Moparts

How to get old tires off rims

Posted By: DAMOPARS

How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 12:41 PM

How to get old (trashed) tires off some rims?
Any tips?
I know take them to a tire shop, but why not save a few bucks.
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 12:51 PM

A saws-all works pretty good, as long as the bead is broken, and you can get under it.
Posted By: patrick

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 12:53 PM

you can make your own bead breaker with a 2x4, a 1x4, 2 door hinges and a wall, then either use a crowbar to get them off the rims, or take a sawzall to the the tires.

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 01:03 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Fastfrankie

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 01:41 PM

Dude, using a sawzall will tear up blades, take you a while and will do nothing but frustrate you.
If you bring them to a shop, they may want like ten bucks to dismount 3 tires. I don't know about you, but my time is money. I tired the sawzall trick years ago and it sucks...

I was tired of paying tire shops to do mounting, dismounting, etc. I found a like new, Coats 40-40 for $125 and bought it and its a great machine to have! Now I do all my own tire work. Soon after I bought the tire machine, I found an older Snap On Wheel balancer for $250. Now I am totally self sufficient!
Posted By: CJK440

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 01:59 PM

Break the bead by laying the wheel on the driveway, place a 2x4 like a ramp on the tire so the edge is just short of the rim and drive a car/truck up the ramp. I have had some so stubborn, I'd have to pound the tire with a mallet before the bead popped. Just be careful. Once the bead is popped, a little soapy water, a prybar and some old fashioned sweat and you'll get them right off.

If you don't want to mar the wheels, place some plywood down first.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 02:24 PM

as said you gotta break that bead one way or another. I've hacksawed them but if the bead has glued itself up in there it has to be broken loose.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 02:25 PM

That L shaped thing in your trunk called a tire iron is designed for it. I've used them many times to mount and dismount tires from rims.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 02:35 PM

Simple. Run the edge over with your car. I do mine all the time.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 02:42 PM

i use my car by jacking up the car, place the rim on the floor and lower the car tire on the rubber of the old tire to break the rim , do the same for the other side...then just remove it with large pry bar like removing a bike tire...
Posted By: I go fast

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 02:55 PM

Quote:

How to get old (trashed) tires off some rims?
Any tips?
I know take them to a tire shop, but why not save a few bucks.

For the aggravation,I would pay someone the few bucks and have them taken off.Saves a lot of cursing and swearing!
Posted By: SPWC

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 04:04 PM

Although a little dangerous,I have used a bumper jack base plate on the bead(make sure the valve core is removed. I jack the vehicle up and normally the bead breaks really easily. On some I have needed to leave the car suspended while the weight and gravity,slowly broke the bead.Sometimes I cant do this because I dont have a vehicle equipped with a bumper to accept a bumper jack.When using this method,stand clear and go(jack up) slow.Then once one side is done,I flip it over and do the other side.

Harbor freight sells bead breakers,and I recently acquired one,its pretty handy

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92961

Once both beads are broken down,I then break out my tire irons,and a mallet and go to town(not literally). Always remember that if you are working on a wheel with a reverse offset that the backside(side facing inwards when mounted on a car) has to be taken off first,otherwise youll have nothing but trouble.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 04:54 PM

Quote:

Dude, using a sawzall will tear up blades, take you a while and will do nothing but frustrate you.
If you bring them to a shop, they may want like ten bucks to dismount 3 tires. I don't know about you, but my time is money. I tired the sawzall trick years ago and it sucks...

I was tired of paying tire shops to do mounting, dismounting, etc. I found a like new, Coats 40-40 for $125 and bought it and its a great machine to have! Now I do all my own tire work. Soon after I bought the tire machine, I found an older Snap On Wheel balancer for $250. Now I am totally self sufficient!

I bought my own too last year, should have done many years earlier.
My "friends"(at the tire shop right next door to my business) got me for $6.00 per tire to dismount and $8.00 each tire to mount. After getting that bill I decided to buy my own. Plus it's a PITA to drop em off and then have keep calling to check if there ready yet.
I've earned about 100.00 bucks with it so far this year by doing tires for friends and I've only had it about a year. I've been doing truck tires by hand for years but I could never do passenger tires, there tough with out the right tool. Mine stays on a skid so I can move it around, it's all air, no electric.

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 05:06 PM

Quote:

That L shaped thing in your trunk called a tire iron is designed for it. I've used them many times to mount and dismount tires from rims.

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 07:34 PM

You only paid $125 for the balancer pictured? There is no way, unless it was hot! Crappy, worn out, filthy used ones are $300 or more usually. Consider yourself extremely lucky!

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 07:36 PM

Tire changer............I meant............
Posted By: 70SWGR

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 09:23 PM

I'm thinking about trying a cutting wheel on a die grinder?
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 09:40 PM

I use this one from Harbor Freight, bought it on sale for $39.95, reg is $49.95. Make sure you get it anchored securely.

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/07/08 10:37 PM

Thanks again,

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/08/08 01:12 AM

Quote:

You only paid $125 for the balancer pictured? There is no way, unless it was hot! Crappy, worn out, filthy used ones are $300 or more usually. Consider yourself extremely lucky!

I did'nt say that.
Posted By: CtownChris

Re: How to get old tires off rims - 12/08/08 02:10 AM

"I was tired of paying tire shops to do mounting, dismounting, etc. I found a like new, Coats 40-40 for $125 and bought it and its a great machine to have"

FastFrankie said it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums