Moparts

833 tailshaft bearing?

Posted By: Z_Z

833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/04/13 06:04 AM

I'm in the process taking my four speed apart, and need to remove the tailshaft bearing. What is the method or best way to go about doing this?
Thanks,
Zak
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/04/13 06:40 AM

Do you mean the bushing right in front of the rear seal???
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/04/13 10:54 AM

I believe its K&D that make the tools to R&R the bushing. You can always take the tail houseing to a tranny shop. It doesnt take long to do it.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/04/13 12:16 PM

when I rebuilt mine a few years ago, I took it to a tranny shop. they did it for free. I watched the guy do it, that bushing was really in there.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/04/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

I'm in the process taking my four speed apart, and need to remove the tailshaft bearing. What is the method or best way to go about doing this?
Thanks,
Zak

Remove the snap ring on the shaft and then use a brass drift to knock it off the shaft

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/04/13 06:19 PM

Alright cool I'll try that Cab, sounds good...amazing what I found after I thought I was just putting in new gaskets...lol thanks guys!
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/04/13 06:32 PM

Before I had a press and a bearing splitter, I used to remove the snap ring and use a block of wood on the garage floor to protect the splined are of the tailshaft and let the main shaft assembly drop on to the wood a few times. The weight of the first gear and synchro assembly would pop the bearing off quite easily. Be sure to use heavy leather gloves or you WILL pinch your skin when the bearing does let go! No me gusta...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/04/13 08:49 PM

Quote:

Before I had a press and a bearing splitter, I used to remove the snap ring and use a block of wood on the garage floor to protect the splined are of the tailshaft and let the main shaft assembly drop on to the wood a few times. The weight of the first gear and synchro assembly would pop the bearing off quite easily. Be sure to use heavy leather gloves or you WILL pinch your skin when the bearing does let go! No me gusta...

I have used that method also, I was thinking of the 727 rear tailshaft bearing removal when posting that way The 4 speeds are different in many ways

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/05/13 12:44 AM

Thanks guys! The block of wood trick worked awesome, now hope I can get everything switched over and put back together right...lol

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/05/13 05:01 PM

sorry after rereading I see you said bearing, not bushing.
Posted By: Brian_wo

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/05/13 05:46 PM

Hope we didnt keep you from it to long lastnight,get it back together?

Let me know if you want me to low ball that guy on the other tranny to get an idea of what he will do.

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/05/13 06:16 PM

Not at all Brian,I was at a stopping point, just hope it works. .65 that's the next thing I gotta do, hope" I can put in press somehow..Thanks!

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/06/13 05:29 PM

Quote:

65 that's the next thing I gotta do, hope" I can put in press somehow..Thanks!

the shop that did it for me had all these different size collars that fit on a slide hammer. it was a matter of finding the right size, dropping it down inside, screwing it into the slide hammer and pounding it out. good luck.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/06/13 06:13 PM

Heat the bearing in your oven and it will practically drop back on with a little help using a brass drift. If you can put the assembled main shaft in your fridge or freezer, it will drop in place with a warmed bearing with no tools at all.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 833 tailshaft bearing? - 06/06/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Heat the bearing in your oven and it will practically drop back on with a little help using a brass drift. If you can put the assembled main shaft in your fridge or freezer, it will drop in place with a warmed bearing with no tools at all.

Set the oven at 250 and braze slowly ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums