Moparts

Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy

Posted By: Dan Brewer

Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/05/08 11:45 PM

What have you guys used and how durable? I used a rustoleum floor paint/sealer on older concrete and didnt hold up very well. Even after I used the suggested cleaners several times. This project will be new concrete. This will be a shop that is used, not just a show room for toys.
Thanks
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/06/08 01:39 AM

I've done this many times. With new concrete wait minimun 30 days, 60 is better. Wash floor with concrete etch. Rinse well and let dry 1 week. In colder areas apply heat to roon. Kero heaters will dry it in 2 days.Rusoleum is OK. Home Depot was the same thing. Sherwin Williams is good. Or that name brand that is always advertised in car sites
Posted By: 2cudabuck

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/06/08 01:49 AM

I just did a giant shop with Ucoat it. AWSOME results, tough as nails. follow instructions with the acid bath and stuff. We used the ufleck but not the sodium traction stuff. It's worth the money.
Posted By: teddy1500

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/06/08 02:12 AM

ucoat is very nice, a bit pricey, but holds up fine, a very user friendly product
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/06/08 03:15 AM

UCoat It Do-it Yourself Floor Coatings for a Durable, Protective Finish
Posted By: larry4406

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/06/08 11:10 AM

Go here and you will learn more than you ever cared to about the do's and don'ts of garage floor coverings.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Posted By: ricomondo

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/06/08 02:58 PM

I used the U coat it system, just the plain gray finish with no terazzo flakes. If you use this system, be sure to use the aluminum chloride (IIRC). Its basically a sand like grit that you spread out over the floor, or else when it gets wet...look out, it'll be a skating rink. U can see it under my car in my sig pic.
Posted By: Vert

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 02:46 AM

Quote:

I used the U coat it system, just the plain gray finish with no terazzo flakes. If you use this system, be sure to use the aluminum chloride (IIRC). Its basically a sand like grit that you spread out over the floor, or else when it gets wet...look out, it'll be a skating rink. U can see it under my car in my sig pic.

Ditto on the UCoatit. I used the fleck, but not the grit. Use the grit if you will ever walk on it wet!
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 04:47 AM

I used the Rust O Leam stuff which was much better than I thought it would once. It was prepped properly which made the difference.

In my latest endeavor I used DuPont Corlor, which is Imron. Its about 450 for 700sq, and probably the best stuff you can buy.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 05:27 AM

I used the Rust-O-Leum kit last summer and so far so good. I'm pretty happy with it. I spent the better part of a couple days prepping the floor. As with any finish, the prep work is the most important part. Show me a floor that is peeling up, and I'll show you a guy that most likely didn't properly prep that floor.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 07:12 AM

Used the Rust-o-leum two part epoxy garage floor paint with the colored flexs in it and it had been holding up good for the last three years.
I cleaned the floor pretty good, used super clean on oily spots and scrubbed the entire floor with scotch bright pads (put a pad under each shoe, and scrubbed the floor that way.) I guess I could have rented a floor sander/buffer with a big scotch bright pad on it?
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 02:18 PM

i usesd the rustoleum on the house floor and it is working out great... No problems and has been down a year now.. I went with Hospital grade tile for the shop though and love it...

Posted By: Devil

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 06:23 PM

I sell at work floor tiles and epoxy flooring. Check us out. If you call me, I can probably knock a few % off the price.

www.carguygarage.com

Ryan
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 08:40 PM

I've had 7 homes and tried different materials on every one of them. U-coat was out of my price range for the size of my shop so I just used a sealer on the concrete. UC301 on fresh concrete as soon as the puddles are gone !!!

The stuff is great and doesn't chip BUT its not impervious to gas or strong thinners. Its also clear so doesn't add any "pretty" to the shop.

If I were doing it again I'd do 2 things different ...

1) I would have them put a hardener in the concrete - this is done after its poured and has set a bit. You can drop and engine block on it and it wouldn't chip!
2) I'd just seal it with Thompson's water seal - for the sole purpose of keeping the dust down and so liquids don't soak in.

Anything else and you spend more time keeping it pretty than working on your stuff!
Posted By: Mark340A66

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 08:52 PM

My "new" house has a 22' x 22' garage built in 99. I went with the Rusoleum 2 part epoxy (with flecks). 2 kits for $65 each. I had a few cracks to fill. So far (6 months, just getting real cold), its great, I use paper under jackstands, but nothing under my floorjack. Pretty easy to keep clean (no raod salt). Looks great.
Posted By: 1962Savoy

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 08:58 PM

if you want the expensive stuff try Race Deck flooring it runs about $6.00 bux a square foot but you can take it with you when you move.
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/12/08 09:10 PM

Quote:

I've had 7 homes and tried different materials on every one of them. U-coat was out of my price range for the size of my shop so I just used a sealer on the concrete. UC301 on fresh concrete as soon as the puddles are gone !!!

The stuff is great and doesn't chip BUT its not impervious to gas or strong thinners. Its also clear so doesn't add any "pretty" to the shop.

If I were doing it again I'd do 2 things different ...

1) I would have them put a hardener in the concrete - this is done after its poured and has set a bit. You can drop and engine block on it and it wouldn't chip!
2) I'd just seal it with Thompson's water seal - for the sole purpose of keeping the dust down and so liquids don't soak in.

Anything else and you spend more time keeping it pretty than working on your stuff!

I like this keep it simple approach
Posted By: cantspel

Re: Garage / Shop concrete Paint / Epoxy - 12/13/08 12:39 AM

I used the rust-oleum on new concrete in my garage. I do a fair amount of side work and have a lift, so my floor gets used. It has stuck very well, (been 3 years) not peeling anywhere, again I think that is proper prep. BUT, It will not take brake or carb cleaner. Coolant, oil, brake fluid, all mop up. But don't think about hosing off an oil leak with brake or carb cleaner, it will eat the paint....quickly. Don't even spray it on a rag and wipe up a spot, you will get paint. The rust-oleum is not what I would call professional grade. But has held up well otherwise. You can roll cranes, jacks and other heavy items that you might think would be an issue with the paint. No matter what you put down, its time consuming and after shop is setup, is a pain to do again, so I would spend the extra $ to get something commercial grade, and ask specifically about the chemicals you plan to use and there compatiability.
© 2024 Moparts Forums