because the engine running the pumps not always running?
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: bad starter relay causes my coil to go out - 07/02/13 08:37 PM

Wow..... what did you say?
Posted By: radar

Re: bad starter relay causes my coil to go out - 07/02/13 09:16 PM

Yes, I agree that it is a bad idea to cook a coil by leaving the power to it on. I'm not sure how you have everything wired but relays from keyed ignition power are your friend. I had a 54 dodge pickup that I wired a separate switch for coil +12v. Sucked because it was possible to leave it on and take the key out and have that problem like you. Sorry for the bad luck man!
Posted By: skicker

Re: bad starter relay causes my coil to go out - 07/02/13 09:21 PM

Sounds to me like the alternater is wired in after the ignition switch. That will keep it from shutting off and will also supply hot power back thru the alternater to the coil. And yes they will explode if the power is on and they are not being ran. I had this happen in a dirt car I got out and bumped the switch to on without the engine running. About 30 minutes later or so and boom. What a frikken mess!
© 2024 Moparts Forums