Moparts

How important are the engine to transmission struts?

Posted By: cudabitten

How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/22/13 10:17 PM

Hey, this might be a dumb question as I do not like leaving out things like braces etc... The trans to engine brace on the passenger side does not fit since I added headers, and the driver side is too short since I swapped the 360 for the 318.
Everything else is bolted in place except for these braces. I might be able to grind or cut the passenger brace to clear the headers.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/22/13 11:16 PM

I'm sure the majority of responders will tell you they've been running for XX years without them and "never had a problem".

The unsupported portion of the small block bellhousing hangs below the block more than the big block does and needs the support...decide for yourself.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/22/13 11:22 PM

most headers do not fit with them in place.

this may be the deciding factor for most people.
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/22/13 11:31 PM

I run the brace on one side only. Same deal headers don't allow the other. I do however run a torque strap; the solid Schumacher one. No issues.....yet.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/22/13 11:50 PM

It runs without them..done it for years
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/23/13 01:58 AM

They're there for a reason !!
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/23/13 02:33 AM

That's an intriguing question. On one side is the fact that Chrysler [ or any other manufacturer for that matter ] never spent the money to put a part on a car if they didn't think it was necessary. At the same time they didn't put them on manual trasmission cars which were subjected to higher shock loads. All I can say is that lots of people with headers do without one or both braces and they don't appear to have any problems that can be attributed to the lack of a brace[s]. FWIW when I had my old Duster with a 727 and TTI headers I modified the factory brace to fit. Pretty sure it was the right side brace that I altered.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/23/13 01:19 PM

Quote:

That's an intriguing question. On one side is the fact that Chrysler [ or any other manufacturer for that matter ] never spent the money to put a part on a car if they didn't think it was necessary. At the same time they didn't put them on manual trasmission cars which were subjected to higher shock loads. All I can say is that lots of people with headers do without one or both braces and they don't appear to have any problems that can be attributed to the lack of a brace[s]. FWIW when I had my old Duster with a 727 and TTI headers I modified the factory brace to fit. Pretty sure it was the right side brace that I altered.

I was going to say the same thing.

even on the 97-04 Dakotas, the automatic trucks had block to lower bell braces. Manual trucks did not get these braces.

so...why are they there on some trucks but not on others? what exactly are they supporting?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/23/13 01:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was going to say the same thing.

even on the 97-04 Dakotas, the automatic trucks had block to lower bell braces. Manual trucks did not get these braces.

so...why are they there on some trucks but not on others? what exactly are they supporting?

looking at the thickness of the auto bell and the manual bell, the manual bell is thicker and more ridgid.

I have broke a auto bell before by running over cyprees knees/stumps in the swamps,cant say I have done that with the manual trans.

same reason the xfer comes with a ridged brace. I busted more than 1 alum xfer without them inplace

IMHO, you can run without them but you need to be ready to fix it at any giving time.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/23/13 02:19 PM

Quote:

That's an intriguing question. On one side is the fact that Chrysler [ or any other manufacturer for that matter ] never spent the money to put a part on a car if they didn't think it was necessary.

VERY true .... and the one item that comes to mind is the drain-plug on the 727 trans some years back ..... Mopar eliminated that plug because it saved (so I heard) FIVE CENTS per pan ......

...but there was another second MINOR reason. ANYone else know that ?
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/23/13 02:22 PM

Quote:

VERY true .... and the one item that comes to mind is the drain-plug on the 727 trans some years back ..... Mopar eliminated that plug because it saved (so I heard) FIVE CENTS per pan ......

...but there was another second MINOR reason. ANYone else know that ?

Have to drop the pan so no excuse for not changing filter during service.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/23/13 02:25 PM

Kinda' close ... but no ceegar ?...
Posted By: jcc

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/23/13 03:37 PM

Quote:

I have broke a auto bell before by running over cyprees knees/stumps in the swamps,cant say I have done that with the manual trans.

We finally have an answer to a decades old question on moparts, when approaching cypress knees with an auto, make sure you install your struts. Thanks Mike
Posted By: 71vert340

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/20/14 05:25 PM

I wanted to bring this topic up one last time. Did all 318, 340, and 360 cars come with these engine to bell struts ( braces)? Was it just the automatic cars? Was it dependent on whether it was a B-body, e-body or A-body? Did the 1970 - 71 cars have them? I remember them being on my 74 auto Charger but not on my 71 manual trans e-body car.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/20/14 07:04 PM

I can tell you that on a Slant/904 drag car with a trans brake leaving that brace off will result in the bellhousing breaking off the case.

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/20/14 07:57 PM

I guess I'll ask these questions also. What are the people restoring small block cars and the survivor cars doing with these struts? Are they on the cars? Has anyone noticed them on the survivor cars? It appears some of the racers are using them
Terry
Posted By: wesgtx440

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/20/14 08:02 PM

Terry,

I restored an all original 71 340 automatic RR and it had the braces that you are referring to. I did put them back on the car as well.

Wes
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/20/14 08:15 PM

I just bought a set..there must be dfferent ones...some are notched out..some not..must be year specific
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/20/14 10:54 PM

I know for a fact if you don't use them and your trans to engine bolts work loose, you will be replacing your broken flex plate before long. For added insurance use the supports.
Posted By: BDW

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/21/14 01:47 AM

Anyone have pics of what these are and where located? Don't think I've seen them?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/21/14 02:20 AM

Quote:

Anyone have pics of what these are and where located? Don't think I've seen them?

Reason you probably never seen them, is everyone tosses them! I've tossed every set I've ever removed

There's a brace on both sides, one behind the starter and the other behind the oil filter....I think the only ones I ever re-installed were /6's they really needed it

Mike

Attached picture 8182671-brace.JPG
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/21/14 05:34 AM

There are parts that the factory installed that may NOT have had anything to do with strength or durability, but reduced vibrations or rattles.
The weighted dampers are one example. I've seen them near the transmission tailshaft on different model cars. My 2007 Ram has them between the frame and rocker panels under the cab.
These braces the OP mentions have always been removed and tossed on every car I've built. I've had slanty Darts and Dusters, V8 trucks, the Charger, etc and the braces are never reinstalled.

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/21/14 06:34 AM

I have 3 sets of these struts. The 3 I have that go on the passengers side behind the oil filter all look like the one in the picture above. The 3 I have that go on the drivers side are all slightly different - maybe for different years. It looks like they were only on the automatic cars. I cannot recall ever having seen them on manual transmission cars. Anyone else remember them on manual tranny cars? I'll try to post pictures of the ones I have tomorrow.
Terry

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/21/14 06:54 AM

I just had one of those "DUH" moments. I have a small block 727 trans sitting out in my shop with a small block manual bellhousing next to it. Compared the bolt patterns on both the auto trans and the bellhousing and there are no threaded bolt holes on the bell housing to bolt the struts to. The bellhousing on the starter side doesn't even come down far enough for the strut. On the passenger side, the bellhousing has an unthreaded hole but it's not machined for a nut on the backside. So, no struts on a manual trans small block. I'm trying to make my 74 Rallye Charger correct, so I'll reinstall the struts on it. Thanks.
Terry
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/21/14 07:34 AM

I haven't had a set on our GTS since we bought it in 1983. I will be installing a set when I do the car the next time. I like the added insurance, but it also hasn't bothered me much over the years and miles...
Posted By: bonefish

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/21/14 03:24 PM

Quote:

Kinda' close ... but no ceegar ?...

WELL?
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/21/14 06:59 PM

Toss them and don't look back...

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/22/14 05:49 AM

Here's a pic of the struts. The ones on the right go behind the oil filter and the those on the left go between the block and the starter. The starter side ones must vary some ( year and body?) as you can see by the picture.

Attached picture 8183832-20140621_151353(Medium).jpg
Posted By: roe

Re: How important are the engine to transmission struts? - 06/22/14 05:55 AM

Quote:

Toss them and don't look back...

The ones pictured above are the ones I had. On my first Satellite I had, they weren't there because of the headers.

Then I tossed the ones that were on my current Satellite when I installed my Dougs headers. I never experienced any issues with my previous car, or with my current one after the header install.

roe
© 2024 Moparts Forums