Moparts

74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls?

Posted By: MPerry

74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/15/13 09:26 PM

I need to put my glass back in.
I was thinking of using a glass installer but wasn't happy with their terms. ($200,have to bring it to their shop, and no guarantees)

My concerns are about using urethane which seems to be the only stuff I am finding available.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/15/13 10:39 PM

Shop around, I just had that done on my 71. He came to my house and removed the improperly installed glass and redid it with urethane. $120. And installed the trim.

Re: 74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/15/13 10:51 PM

I plan to call a different place on Monday but I'm still hoping to get some info in case that falls through.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/16/13 03:25 AM

Try to find someone that knows these old cars. It isn't in far enough the trim wont go on, and too far and there will be a big gap.
Posted By: 1ol74charger4me

Re: 74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/16/13 09:40 PM

Quote:

Try to find someone that knows these old cars. It isn't in far enough the trim wont go on, and too far and there will be a big gap.

X2!!!!
If you are the doityourselfer kind, you can still buy pinchweld primer and buytl tape kits from anybody that sells 3m (NAPA for 1). I'm sure somebody can walk u through the install or internet how to. Ask at a local bodyshop for a referral on glass and they can tell you where to find the old guy that does the old cars. The glass company will just send out monkeyboy because to them it's just a car.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: 74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/21/13 12:27 PM

Quote:

you can still buy pinchweld primer and buytl tape kits from anybody that sells 3m (NAPA for 1)

3M discontinued the butyl pinchweld primer (the urethane pinchweld primer is not the same stuff, and 3M at least say not to use it for butyl tape)
Posted By: 74RALLYE

Re: 74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/22/13 12:22 AM

Come on now, Tell the man how to put it in his self.

BTW, I have a new windshield waiting for my 74 Rallye Charger.
I have a $14 windshield removal kit from Harbor Freight, a new windshield, but no urethane yet. Any Do-It-Yourself advice?

Re: 74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/22/13 12:52 AM

I just ended up paying the stinkin $200!
The urethane stuff sets up to fast for me to mess with.
Posted By: PLMCRZY

Re: 74 B body windshield install any tricks or pitfalls? - 06/24/13 12:27 PM

must of been some quick set urethane. the regular kind takes 24hr to set solid. most mopars need the 5/16 butyl tape to set glass to the correct depth.
© 2024 Moparts Forums