Moparts

Bead Blaster Window Protector?

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 03:41 AM

I have owned a harbor freight table top bead blaster for some time. The unit came with a thin plastic film affixed to the window. That film became etched and I removed it. I assume that I need to replace it so as to not etch the glass. Harbor freight guys look at me cross eyed when I ask if they have replacements.

Anyone know what material to use and where to get it?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 04:11 AM

http://www.eastwood.com/abrasive-blasting-cabinet-lens-cover-pack-of-67.html

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 05:20 AM

Four sheets for $10 plus shipping... Not terrible, but I need it now and seems like I could buy a whole role for $15...
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 06:39 AM

I use clear box tape works great
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 11:55 AM

I cover the whole window with duct tape and only remove what I need to see. After a while the whole window needs replaced. I don't use a HF blaster, I got mine locally here in town and they sell all the acc/glass and have them in stock.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 12:35 PM

Pick up some clear mylar sheets at a local stationary, craft, or hobby store and use double back tape to secure it to the underside of the glass.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 01:17 PM

Find a distributor of "plastic sheet, rod and tube" in your local Yellow Pages. Ask for a sheet of PETG. .020 works well and cuts with a utility knife. Here in Canada a 4' x 8' sheet sells for $30. and you can probably get 16 pieces out of it. You can get thinner or thicker.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 02:23 PM

I ain't in that position but what Challenger & BulletBob said makes good sense: covering most of the screen leaving just enough to see what you're doing then some clear packaging tape: cheap/practical/simple
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

I ain't in that position but what Challenger & BulletBob said makes good sense: covering most of the screen leaving just enough to see what you're doing then some clear packaging tape: cheap/practical/simple

And a mess to remove !! Go to any hardware store,most have clear roll vinyl (same thing you use for storm windows) anywhere from 4 to 12 mill,52" wide usually around $3.00 /$3.50 a yard.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 03:28 PM

The problem with a sheet of plastic is the media still get's in between it and the glass and you can't see and then the whole sheet of plastic get's blurred and then the whole thing needs to be replaced too often.

The least of the PIA is to tape up the window and remove what you need to see with a razor blade scraper. Then you have a nice little 3X3" window that is new to see through each time you remove a section of tape. Like I said eventually you will need new glass no matter how you do it. This method was suggested to me by the guys who sell the equipment and is the least PIA, I have been using my blast cabinet for over 25 years now.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 03:39 PM

Quote:

The problem with a sheet of plastic is the media still get's in between it and the glass and you can't see and then the whole sheet of plastic get's blurred and then the whole thing needs to be replaced too often.

Not if you double back tape it to the underside of the glass, as I mentioned earlier.
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 04:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not if you double back tape it to the underside of the glass, as I mentioned earlier.

I use the plastic film over the glass and tape all the way around. Never any media between the glass and this will last 8-10 hrs of blast time if your paying attention. Changing the film takes only a couple minutes and I have a nice large 12"X24" window to look through. This cabinet sees 20-25 hrs of blast time per week.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 07:29 PM

Graingers sells big rolls of the right stuff.

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/01/13 08:01 PM

Great responses, guys! Thank you!
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/02/13 01:05 AM

I spend the $6 for a new window from the glass shop every year or so. I also installed rivnuts to hold the frame instead of using screws and nuts...Tim
Posted By: markz528

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/02/13 01:40 AM

Grainger

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ECONOLINE-Window-Underlayment-3JT13?Pid=search

I use silicone to adhere it.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/02/13 04:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And a mess to remove !! Go to any hardware store,most have clear roll vinyl (same thing you use for storm windows) anywhere from 4 to 12 mill,52" wide usually around $3.00 /$3.50 a yard. [/quote
Peels right off not a mess to remove.
Been doing it that way for 25+years

Of course it gets used almost every day that might count.

I will tell you one thing though we've put more expanded metal & gloves on it than glass over the years

It pays to think with your mind & money
I buy 3M tape & don't scrape anything
Posted By: floridian

Re: Bead Blaster Window Protector? - 07/02/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

I spend the $6 for a new window from the glass shop every year or so. I also installed rivnuts to hold the frame instead of using screws and nuts...Tim

© 2024 Moparts Forums