Moparts

Center of gravity for B body?

Posted By: 70runner

Center of gravity for B body? - 06/28/13 12:56 AM

Specifically 70 Road Runner, but most 66-70B bodies will probably be similar.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 06/28/13 03:55 AM

If you need to be accurate, you have to measure with accurate scales. But kentucky windage guesses, wet or dry, with or without driver, bb or sb, any non stock mods, rear discs, alum heads, ac, etc

Regardless I bet its close to gear shift in line with the cam
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 06/28/13 05:21 AM

Can't guarantee it, but such data is likely to be here:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ama/1970AutomobileManufacturersAssociation-01.shtml
Posted By: it's Bob

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 06/28/13 07:49 AM

Seems to me from loading the few 60s-70s Mopars on a trailer that I have done, the CG is usually just about in line with the front door/front fender gap. Maybe just a few inches aft from there, but pretty close. IMHO.

Bob
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 07/01/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

Seems to me from loading the few 60s-70s Mopars on a trailer that I have done, the CG is usually just about in line with the front door/front fender gap. Maybe just a few inches aft from there, but pretty close. IMHO.

Bob

Thx all. Short of doing the exact meas on scales, that's what I was thinking, near the outside rear view. Trying to figure out where to position the posts for my lift.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 07/02/13 01:03 AM

If you go to the longacre site, they have an explanation how to check the CG and it also gives you directions on checking the CG height if you put the scales up 1' on one end. Tim
Posted By: jcc

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 07/02/13 02:18 AM

I think this post is like the guy who asks what time it is and we tell him how to build a watch. The OP wanted to know the balance point and we told him the 3d CoG.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 07/02/13 06:50 PM

Sit in the seat and put your thumb in your belly button. That is pretty close
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 07/02/13 07:15 PM

Car Life Magazine published front to rear weight distribution in thier feature reviews.

I had to dig around a little....
Bingo!

Car Life Feb. 1969
1969 Super Bee 383 auto road test

Tested weight= 3650 lbs
53.6/46.4 front to rear weight distribution

Options on tested car: disk brakes, column auto, bench seat, power windows, power steering, 3.91 gear package, hemi suspenion.

Next...

Car Life July 1969
1969 Super Bee 400-6 auto road test

Tested weight= 4160 lbs
54.2/45.8 front to rear weight distribution

Options on tested car: column auto. power drum, power steering, side scoops.

***There is an April 1969 Car Life that test Hemi and 440 Chargers. You should be able to find a copy of it online if you dig hard.

So those are actual tested measure numbers with the options that very tested car had.

70Runner, I think your car will be very close.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Center of gravity for B body? - 07/04/13 12:00 AM

Quote:

Sit in the seat and put your thumb in your belly button. That is pretty close

The '67 Chrysler FSM I have shows the CG as being pretty much where that would be. I'm assuming a Dodge/Plymouth FSM would show CG's too?
© 2024 Moparts Forums