Moparts

TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD??

Posted By: joflaig

TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/05/08 12:41 AM

I'm trying to determine if I need to mod my TTI x-pipe exhaust if I have the Gear Vendors over drive (Part #3DFS727A) installed on my 727. Anyone gone through this?

Here's what GV said:

"From the center of your yoke, measure down 4.25 inches from the centerline, this is where our oil sump sits."

I know I have to have the tunnel bumped out a bit, but the exhaust mods, if needed, might be time consuming and I can't picture them. Obviously, the loop will have to go.

Attached picture 4857881-1sdsadsadsadsad.jpg

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD Unit - 12/05/08 12:41 AM

another pic

Attached picture 4857883-ssadsadsadsadad.jpg
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/05/08 01:53 AM

Call them I think they have a display with a Gear Vendors overdrive and their exhaust system. I just don't remember if it was a 'X' or not.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/05/08 02:59 AM

I like the foam wrapping on the top of your loop. The TTI website has some info about this. I believe they said it won't work with the 3" x-pipe.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/05/08 03:24 AM

Just looking at it, I don't think it's gonna fit. I put my GV in my Challenger that had an X pipe on it, and the X pipe had to go. Mine wasn't a TTI pipe, but it was in almost the same spot as yours. I hated to do it, but I had to mine off, and take it to the exhaust shop when I got the GV in. I didn't like the way the X pipe looked when we mocked it up behind the tailshaft/yoke on the GV, so I just said the heck with it. It's not a super high HP car anyways, but I do miss the sound
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/06/08 12:56 AM

Sorry but your loop and the X pipe will have to go...It's crossing right where the unit will be placed...I had the normal TTI H pipe and ended up replacing it with the new TTI H pipe for the GV unit...I snagged one of the first units they made and it fit around the GV unit perfectly..

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/06/08 03:51 PM

Quote:

Sorry but your loop and the X pipe will have to go...It's crossing right where the unit will be placed...I had the normal TTI H pipe and ended up replacing it with the new TTI H pipe for the GV unit...I snagged on of the first units they made and it fit around the GV unit perfectly..

Yeah, I see TTI is now offering an H-pipe to work with the GV unit. What does the h-pipe sound like compared to the x-pipe? I had understood the x-pipe was better for performance. Is there any way modify the x-pipe to make it work?

Thanks!
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/06/08 04:51 PM

The H pipe is a little louder than the X pipe... I first tried to modify the original H pipe on the car but it hung down too low... It got the car to the local exhaust shop where they bent{non-mandrel} new pipes for me and I added the cross tube myself but I felt a drop in power right away across the board when leaving the shop...I actually called TTI and they said they were working on the GV piece so I waited...It's amazing the difference on a good mandrel bent system... ..You could try to modify the X pipe if you snagged a few mandrel bends and some pipe but it's tricky with the angles of the headers in relationship to the cross tubes... If you go that route make sure you let us know how you made out...

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/06/08 06:01 PM

Quote:

The H pipe is a little louder than the X pipe... I first tried to modify the original H pipe on the car but it hung down too low... It got the car to the local exhaust shop where they bent{non-mandrel} new pipes for me and I added the cross tube myself but I felt a drop in power right away across the board when leaving the shop...I actually called TTI and they said they were working on the GV piece so I waited...It's amazing the difference on a good mandrel bent system... ..You could try to modify the X pipe if you snagged a few mandrel bends and some pipe but it's tricky with the angles of the headers in relationship to the cross tubes... If you go that route make sure you let us know how you made out...

Sounds like I'll call TTI.
Posted By: 500Stroker

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/07/08 12:29 AM

I had to ditch my TTI H pipe when I installed the GV. Added a summit H kit further back. This pic will give you an idea how long the trans GV combo is. You not only add the GV you also replace the tailshaft with a much longer adapter shaft that the guy in the middle has a hand on.

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/07/08 12:56 AM

Quote:

I had to ditch my TTI H pipe when I installed the GV. Added a summit H kit further back. This pic will give you an idea how long the trans GV combo is. You not only add the GV you also replace the tailshaft with a much longer adapter shaft that the guy in the middle has a hand on.

Geez, I see what you mean. At least TTI makes a H-pipe now to work with the GV unit. I'm just not sure about the sound and performance changes.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/07/08 08:45 PM

Not to hijack but . . . Even with the exhaust issues aside, how do you guys like your gear vendors? Any vibration issues? Would you do it again, or go 5 speed?

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/08/08 12:02 AM

I wonder on a b body where you put the drive shaft safty loop on with the GV ID unit installed?

If the driveshaft is a 1 foot shorter, there would ne cross member to use, so I guess it could be bolted or welded to the floor pan itself, right? What are the regs?
Posted By: Vert

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/12/08 02:31 AM

Quote:

I like the foam wrapping on the top of your loop. The TTI website has some info about this. I believe they said it won't work with the 3" x-pipe.

I don't know about the GV unit. But I can't fit the USCT loop with a 3in TTi X-pipe. Its tight!
Posted By: 500Stroker

Re: TTI x-pipe exhaust compatible with Gear Vendors OD?? - 12/12/08 04:42 AM

Quote:

Not to hijack but . . . Even with the exhaust issues aside, how do you guys like your gear vendors? Any vibration issues? Would you do it again, or go 5 speed?

Best improvement I ever made to the car. 35K trouble free miles so far. No vibrations or problems.

© 2024 Moparts Forums