Moparts

7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block?

Posted By: Anonymous

7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/03/08 06:50 PM

I only want to buy a pan once, is the 8 quart really needed. This is a 10.5 to 1 engine, 451, driver and maybe a little 1/4 mile, engine has seen 7000 rpm in the past. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Tim
Posted By: DAMOPARS

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/03/08 09:17 PM

I have a 7 qt on my 451 like yours, I should have got a windage tray too, That is going in this winter. Do both at the same time.

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/04/08 02:11 PM

I have heard mixed reviews on putting a windage tray on as far as horsepower. Is it worth the extra $?
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/04/08 07:49 PM

If you're planning on getting a Mildon pan, be prepared to wait. I've got on on order, was originally told 4-6 weeks, it has now been delayed twice and will end up about a 2.5 month wait -- if it shows up next Monday (and I'm not holding my breath).

I don't know if this is typical for them, but regardless, my only experience with them has earned them an F- in my book.
Posted By: frank

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/04/08 11:50 PM

Quote:

I have heard mixed reviews on putting a windage tray on as far as horsepower. Is it worth the extra $?

According to the old Mopar Performance engine bulletins it is worth extra HP at higher RPM's. I don't remember how much.
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/04/08 11:54 PM

I bought one here got it in 2 days

http://dieselgalaxy.com/product.php?productid=74673
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/05/08 04:18 AM

A 7 quart pan should be just fine. Check out the Milodon road race pan #31580, it holds 7qts but doesn't hang as low as the drag pans. http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/road-race-oil-pans.asp
Posted By: 383man

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/05/08 06:09 AM

I use this Moroso 8 qt pan. I drive it on the street all the time and the pan has plenty of road clearence. Ron

Posted By: nike_hockey85

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/05/08 06:39 AM

Quote:

If you're planning on getting a Mildon pan, be prepared to wait. I've got on on order, was originally told 4-6 weeks, it has now been delayed twice and will end up about a 2.5 month wait -- if it shows up next Monday (and I'm not holding my breath).

I don't know if this is typical for them, but regardless, my only experience with them has earned them an F- in my book.

Haha yeah I just ordered a one of the same oil pans and went with a 7 qrt and waited for a month or so. I go the windage tray and pickup as well. Not sure on how its going to fit as I just got it last week and the motor is being built next weel!

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/05/08 06:40 AM

haha week sorry!
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/05/08 01:02 PM

Quote:

A 7 quart pan should be just fine. Check out the Milodon road race pan #31580, it holds 7qts but doesn't hang as low as the drag pans. http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/road-race-oil-pans.asp

That's the same pan I'm waiting on! Looks like a great design, but of course I've yet to lay my hands on it...
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/05/08 01:41 PM

Personally,if you are doing only a limited amount of racing I would use the Mopar Perf replacement Hemi / 6pk pan,you will have all the oil you need and still looks stock.Here is an original Max Wedge pan,they were not run on the street.Guess how much it holds.

Attached picture 4858732-MVC-201S.jpg

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/05/08 06:58 PM

The pan I was looking at was from 440Source, 7 quart and $80. Anybody use that pan?
Posted By: MoparMe70

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/05/08 09:40 PM

I second www.diselgalaxy.com
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 12:40 AM

Quote:

Personally,if you are doing only a limited amount of racing I would use the Mopar Perf replacement Hemi / 6pk pan,you will have all the oil you need and still looks stock.Here is an original Max Wedge pan,they were not run on the street.Guess how much it holds.

Bill, I'll guess 7... ..Looks like an extra quart over the hemi pan...
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bill, I'll guess 7... ..Looks like an extra quart over the hemi pan...

Try 6gt,7 with filter.

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 07:51 AM

Ok well I just went to go drop off some parts for my 440 thats getting built and we opened the miloden box to look at the new 7 qrt oil pan, windage tray and pickup. But they must have a different style oil dipstick tube as its threaded into the oil pan it looks like. I dont have the old stock oil pan but the dipstick I got is just a push in type not threaded. anyone run into this problem and if so know where to get the right dipstick!?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 03:17 PM

Sounds like either you got a truck pan, or the piece got goofed up.

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 05:54 PM

oh... are the truck pans different from the car ones or somthing? I beleive it probably is a truck pan, its rear sump. But didnt know there was different dipstick tubes.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 06:21 PM

Quote:

The pan I was looking at was from 440Source, 7 quart and $80. Anybody use that pan?

Im running the Source pan in my 67 383 Satellite. I run it with a MP windage tray. It hangs pretty low, but I've never had a problem. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the more expensive pans are made of thicker guage steel (???), other than that, I don't see the need to spend a bunch of extra money on an oil pan. I think you're just paying for all the advertising and stickers that Milodon puts out.
Posted By: beepsalot

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 07:53 PM

rear sump with dipstick tube is BB truck. i used the 6 quart hemi/6bbl pan on mine, and have no issues. according to the old mopar perf book, the windage tray is worth 15 hp at 5500rpm. worth it for the price? yes, but open the slots in the tray for better oil drainback.

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 07:58 PM

Ok so I got a truck oil pan, is there any certain dipstick I need, and whats the deal why is it threaded? Do some 440s have dipsticks that go in the block and some through the oil pan? Is there a specail fitting that goes into the pan and that you can fit the dipstick tube into. Or what? Im sooo confused of what I need! Pics anyone?
Posted By: RussW

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 08:09 PM

Milodon - No Thanks
Posted By: Blue66Charger

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 08:12 PM

Truck would not work on my 440;pickup for Charger
Posted By: beepsalot

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/06/08 08:30 PM

can not use a truck pan on a car, it will hit the centerlink. the dipstick has always gone thru ther block, you can get stick and tube from either a vendor here, or from ma mopar. new one are a really tight fit into the block, i've had to file a few down in my lifetime to get them to fit properly.

Re: 7 or 8 quart oil pan for my Big Block? - 12/08/08 04:16 PM

I am going to try the $80 pan.
Thanks for the input.
Tim
© 2024 Moparts Forums