Moparts

Squeeky S-Belt

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Squeeky S-Belt - 06/30/13 05:12 PM

what is good for quieting down a noisey S-Belt? I was told normal belt dressing is a no-no...
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 06/30/13 05:39 PM

It seems like the quality of serp belts have been getting worse lately. The aftermarket belts seem to be the worse offenders.They only last about 15k anymore, the factory belts go about 30k.At the Toyota shop new Tundra belts only go about 30k before you have to replace the $150.00 belt.
Gus
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 06/30/13 08:56 PM

Goodyear "Gatorback" worked for me.
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 06/30/13 08:57 PM

if all else fails, try a Dayco W belt.

http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycoweb.nsf/BeltNoiseTechTip!OpenPage

here is a link
http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycoweb.ns...91!OpenDocument
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 06/30/13 09:01 PM

We use gatorbacks most of the time with no issues.
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 06/30/13 09:37 PM

ya the gater-back is very good...
Posted By: wingman

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 06/30/13 10:04 PM

Of course, a worn out or poor quality tensioner can make an otherwise good belt squeak.

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 07/01/13 12:11 PM

Thanks I'll try the gator back and check the tenisoner... it quiets down after 5-10 minutes of driving.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 07/01/13 12:20 PM

My original Dakota serpentine belt squealed a lot. Put a new Gates on and it did the same thing. Shut the engine off and rubbed baby powder on both sides of it, didn't squeak again for quite a while.
Posted By: meep_meep

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 07/01/13 01:15 PM

I've always had problems with the cheapy belts, they squeak and stretch out quickly...Spend the $$ on the good belt(dayco/gatorback), don't buy the cheapy in house brand...
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 07/01/13 05:02 PM

Replacing the tensioner will probably be what is needed. I went with changing to differenet brands belts etc. and the end result was I needed a new tensioner.
Posted By: DaveKanofsky

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 07/01/13 07:14 PM

Before installing your new belt, be sure nothing is glazed over. Rub all of the pulleys with Scotch Brite and brake cleaner first.

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 07/01/13 07:23 PM

Quote:

Before installing your new belt, be sure nothing is glazed over. Rub all of the pulleys with Scotch Brite and brake cleaner first.

this is on a car I picked up as a driver. I'm assuming the belt was replaced w/ the water pump a few months ago... can I spray brake clean on it while it's running?
Posted By: ahy

Re: Squeeky S-Belt - 07/01/13 11:52 PM

Brakeclean may soften it and get it to stop for a few minutes... then its likely to let go. I don't think brakecleen and rubber get along very well. If you need something quick, belt dressing may be worth a try but the high quality belt is the best fix.

Also check the tensioner and all accessories. My daughter's Jeep tended to squeak when cold. Good belt and good tension. Finally the alternator seized up completely and completely cooked the belt. New alternator and no squeak at all. The alternator must have been tight for quite a while.
© 2024 Moparts Forums