Moparts

Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install

Posted By: YO7_A66

Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/01/13 02:20 PM

I am currently installing an electric fuel pump and before I put fuel through it, I just want to make sure that the pump itself works. I am tired of buying brand new electrical parts then installing them to find out that they are bad out of the box.
I wanted to test the pump just to see if it would spin before I mounted it up. So I quickly put the black wire on the negative side of the battery and then touched the red wire on the positive side of the battery and all I got was a spark at the positive battery terminal. I then decided that this may not be the best way to test it, so now I am asking how to test it properly before I mount it.

Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/01/13 02:35 PM

Electrically that is how it is hooked up, no mistake there with what you did with the connections.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/01/13 02:57 PM

you might not have a firm enough connection,clamp the red wire firmly to the bat. then push down firmly with the ground.

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/01/13 03:11 PM

I need to install the electrical connectors, so I will try and retest it with better connections.
Thanks

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/02/13 02:25 AM

I put connectors on the wires and tried again. No pump movement and the top of the motor started getting warm. Unless the Holley Red pump is quiet as a mouse, then this pump has issues.
Do these pumps get tested at the factory with white pipe dope? What got me to worry about this pump is when I pulled it out of the box, there was white thread sealant in the ports.
I wonder if this was re-packaged at Summit.
Before I call Summit, are there any chances that this pump is good?

Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/02/13 03:14 AM

it's been used if it came with no NPT fittings & there's pipe dope on the female threads of the pump. You hooked it right electrically as the spark tells you there is complete circuit continuity. It's a bad pump
Posted By: markz528

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/02/13 04:24 AM

They do not like to be run dry. You could ruin a pump running it dry. If it is not spinning it might be tight from have having fuel as lubrication.

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/02/13 11:25 AM

My plan was to just hear it spin (quick test before hooking it up)and stop, but it never spun.
I will be calling Summit to get a replacement.

Thanks allot.

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/02/13 01:30 PM

I contacted Summit and they will exchange it with no problems. They did say that Holley sends these boxed and ready to ship, so if anyone re-packaged the pump, it was Holley. They have one being shipped out today and I just need to ship mine back for a full refund.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Re: Testing Electric Fuel Pump Before Install - 07/05/13 09:10 PM

I received my second pump from Summit and I touched the wires (very quickly) to the battery and it spun!

Thanks guys
© 2024 Moparts Forums