Moparts

Radiator upgrade question

Posted By: MidPenMopar

Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 05:07 AM

I wanted to upgrade the cooling system on my 69 roadrunner runing a 383. As of now i have the stock 22 inch version but after a lot of reserch i think the best idea is to enlarge the opening and put in a 26 inch radiator in it's place.

I am looking for a driect fit 26 unit and the shroud so any advice on where to get them that is a resonable price?
Thanks
Stu

Attached picture 7687953-Roadrunenrbackfromtheshop2013035.JPG
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 12:40 PM

Are you having a cooling problem? If not, I would leave it alone.

If so, you can do what I did. Install a 26" Champion 2 row aluminum radiator in the existing 22" support. I didn't want to hack my nice support so I just spaced the rad out from the support a little so the air can get to the entire core. It worked perfect for me.

I think I paid around $200 for the radiator.
Posted By: markrr

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 01:11 PM

I wouldn't cut the opening out to 26 inches.Get a 22" Champion like the one pictured above. I put a 22" 3 core in my car like the one pictured above and it works great. My car never ran so cool.
Posted By: skicker

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 01:13 PM

I agree. I got a 4 core Champion a few weeks back for the 69 Dart. It was only a 22" core support so I stayed with the 22" and added more cores. This was a direct fit to the radiator support with no modifications required.

Attached picture 7688138-0308131906.jpg

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 01:23 PM

Thanks for the advice and i will look into the Champion radiators, but i see no fan shroud in the photos. I thought you should always run a shroud for optium cooling??

Stu
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 01:33 PM

Yes, definitely use a shroud. Use a clutch drive if aren't already. You might also look into getting a 3rd row in your radiator if possible. tanks look big enough. it's not as good as having more width, but it does help. and I agree on not cutting, don't think you have to. be creative, and it's a good feeling when you don't have to cut
Posted By: skicker

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 01:41 PM

Stu I just put this in a little over a week ago. I haven't made it to the shroud stage yet. I may see how it does without one and if its not needed I may not run one.

Attached picture 7688183-0203131731.jpg

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 01:57 PM

I don't run a shroud. It doesn't need it but yes, it's a good idea to have one regardless.
Posted By: markrr

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:10 PM

I don't have a shroud or a clutch fan. The radiator is drilled and tapped for a shroud though.

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:20 PM

The engine does not overheat at all in my own area of San Francisco where temps usually stay around 50 to 70 degress.

The issue is when i am away from the area and stopped just ideling in traffic on a very hot day. Then within minutes the temp climbs and the coolant boils over. On the freeway no matter how hot it gets i have no problems as long a i am moving at a good clip.

Here's what i have done:

Radiator has been hot tanked and all leaks repaired, i am running straight distilled water with an additive for the pump, I have a 17 lb cap, a nice new HD clutch fan and a high flow water pump.

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:27 PM

classic problem. I think a shroud would help that a lot.. but obviously so would more capacity. how many rows in the radiator - 2?

How crafty are you? There are many options. Like was already mentioned, you could do a wider aluminum unit, offset it like shown above (which is a very elegant solution). I'd couple it with a shroud.

you could get a third row added to your stock radiator if can fit another row, and if you don't already have it. Again, couple with shroud.

You might also test the clutch drive - I've seen them bad right out of the box, especially if they are old were stored improperly (they can leak the fluid)

Are you running a thermostat (you should be)? What temp?

You could always buy an aux electric fan and mount it in front of the current setup. a simple switch could turn it on for you (or you could make it automatic with enough ingenuity). that'd be a huge help at idle when there is minimum airflow across the fins

don't forget - in a bind, roll down the windows and blast the heater. that can save the engine and bring the temps down. I've been there.. sure aint fun in the summer.

My father once routed a spare heater core in the front of his 64 413 New Yorker, which was prone to overheating. he plumbed it in via the heater hoses, and he said it never overheated again. sometimes you just need a bit more capacity. that's not very pretty though...

Which fan are you using? You want the 7 blade one

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:36 PM

For slow speed cooling problems you need to either speed up the water flow, increase capacity or increase the air volume being pulled through the radiator...or a combination of those.

I had this exact problem. I switched to a 26" radiator and it helped a little but not much. I installed a 18" mechanical nylon fan and smaller water pump pulley to speed up the water flow and now it's good now. I had to space out the pulley a little to clear the water pump bolts though.
Posted By: Mopar Guy

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:39 PM

Im very happy with my 22 in radiator from Mancini Muscle Car Aluminum Radiators and it works fine even to my 505 stroker ! These are made to bolt right in and no hassel or drilling and hose fittings as stock but you need to mesiure and fill out a order form first
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

The issue is when i am away from the area and stopped just ideling in traffic on a very hot day. Then within minutes the temp climbs and the coolant boils over. On the freeway no matter how hot it gets i have no problems as long a i am moving at a good clip.

Even after a boil out the OE cruddy rad may not be flowing enough to compensate for the lesser amt of air & water flow at lower speeds. I'd add a shroud & a smaller dia WP pulley & if that dont do it (& I suspect it wont) then as said a 3 or 4 row Champion. I have one ( 2 row) on a DD 318 & cools well tho cooling ain't an issue in my app & no leaks & just had to redrill 1 mounting hole which ain't nothing. Holler how it turns out/what fixes it for you. With it boiling over as you described there's definitely a serious problem

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:44 PM

Quote:

I am running a 180 temp thermostat, yes i do have a shroud, the clutch fan is a 7 blade type.

The radiator is the stock type but maybe having it recored to three rows is the good answer to this problem?
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:45 PM

Your best solution would be to add a pusher fan in front of your radiator with a relay that will turn on when you need the extra cooling. The only advantage to an aluminum radiator is weight, and they look better, but they do not cool any better than a stock core. Only thing that would help would recore yours with a 3 core or buy a new one with more cores. It is your money, but the cheapest approach would be to add a fan.

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 02:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am running a 180 temp thermostat, yes i do have a shroud, the clutch fan is a 7 blade type.

The radiator is the stock type but maybe having it recored to three rows is the good answer to this problem?

I tend to type too much. these guys put it better - need more air across the radiator at slow speed. so - 7 blade fan (you got), shroud (you got), and as mentioned several times, an electric pusher fan at the front. modern cars do this, and it works out very well

Do you care if it will spoil the retro look? Otherwise, you'll need to do recore, or aftermarket radiator with a bit of fab (more money).

if you rig up an electric pusher fan, it will always still work with an aftermarket radiator if you need even more capacity, so it's not like it'd be a waste if it wasn't enough (but it probably would be).

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

but the cheapest approach would be to add a fan.

That was my first idea as it seemed the easist, but i have asked all kinds of people who have added electric fans to their cooling systems and they said the only way to make it work correctly is go to a puller fan behind the radiator and not in front. There is no room for a puller unless it get rid of the clutch fan altogether unfortunitly.

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 04/30/13 03:06 PM

They gave you bad advice. with dual pushers on an aluminum radiator, you wouldn't even need the mechanical fan (although it's nice to keep it there - big iron engines make a lot of heat and it helps to have something to blow it out of the engine bay).

Think about it. going down the road on the highway, the wind acts as a giant pusher fan. you don't need the mechanical fan, then. all that stuff is there for when the car isn't moving or is moving slowly.

the single auxillary pusher fan will be a big help
Posted By: norcalchryco1

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 05/01/13 01:54 PM

Stu,
My dads superbee has a 3-row 22' radiator. It has a 440 in it. It has been driven to LA, Sacramento, etc on the hottest days of the year without a hitch.
That might be your easiest solution. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 05/01/13 02:20 PM

Quote:

Stu,
My dads superbee has a 3-row 22' radiator. It has a 440 in it. It has been driven to LA, Sacramento, etc on the hottest days of the year without a hitch.
That might be your easiest solution. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Hi Nick, after looking at all the ideas and advice on here i deceided to order a Griffin 26 aluminium radiator, along with a shroud and a stand alone transmission cooler.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 05/01/13 03:22 PM

For what it's worth,plain water isn't the best coolant !
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 05/01/13 03:53 PM

Quote:

For what it's worth,plain water isn't the best coolant !

I agree, Why no anti freeze Stu?
It raises the boiling point and helps protect the cooling system. A good pressure cap is important also.

I know you added something but anti freeze is best I beleive.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 05/01/13 04:23 PM

Geez, when it comes to cooling systems . . . I have always had something go wrong with every darn car I have had . . . so, I usually go through it from the beginning.

First off, I like a 180 stat, even though factory 195 is the usual norm. As for radiators . . . well, listening to the old guys at the rad shops, is best advise I have found !!! They usually are right !!!

I have gone with a smaller tube, three row, high efficiency core. The tubes have dimbles in them that create tumbling effect of the coolant to give it extra time to lose heat to the metal tube . . . so the rad shop guy told me . . . have to admit, my car is just on the road, and temps are still cool outside (like 15 deg C - approx. 62 F), but you can watch temp guage go up, stat open, and come down to the first mark on the left side.

New water pump, clutch fan - no fan shroud, have to change fan, then will put shroud on.

Ma Mopar built these cars with 440 and 383 engines, with 22" rads, and they seemed to work . . . why are we second guessing engineers that know the temperatures, etc. . . . find a good rad shop and listen to the old guys there. Can't replace experience !!!

And yes, ANTI-FREEZE = ANTI-BOIL !!! Gain some temp resistance with the anti freeze !!!

Just my two cents worth . . .

Cheers,

Mark
Posted By: roe

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 05/01/13 06:04 PM

I have a 26" champion aluminum radiator, one of the best additions, high volume/ac water pump, 2 puller fans off of OEM 4cylinders from the junkyard, wired into an auto control switch from Autozone ($15-20), 16lb rad cap, and 70/30 water/antifreeze mix with water wetter added, overflow tank, and fans are run off a relay. My car is cooling great, radiator dropped right in and is supposed to work with factory shroud, I just used electric and completely removed my fixed mechanical fan. I love the extra room.Gaines from removing the mechanical fan, and being able to work on the car running without worrying about the mechanical fan.

roe

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 05/01/13 07:58 PM

anti-freeze is actually less efficient than straight water for transferring heat. that's why it's not suggested to run more than 50% of it.

If you're boiling over, raising the boiling point by going to a higher cap or adding antifreeze will only make it worse. the engine can't shed heat fast enough, and reducing the efficiency of the coolant isn't going to help. With that cap, the boiling point of straight water is already pretty high. Making it higher still won't help, it's just going to get even hotter before it does boil over and will serve to delay the unpleasant signal you finally notice with your nose or ears

antifreeze is good to have, as it helps prevent rust and corrosion, you won't get a cracked block by forgetting to drain it in the fall, and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to run 50/50 or 70/30. the core problem in this case is not enough cooling ability, not the coolant. Once that is addressed, by all means run a proper mix

by the way, we run 7 pound caps on everything and have no problems. easier on the hoses and aging heater core. just need enough cooling capacity.
Posted By: rapom

Re: Radiator upgrade question - 05/01/13 10:25 PM

On your last overheating post about a month or two ago, I showed you my solution and it works.
I have a 26" Champion 3 core in my stroked small block. I have a fixed fan and shroud and I would still overheat at idle when caught in traffic.

This pusher fan was the solution and even helped my A/C work a lot better.

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size-pus...97138be6c2ae38a
© 2024 Moparts Forums