Moparts

door gap and subframe connectors

Posted By: srunge55

door gap and subframe connectors - 12/06/08 02:32 AM

My 69 GTX convertible has a very tight door gap on the passanger side at the quarter panel. When I take the weight off the front end of the car the gap pulls out and is ok (still a little tight but much better). Will subframe connectors welded in with the weight off the front end fix my door gap issue? Any recommendations for subframe connectors?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted By: jbc426

Re: door gap and subframe connectors - 12/06/08 02:53 AM

Be very careful that your unibody is not tweaked before you weld in subframe connectors. US Cartool makes some great ones as do several others. You can even make your own.

Your doors are heavy, and the door hinges might need to be rebuilt, which you will want to do prior to adjusting your doors and/or putting in the sub-frame connectors.

You might even want to download the frame specs to your car and take it to a good frame shop to make sure everything is straight before you essencially freeze it in that position with subframe connectors.

Does the car have any rust, stress cracks or broken spot welds?
Posted By: srunge55

Re: door gap and subframe connectors - 12/06/08 05:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. The car is pretty solid with no major rust or stress cracks. I thought the car might have sagged a bit because its a convertible and no roof to support. I will definately rebuild the hinges first.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: door gap and subframe connectors - 12/06/08 07:17 AM

I'm not sure about using sub frame connectors to fix a door gap issue, but convertibles gotta have them. I've owned a C body convertible and a B body convertible and both felt like putting 4 wheels on a Slinky without connectors. Without subframe connectors, the door gap changing when jacking the car is normal convertible behavior in my experience. I would check the underside of your car for signs of a tweaked or sagging chassis before adding the connectors.
© 2024 Moparts Forums