Moparts

VIN Decode Question - 1967 Belvedere GTX

Posted By: vinnyd76

VIN Decode Question - 1967 Belvedere GTX - 04/28/13 08:25 PM

I’m looking at purchasing a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX. The VIN currently states RS23L77. Which breakdowns as follows:
R - Plymouth Belvedere / Satellite
S – Special, 23 - 2 door hardtop
L - 440 1-4BBL 8 Cylinder "RB" engine (High Performance)
7 - 1967
7 – St. Louis, Missouri
Does the “S” indicate GTX? The owner stated the fender tag was missing. I recall hearing that the fender tag can be reproduced, is that true? I need to also follow-up with the owner to see if he has the build sheet.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Vinny
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: VIN Decode Question - 1967 Belvedere GTX - 04/28/13 09:34 PM

Yes the RS tells you its a GTX model.

Look closely at the VIN tag and make sure it is attached properly.

A Fendertag can be made but without documentation in the form of the original , or a dealer invoice or the Broadcast sheet you won't know what is supposed to be ion it.

You might get lucky and Chrysler will have the IBM card for it .
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: VIN Decode Question - 1967 Belvedere GTX - 04/28/13 09:40 PM

'S' was used for GTX, it had a lot of the same parts as the 'P' Satellite, seats, grill, tail lights.

AFAIK, fender tags can be reproduced with the same codes as the original tag IF you have a broadcast sheet or a copy of the IBM card (available from Chrysler Historical). Otherwise you're just guessing at some of the codes and you don't have real proof how the car was built.

If you're thinking of purchasing a 67 GTX, just know they have a lot of trim that is costly to restore and rear quarter panels are not available.
© 2024 Moparts Forums