Moparts

Oops!! Broken Exhaust Stud

Posted By: mopowers

Oops!! Broken Exhaust Stud - 05/18/13 04:33 AM

Is welding a nut to this my only option for trying to take this broken stud out without yanking the head?? Do you guys have any other tricks? This is the third cylinder back on the drivers side, so an EZ-out or anything else requiring a drill probably won't work, for space issues.

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 04:35 AM

Rent a 90 degree (right angle) drill attachment
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 04:42 AM

Quote:

Rent a 90 degree (right angle) drill attachment

And start soaking that with PBS blaster, (candle wax would be better if you blast it with a propane torch.)
Then drill a small hole as concentric as possible.

Some of this isn't easy. Use good sharp cutting tools, and proceed carefully.
Posted By: 68GTS383

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 05:16 AM

If you can get to it use a left handed drill bit to drill a hole into the broken stud. While drilling the LH drill bit will grab and back the broken stud out of the hole.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 05:23 AM

Bolt the manifold back on, use it to guide the drill & keep it straight.. If you have access to a lathe I like to make a drill guide bushing, take round stock slightly to large to fit the bolt hole in your manifold & bore a 1/8" hole through the center of it, then turn the outside to just fit the bolt hole... Now you have a guide that will center the drill & keep it straight....

BTW you bolt is borderline to deep in the head for the weld a nut trick...
Posted By: ek3

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 05:41 AM

use a heavy washer first, then a nut welded on to the washer...turn it out while it is still very hot .it is a little deep but I have done them deeper. weld it from the center out to put heat on the bolt filling the nut with "weld " will add heat to the broken stud making it easy to remove . ... I have also had to deal with broken drill bits , not fun....

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 06:28 AM

Will a MIG weld stick to and/or mess up the cast iron? These are X heads that I planned on replacing with RHS heads this winter. I'm thinking I may make the swap sooner than that if I can't get this stud out on the car.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep them coming! I don't have access to a lather, but I like the idea of using the manifold as a guide. Just wish I had more room since I don't have a right angle drill... For now, I'm gonna let the steam dissipate from my head/ears for the next couple days..
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 10:42 AM

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=right+angle+drill
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 12:53 PM

why have studs in those holes anyways?

stock it would have a bolt with a stud on each end.

those are a blind hole with water behind it so dont drill to deep.

I have trashed more heads for broken bolts/studs by hand drilling them. but I have bad luck at everything I try to fix.

good luck
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 01:00 PM

My choice would be to weld the nut on. I hate drilling and the heat from the welding helps loosen it up.
More stuff gets screwed up trying to drill.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 01:24 PM

I think your best bet is to remove the head and do it.

Also it would be a good time to use the correct head bolts and get rid of those washers. They will compress ever so slightly allow the head to come loose and you will blow a head gasket.

Only use hardened. beveled washers on aluminum heads never cast iron, imo.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 03:29 PM

Thanks so much for the input guys! After sleeping on it and looking at my tools, it turns out that I have an angle die grinder. I should be able to use that, right?. I think I'll give welding a nut a try first though. Or will that only do more damage?

After I shoot some mig wire at it, should I use a propane or mapp torch around the surrounding area to expand it?

What penetrating oil do you guys recommend?I figure I need to start soaking it now.

I realize the head bolds and washers aren't ideal, but it's the way I bought it and like I said, I intend to swap some RHS's on this winter. I just want to drive this thing until then. I'll replace the bolts then.
Posted By: magnumcharger

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 03:31 PM

Quote:

use a heavy washer first, then a nut welded on to the washer...turn it out while it is still very hot .it is a little deep but I have done them deeper. weld it from the center out to put heat on the bolt filling the nut with "weld " will add heat to the broken stud making it easy to remove . ... I have also had to deal with broken drill bits , not fun....

Attached picture 7710152-070ca.jpg

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 03:36 PM

A little heat will certainly help. Just make sure you have patience & take your time. Don't try to remove it in one shot get it moving back and forth 1st.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 03:40 PM

Get it good and hot and melt a bit of candle wax on it. A birthday candle touched onto the.hot broken stud would be perfect. The wax will migrate into the threads.

I don't see how welding anything onto the stud is an option, given its depth, but I not a great welder so maybe it's just me.

Using a guide to ensure concentricity with a drill is a great idea. Then use an easy out, or left handed drill.

Worst case, if you [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] up the threads, just install a timesert (threaded insert, like a heli coil but better). I did that on the very same problem years ago.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 03:50 PM

Don't drill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Put a washer over the area of the broken stud. Make sure the hole in the washer is centered over the broken stud. Using a MIG welder, weld in the hole directing your arc at the broken stud.
The stud can be broken off below the surface - it doesn't matter! After the washer is welded to the stud, weld a nut to the washer...the same way. Look at my pictures above!!!
Here's the proof that it works great!!

Attached picture 7710166-079.JPG

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Put a washer over the area of the broken stud. Make sure the hole in the washer is centered over the broken stud. Using a MIG welder, weld in the hole directing your arc at the broken stud.
The stud can be broken off below the surface - it doesn't matter! After the washer is welded to the stud, weld a nut to the washer...the same way. Look at my pictures above!!!

Won't the hole just fill with weld, and make a bigger problem? Or does the weld not stick to the iron???
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 04:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Won't the hole just fill with weld, and make a bigger problem? Or does the weld not stick to the iron???

Most weld fillers won't stick to cast iron.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 04:32 PM

So, if I try welding first, it won't mess up the hole that is exposed on the cylinder head? Would I still be able to try an EZ-out if welding doesn't work?
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 04:42 PM

.... TRY the welding but I have never heard of that working well. I say GRIND the exposed stud flush or with a slight cup ....center a drill(1/8" or so) and drill it out ...then progressively go larger to the largest size that a GOOD square EZ out will fit ... then back it out slowly.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 05:26 PM

What penetrating oil do you guys recommend? Will wax work better? Should I do both??

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 05:32 PM

PB Blaster if you go the oil route.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 05:35 PM

Will one one these run a drill bit? I've got one in my drawer.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 05:52 PM

Die grinders spin 12,000 rpms plus, they don't make torque.. A drill spins 300-1800 rpms & torque is what makes it work... So no the die grinder isn't a good idea.... FWIW the welding a nut method does work great, I've done it a few times & I've done recessed bolts, I think yours is borderline to deep but if your good with a welder & don't have an angle drill I think I'd give that a shot.. If you weld on it getting a drill started straight is gonna be harder for sure... But if it works you'll be saved the PITA of drilling & ez-outting the bolt..

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 07:10 PM

I guess I'll try welding a nut first. I've already been soaking it with some PB Blaster. I'll use a washer with a small hole so I don't hit the sides of the stud hole with wire. Then I'll weld a nut to it. I'll keep you posted. If I don't respond, it means I dumped the car in the river.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 10:10 PM

You might want to use at least a 1/4" washer so you can get some heat into the stud...
Posted By: 500ciDuster

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 11:40 PM

I always do the nutweld treatment too but I let it cool so it isn't oversized in the hole

Mitch

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/18/13 11:47 PM

IT WORKED!!! I used a fender washer with a 3/16" hole. It welded real easy to the stud. Then I welded a 5/16" nut to it. By the time I filled the nut from the inside with weld, it was red hot. I waited until it wasn't red anymore, and it backed right out with a 1/2" wrench. I'm sure the PB Blaster had something to do with that. I sprayed about 3 coats of it on the broken stud over the course of a couple hours.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I appreciate it.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/19/13 12:13 AM

Attaboy, Luther!

I had no doubt it would work.

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/19/13 12:27 AM

Good job!!!
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/19/13 12:38 AM

Posted By: 500ciDuster

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/19/13 01:09 AM

Good Job Again!!!

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/19/13 04:10 AM

Awesome!! Maybe what I see as borderline to deep isn't a problem...

Re: Oops!! Broken Exaust Stud - 05/20/13 01:39 AM

There ya go!!!!
No drilling involved and another satisfied customer!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums