Moparts

What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with?

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 06/01/13 03:17 PM

I'm getting ready to paint and mount the Rallye wheels on my 70 bee. Which paint did you use for your rims and center caps? My rear rims are sprayed with MP argent but they appear too light and the finish is flat/dull. I remember Rallye wheels being a glossy, medium Argent silver. Am I right? The fronts I bought from Wheel Vintiques and they are powder coated and look real nice but there's no way I can match the rears by getting them powder coated locally. The center caps from WV are nice but totally Incorrect color. Muddy grey with no argent look. I want the 1970 light argent look.

Help a brother out.
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 06/01/13 06:02 PM

Parts stores sell a"wheel paint" that looks pretty good/close for a driver,(maybe not for what you want).
Hate to admit, but I regularly use rustoleum aluminum with a rattle can clear.
Please don't hate me for this...

Regards, Bear
Posted By: ireland383

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 06/02/13 07:03 PM

Mopar Performance Wheel Paint P4529876 from Summit racing. This is what I used and is correct. Looks great.

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 06/03/13 03:36 PM

Wow! What the stink happened to my post??? There were tons of replies here with good info. Mods???
Posted By: superwrench

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 06/03/13 04:34 PM

Quote:

Mopar Performance Wheel Paint P4529876 from Summit racing. This is what I used and is correct. Looks great.

I did a set with MP paint as well.....turned out great.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 06/03/13 05:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and I used Dupli-Color Textured Metallic Coating for the center caps

Attached picture 7729512-GEDC0364compressed.JPG

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 06/04/13 01:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and I used Dupli-Color Textured Metallic Coating for the center caps

I mentioned the Dupli-color paint earlier (got axed for some reason). That wheel looks real nice. I didn't say earlier but I don't need accurate. Just close. That MP paint definitely looks good.
Posted By: Jerrari

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/04/17 06:27 PM

Roadhazard, what shade of the Dupli-Color Textured Metallic Coating for the center caps did you use? Silver or Charcoal? Thanks!
Posted By: Neil

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/04/17 09:52 PM

Krylon dull aluminum for the wheels. No clearcoat.

The powdercoat and/or epoxy paint color on aftermarket rallye wheels is too dark and shiny at the same time. I can spot those a mile away.

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/04/17 11:27 PM

Sorry, I was referring to the center caps w/ that rough silverish finish. I have been to no less than 6 auto parts stores, hardware stores and Hobby Lobby looking for a paint to work on the center caps. I assume Amazon at this point but I want to make sure that I get the right color. I also can't find anywhere that sells the Krylon Fusion Textured Shimmer #2521 or 2522. I fear it may have been discontinued.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/05/17 01:21 AM

An older post on Argent https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2091795
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/05/17 05:18 AM

Krylon 1401 bright silver,20 yrs old and as close to original that I've found.

Attached picture Picture 239.jpg
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/05/17 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By Jerrari
I also can't find anywhere that sells the Krylon Fusion Textured Shimmer #2521 or 2522. I fear it may have been discontinued.

Google is your friend. Just type Krylon 2521. 3 or 4 places selling it online... thumbs

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/05/17 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By 318 Stroker
I also can't find anywhere that sells the Krylon Fusion Textured Shimmer #2521 or 2522. I fear it may have been discontinued.

Google is your friend. Just type Krylon 2521. 3 or 4 places selling it online... thumbs

Here is the page right off of Krylon's site. They only make the nickle shimmer #2338 now. If you can find it on a Google search please enlighten me because every link that "says" they have it diverts you to a different color, not the 2521.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic-metallic-shimmer/

Message that I just got from Krylon customer support:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Krylon. We appreciate your inquiry.

Unfortunately that particular product has been discontinued. I apologize for an inconvenience, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Lynn

Krylon Product Support

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/05/17 11:11 PM

So I went and picked up a can of the Dupli-Color Textured Metallic "Silver" and did the center caps w/ it. These caps were pitted and really ugly. I taped the outer edge w/ duct tape and then sand blasted them. I got any of the chrome that was bubbling out to now be in and then I put a 5 minute coat of Bondo putty on them to fill the pits. I had to paint over the plated ring around the new center caps as the chrome was peeling, but this beats spending almost $200 on re-pops.

Attached picture rsz_20171205_154407.jpg

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/13/17 02:37 AM

I was the OP on this old post. You got the deal done. That textured argent from duplicator has very nice metallic in it and it has a coarse finish. For anyone else digging up this post in the future, here is the code for the paint and some results. In addition, I will add that the paint I used for my rims was UPOL wheel paint. It goes on dull. I followed up with UPOL clear. It's lacquer based and flows like butter. I think they came out excellent.

Posted By: 340swing

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/13/17 03:48 AM

I like totally auto paints for center caps.Kinda expensive but looks great.
Posted By: tech54K

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/14/17 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By 318 Stroker

Here is the page right off of Krylon's site. They only make the nickle shimmer #2338 now. If you can find it on a Google search please enlighten me because every link that "says" they have it diverts you to a different color, not the 2521.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic-metallic-shimmer/

Message that I just got from Krylon customer support:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Krylon. We appreciate your inquiry.

Unfortunately that particular product has been discontinued. I apologize for an inconvenience, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Lynn

Krylon Product Support

Maybe you can find the product here
Posted By: fuelishnsilly

Re: What did you paint your Rally wheels and caps with? - 12/18/17 02:40 AM

I got my stuff from Totally Auto.
© 2024 Moparts Forums