Moparts

904 Output Shaft Swap

Posted By: dragracer1

904 Output Shaft Swap - 07/02/13 04:09 PM

Hey Tech Peeps, can you replace an output shaft in a 904 trany without pulling the guts or the pan off? I almost positive that I have a bent output shaft and I have a new one sitting at the house. But I don't have the time nor the money to have the trany pulled apart just to try a new output shaft in the middle of the season. If I don't have to pull the trany apart then I can do it myself during the week.

thanks!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 904 Output Shaft Swap - 07/02/13 04:40 PM

No you can not , it is held to the gear train by a snap ring to the front planet , removal and complete disassembly required.
Posted By: dragracer1

Re: 904 Output Shaft Swap - 07/02/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

No you can not , it is held to the gear train by a snap ring to the front planet , removal and complete disassembly required.

UHG, I was afraid of that. Thank you very much for the reply! At least now I know what I have to do to get it swapped out.

thanks John!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 904 Output Shaft Swap - 07/02/13 05:14 PM

Are you sure the output shaft is bent? I've never run into or heard of that (which dont mean it ain't never happened) but as I'm sure you know I'd want to confirm it before going to all that trouble to drop the trans.
Posted By: Bumbalawski

Re: 904 Output Shaft Swap - 07/02/13 05:51 PM

We have twisted the 904 shafts off at the speedometer gear area of the shaft. Or perhaps the bushing in the tail shaft is worn which would cause a problem.
© 2024 Moparts Forums