Moparts

removing water spots from primer

Posted By: 63stabamatic

removing water spots from primer - 06/05/13 12:21 AM

I have been very careful to wash my primered car in the shade but I screwed up and blasted some water on the hood in the sun while washing the front end. It waterspotted and nothing I've tried takes it out. It has two coats of black primer, I do like the look and I was eventually going to flat clear coat it. Short of repainting anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Jim
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: removing water spots from primer - 06/05/13 12:23 AM

Nope.
Posted By: mopowers

Re: removing water spots from primer - 06/05/13 12:33 AM

How bout wet sanding? (in the shade)
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: removing water spots from primer - 06/05/13 01:01 AM

Probally the impurities in the water thats done it. Most primers are not sealers and will absorbe water. Most likely your going to have to sand and reshoot it. Top coat it with flat black paint..
Posted By: Silver70

Re: removing water spots from primer - 06/05/13 01:42 AM

Did you try washing it off with water?
Posted By: Jim_S

Re: removing water spots from primer - 06/05/13 03:50 AM

vinegar and distilled water mixed 50/50 might neutralize the spots so they look like they are gone but, I would not trust putting any topcoat paint or clear over it.
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: removing water spots from primer - 06/05/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Did you try washing it off with water?

Yes, tried watering again mutipul times, (in the shade), all kinds of cleaners/waxes, vinegar even the new "Ratwax" that is supposed to take out water spots, straight primer is too porous a surface. Might give some of the newer dishwasher stuff that gets rid of spots on glass. Thanks for all the suggestions.
© 2024 Moparts Forums