Moparts

Need quieter air cleaner

Posted By: MileHighDart

Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 05:43 PM

So rignt now i'm just running an open element edelbrock air cleaner.
Getting tired of the constant air intake noise, all that air being sucked into the carb.. and the Waaaaaaaaaa sound when I open it up.

This is what I'm running now.

Attached picture 7741675-openaircleaner.jpg

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 05:44 PM

Would this 68-69 type air cleaner be any quieter ?

Attached picture 7741676-68aircleaner.jpg

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 05:46 PM

Or do I have to go all the way to this type air cleaner to quiet the intake noise ?

Attached picture 7741680-closedtype.jpg
Posted By: roe

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 05:48 PM

Quote:

So rignt now i'm just running an open element edelbrock air cleaner.
Getting tired of the constant air intake noise, all that air being sucked into the carb.. and the Waaaaaaaaaa sound when I open it up.

This is what I'm running now.

There are many others with more knowledge than me, but my guess would be yes, it will be quieter. But I would think it will also restrict your air flow, costing you power and mpg

roe
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 06:25 PM

Quote:

Would this 68-69 type air cleaner be any quieter ?

The unsilenced 68-69 air cleaner will be a little quieter, but Id pass on that orange tennis racket!

Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 06:39 PM

Do you have a hood pad and/or a rear hood to cowl seal?

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 07:08 PM

Quote:

Ummmm,, No and No

Well actually I have a hood pad but haven't installed it, and have the old cowl seal but didnt intall it after the paint job, figured i'd get a new one.
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 07:10 PM

how about a late model 4bbl aircleaner, with the fresh air duct. not sure where you'd route it, though. that will quiet it down a lot even if you leave the snout open to the engine bay

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ummmm,, No and No

Well actually I have a hood pad but haven't installed it, and have the old cowl seal but didnt intall it after the paint job, figured i'd get a new one.

Put those on first.

Then make a decision on the air cleaner.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 07:25 PM

Quote:

I got old!! Years ago I reinstalled a new hood pad and cowl seal. Made my car sound way better at a intersection at a light, much quieter.

Then I went back to the stock style "tennis racket" air cleaner. lol It also makes my car much quieter and flows plenty of air as I have driven the car hard for like miles at a time out at the Bonneville salt flats for like 5 miles at a time. It never ran out of fuel or air out there on a very hot day.

Another thing my stock air cleaner does is limit the amount of evaporation out out of my edlebrock carb. Open air cleaners allow much more evaporation from my experience and take longer to get fuel into the carb.

My dorky motor...lol.

\
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 09:34 PM

I'd look into one of the stock 340 air cleaners, no snorkels but I think they're baffled?

Robert
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 09:40 PM

I think a stock snorkle aircleanerhousing with a K&N airfilter will flow the same/better, at a slightly cooler area, than that restrictive paper-airfilter sucking up all that underhood hot air rightabove that engine.

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 09:46 PM

Would you run fresh air ducting off the snorkel or leave it open to the engine bay?

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 10:01 PM

If possible, fresh/cooler air to the snorkel would be even better.

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 10:08 PM

Hmmm, were there ever any factory setups with ducting? I've seen some over the counter stuff at Autozone with a dual snorkel and ducting. Its chrome, maybe edelbrock... I have an open filament just like the OP

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 10:15 PM

What ever I go with, i'll probably keep the crome Edelbrock to put on at shows, and use the quieter air cleaner for everyday cruising.
Probably dont want to run any ducting, so if I use single or dual snorkle type the skorkel will be open to the engine bay.
Going with the factory 340 air cleaner with no snorkels it not an option, too expensive.
Not worried about correctness, or the look so much, just want it quieter for cruising with the wife.

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 10:32 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, were there ever any factory setups with ducting? I've seen some over the counter stuff at Autozone with a dual snorkel and ducting. Its chrome, maybe edelbrock... I have an open filament just like the OP

sure. started around the time of leanburn. single snorkel (no air doors on the base) with a fabric type duct to a fresh air vent on the inner fender. you see them all over F/M/J bodies. 2bbl and 4 bbl. thermoquad version MAY fit AFB/AVS but I am not certain

It's round, as is the end of the air cleaner snorkel/snout. I can't recall if they were formed that way, of there was an adapter that fit into the standard rectangle. but really, I would just walk through a pick-a-part, there might be one laying in a trunk.

even if you don't hook up the duct, at least it's sealed except for the snorkel. good starting point - and cheap (although I guess you'd need to put a piece of flashing over the leanburn hole if it's one of those)

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 10:33 PM

Quote:

...just want it quieter for cruising with the wife.

You do understand that you then have to listen to everything she says right?
And, even answer her every question/remark/nag during that entire trip...!?
There might even be a chance you actually have to have an actual 'conversation' with her.
And don't even think you can get away with an occassional "Uh huh"-reply. You're toast if she catches you doing that.

I think I'd rather listen to that open airfilter roar for some 2-3 hours myself...

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 10:36 PM

even if you are not listening, you have to make it look like you are

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 10:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There might even be a chance you actually have to have an actual 'conversation' with her.
And don't even think you can get away with an occassional "Uh huh"-reply. You're toast if she catches you doing that.

I think I'd rather listen to that open airfilter roar for some 2-3 hours myself...

Posted By: 440newport

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 11:07 PM

Quote:

Man I never get tired of that. If I could get away with running no air cleaner at all I would.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/13/13 11:41 PM

look at a lil red express truck. there's a plan for fresh air ducting.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 12:04 AM

Quote:

I think a stock snorkle aircleanerhousing with a K&N airfilter will flow the same/better, at a slightly cooler area, than that restrictive paper-airfilter sucking up all that underhood hot air rightabove that engine.

You do realize that independent testing shows that K&N doesn't necessarily flow best and it is no where near the best at keeping dirt out of your engine.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 02:20 AM

Brand X...

But you get the idea...

Attached picture 7742225-airbonnet.JPG

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 02:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK, you caught me, I was trying to blame it on the wife. But its mostly me. Just getting old I guess, don't like riding in loud cars as much as I used too...lol
And I'm assuming most of the time I'm out in the car, I'll be alone. But it would be nice to hear the radio.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 02:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Man I never get tired of that. If I could get away with running no air cleaner at all I would.

Man, I hear 'ya! I'm the first guy to bash on Thermoquads, but the TQ on my 71 Demon 340 sounds totally awesome at wide open throttle. Sounds even better than the 6 pack on the Road Runner.

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 03:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ummmm,, No and No

Does it ever smell a little like gas or exhaust fumes inside the car? The rear cowl seal will help prevent that.

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 03:18 AM

Are those seals, hood to rad support, rear cowl, and under hood padding repro'd?

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 03:30 AM

Quote:

Are those seals, hood to rad support, rear cowl, and under hood padding repro'd?

They are for 68 Darts.

I would think 71/72 Road runner would be the same for your car.

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 05:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ummmm,, No and No

Does it ever smell a little like gas or exhaust fumes inside the car? The rear cowl seal will help prevent that.

Sometimes, but much better since I got the new trunk seal installed. Was getting exhaust fumes comming in from the back.
But I get your point, I'll get those hood/cowl/rad support seals installed

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 06:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ummmm,, No and No

Sometimes, but much better since I got the new trunk seal installed. Was getting exhaust fumes comming in from the back.
But I get your point, I'll get those hood/cowl/rad support seals installed

A radiator hood seal will help with engine cooling.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 12:05 PM

Quote:

What ever I go with, i'll probably keep the crome Edelbrock to put on at shows, and use the quieter air cleaner for everyday cruising.
Probably dont want to run any ducting,

The 1994-1995 full size vans
with Magnum 5.2/5.9 V8s
had round air cleaners
with sound cancelling design ( Helmholtz)
that would probably be quiet,
and can be run with or without the ducting.

The airboxes with duct to airhat design intakes
on Dakotas with Magnum v8s
would also be sound cancelling
and you could
"tune" the frequencies cancelled
by changing the length of duct
from airhat over to airbox
(longer = lower tone)
Posted By: VL21

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/14/13 02:52 PM

68-69 style gets my vote ... quiets the constant sucking sound, still get the WAAAH at greater increments of throttle ...

gotta get another one for my TQ, find a base ...
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Need quieter air cleaner - 06/17/13 06:08 AM

What does your car have for an exhaust system.

My loudest cars, on the intake side. Were from cars with manifolds and restrictive single exhaust cars.

Never knew why but after switching to headers and duals, all those cars became quiet on the intake side.
© 2024 Moparts Forums