Moparts

Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation

Posted By: Adam71Charger

Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 02:57 AM

This setup is all new to me, and Im lost. Trying to install my rotor and caliper. I have slider type calipers. Now that my 11.75 rotor wheel bearing races are installed, Im ready to put the bearings in and then onto the spindle. But, I cant figure out which way my oil seal is supposed to be facing, some directions I found say point the lip of the seal inwards, but I dont know which side is the lip or what direction inwards means.

here is the back of my rotor:

Now which way does the oil seal go into the rotor? pic 1 or pic 2??

Pic #1

Pic #2
Posted By: RichL1967

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:05 AM

All the seals like that I have seen were installed like #1.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:08 AM

Pic 2 goes to the outside.Pic one goes to the bearing side.A lot of the new seal dont have the rubber piece.Rocky
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:12 AM

Sharp edge of the seals lip goes into rotor to keep the grease in. Sharp edge of the seal always goes to the source of the fluid to keep it in rather than channeling it out. The lip allows the fluid or grease to be moved away from the shaft or in this case the spindle instead of forcing it by the seal.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:12 AM

#2 is the correct way to install that seal.

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:15 AM

ok, got it in. Now, the shop manual says to put on the rotor and bearings, then the thrust washer and adjusting nut, then tighten the adjusting nut to 90 ft/lbs, then back off enought to fit cotter pin in. The end result should be zero to .003" end play.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:19 AM

Did you pack the bearings?

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:25 AM

yes I packed the bearings. Then i tightened the adjustment nut to 90lbs, and backed off just a little.. the rotor is difficult to turn, doesnt feel right
Posted By: therocks

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:36 AM

Probally too tight.I alwyas tighten them tight then back off till just loose.Then just snug them down.Ive done them for over 40 years but once you do them a few times you get the feel for it.I dont like tight bearings.As long as the rotor dosent move they are good.Some drag will be felt.Try loosening them.Till loose and turn the rotor.Then start snugging till you fell a bit of drag spinning the rotor.Then install the cotter key.I did them at work for over 30 years and never had a bearing failure.Rocky
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:37 AM

new bearings and grease are hard to turn, u will find it easier to turn once you mount the wheel assy...try it..mount it on with lug nuts..and spin
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:40 AM

Quote:

ok, got it in. Now, the shop manual says to put on the rotor and bearings, then the thrust washer and adjusting nut, then tighten the adjusting nut to 90 ft/lbs, then back off enought to fit cotter pin in. The end result should be zero to .003" end play.

Not a factory shop manual is it?

Should be 90 INCH/pounds, typo in the manual. Ran into that one a long time ago.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 03:45 AM

Yeah, 90 foot pounds is way too tight and pic #1 is WRONG.

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 04:19 AM

90...inch..lbs...my bad

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 05:23 AM

so this is one of my caliper sets, it says L so Im assuming it's drivers side. Do I use all of these pieces? or are they just there as a universal setup for multiple applications?

Here's all the pieces.

I put 1 pad on first, it hangs itself on the grooves of the caliper adapter, then on goes the other pad and caliper body. The outlet for the brake hose is pointing towards the rear of the car, this seems correct.. or do I have the calipers switched?

Then I attached the 2 larger metal plates and bolts, although I dont know which way they are supposed to face

Now I have these pieces left over. what are they for?

Posted By: roe

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 05:26 AM

Did mine a while back and instAlled like pic#2. That was based off my Manual and the old ones that I pulled off.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 05:38 AM

One universal truth is that the bleeder screw should be on the top of the caliper.

R.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 06:05 AM

put the 2 small tin pieces on the bolt(s) then the bolt/tin piece goes in/thru the large tin pieces, in other words the bolt goes thru the small tin piece then thru the large flat tin piece. Want the 1 pad to be loose as installed & file the ends if need be. The other pad with the 2 "L" mounting tabs you want to bend them (the L tabs) so you have to hammer tap that pad half in place so the pad is firmly secured to the caliper. Put disc brake quiet on the back side of the pads where there is contact. Clean the rotor/front pad faces with brake kleen. The "L" is referring to the left caliper which are side specific not the parts in the pic. FYI 76 A body calipers & FMJ calipers have a 2.75" bore & 73-75 A body calipers have 2.60" bore & you want the largest bore on the front you can get. Toss the rubber bands.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 06:08 AM

Quote:

so this is one of my caliper sets, it says L so Im assuming it's drivers side. Do I use all of these pieces? or are they just there as a universal setup for multiple applications?

Here's all the pieces.

I put 1 pad on first, it hangs itself on the grooves of the caliper adapter, then on goes the other pad and caliper body. The outlet for the brake hose is pointing towards the rear of the car, this seems correct.. or do I have the calipers switched?

Then I attached the 2 larger metal plates and bolts, although I dont know which way they are supposed to face

Now I have these pieces left over. what are they for?

Those two pieces go under the bolt (top & bottom) of the caliper - where you put the metal pieces. These are the anti rattle pieces that go over the brake pad "ears" . . sorry, don't have a pic . . am sure someone will post a pic . . . oh, and the "elastic" band parts - supposed to go on the caliper adapter, where the pad ears sit, kinda like anti rust/sieze item - but they always get chewed up and are never there, don't worry about NOT putting them on !

Cheers

Mark

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 07:12 AM

Quote:

put the 2 small tin pieces on the bolt(s) then the bolt/tin piece goes in/thru the large tin pieces, in other words the bolt goes thru the small tin piece then thru the large flat tin piece. Want the 1 pad to be loose as installed & file the ends if need be. The other pad with the 2 "L" mounting tabs you want to bend them (the L tabs) so you have to hammer tap that pad half in place so the pad is firmly secured to the caliper. Put disc brake quiet on the back side of the pads where there is contact. Clean the rotor/front pad faces with brake kleen. The "L" is referring to the caliper(s) which are side specific not the parts in the pic. FYI 76 A body calipers & FMJ calipers have a 2.75" bore & 73-75 A body calipers have 2.60" bore & you want the largest bore on the front you can get. Toss the rubber bands.

Ill try this tomorrow.

and I got calipers for a 77 Diplomat so I got the 2.75"
Posted By: BDW

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 12:15 PM

O-rings go here

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 12:54 PM

Quote:

yes I packed the bearings. Then i tightened the adjustment nut to 90lbs, and backed off just a little.. the rotor is difficult to turn, doesnt feel right

90ft/lb has to be a typo , not the first time , that is way to tight for a bearing to begin with , I can see 90 inch lbs.

I have never torqued front wheel bearings, always did it by feel. I have to change that , I did torque them once , when working on the mustang that belonged to a friend with a PhD in Physics ...
Posted By: roe

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 04:03 PM

I don't remember the number (I'll check when I get home) but mine had me torque to specified # of inch lbs, then loosen and retighten hand tight and secure with cotter pin.

roe
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 06/29/13 04:30 PM

Don't forget to bend the locating tabs on the outer pads, so that they are snugly clamped into caliper, because if they slide around in the caliper when you lay them in there, they will surely rattle when you drive it.

Re: Walk me through my wheel and caliper installation - 07/02/13 02:32 AM

Got everything put together right. Went on my maiden voyage last night, and didnt get too far, horrible noise. Turns out I put in 1 brake pad backwards, chewed up the backside of the rotor , but thats what i get for being impatient. Got that turned around and the alignment done today. Drives decent, but there is definitely a vibration, I think its the tranny mount.
© 2024 Moparts Forums