Moparts

Help! Clutch Free Play Adjustment

Posted By: Beep Beep

Help! Clutch Free Play Adjustment - 06/13/13 11:48 PM

Does anyone know what the correct air gap is on a diaphragm type clutch? I am running a American Powertrain Clutch. What gap should I have between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate fingers?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Help! Clutch Free Play Adjustment - 06/14/13 12:08 AM

.060" gap is what is usually used in lieu of the factory giving you a number. As for the throwout bearing, never heard of a number there, just as long as it doesn't ride on the fingers.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Help! Clutch Free Play Adjustment - 06/14/13 12:33 AM

Quote:

.060" gap is what is usually used in lieu of the factory giving you a number. As for the throwout bearing, never heard of a number there, just as long as it doesn't ride on the fingers.

Posted By: Beep Beep

Re: Help! Clutch Free Play Adjustment - 06/14/13 04:47 AM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Help! Clutch Free Play Adjustment - 06/17/13 06:10 AM

I'm surprised it calls for a gap.

Most anything built in the last 20 years has a slight preload.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Help! Clutch Free Play Adjustment - 06/17/13 08:23 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know what the correct air gap is on a diaphragm type clutch? I am running a American Powertrain Clutch. What gap should I have between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate fingers?

You may need to install a clutch stop bumper to keep from over centering the diaphram pressure plate espcially at high RPM , I like to have at least .060 air gap between the disc and the plate or flywheel and the same on the throwout bearing to the fingers on the pressure plate Absolutely no contact on the bearing to the fingers with the clutch peddle all the way out If it touches it will wear the bearing and maybe the fingers out real quickly
© 2024 Moparts Forums