Moparts

Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP

Posted By: TrueTripleX

Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/01/08 05:46 PM

OK motor experts, I need some help on a 68 Charger. I want to keep the 383 LOOKING stock, but want more HP. What combination of components can someone recommend to maximize HP. I would like something near 475 (and pleasse stop laughing). What can I do to get the most and still keep the motor LOOKING stock (no high rise intake, etc.). Thanks
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/01/08 06:08 PM

496 stroker kit

440 Source Stealth heads or a good porting to your heads

DC .528

9.5:1 compression

850 CFM Edelbrock or Holley a minimum, if you want the stock Carter look its going to cost you some power but your best choice would be to find a 750 or a Carter that came off of a 440HP engine.

This would probably get you there.

If you dont want to stroke it youre probably SOL, 450 might be doable but 475 is a stretch on the street.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/01/08 06:17 PM

Add a cleaned up, painted Street Dominator intake to match the stroker assembly. Balanced. Thrown on an engine dyno to tweak. Oh ya, some good ignition components.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/01/08 06:24 PM

First question: HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE TO SPEND???

Posted By: 71383beep

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/01/08 06:33 PM

I agree with stroking. You'll need it for that kind of hp.

I would say aftermarket heads, stroked to a minimum 426 or larger, SD intake and an 850 Demon or Holley.

make sure your compression is no less than 10:1 too.

the SD intake is short and looks good when painted you can also keep the stock aircleaner.

You'll probable NEED to have headers though which obviously aren't stock.

IMHO it is easier to do this with a stroked 400 and externally they look the same.

I am running 400 with mine and I can probably squeeze another 10 to 20 with easier mods like cam and heads mainly. But I doubt I could see 475 without pulling more CI's.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/01/08 09:40 PM

Agreed with all above, and if you're still running say, the 323 gears, it will still SCREAM!
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/01/08 10:07 PM

If you want it to look stock and make any power, you will have to junk your stock manifolds. Can you live with headers? If not, you will NEED a set of HP manifolds. Holley SD intake is a good one, if you grind off the lettering and paint it, it would pass for stock to the casual observer(especially once it's tucked under your air cleaner). 528 cam would be a good choice IMO.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/02/08 12:32 AM

A '68 383 came with 906 heads. Get them off there and find a set of '67 915 heads, these are closed chambered and will raise your compression another point. Have them ported and install 2.14/ 1.81 valves. Be sure to clearance the tops of the cylinders where the valves open. You can do this yourself by using an old head gasket as a guide. Chamfer the bore out to match the gasket but only go 1/4" deep into the cylinder to stay above where the rings travel. Stealth heads don't look stock, as soon as you look in the area of the heat crossover at the center of the intake manifold, you're busted. Go with a solid lift cam and as stated above, find an aluminum intake and paint it. A 3800 stall converter will help too.
Posted By: BobK

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/02/08 12:49 AM

How's this for relatively stock looking? Stroked 400 (now 470 ) Stealth heads, with port work, Edelbrock intake,

Attached picture 4851670-400.jpg
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/02/08 01:44 AM

Quote:

How's this for relatively stock looking? Stroked 400 (now 470 ) Stealth heads, with port work, Edelbrock intake,

Looks very stockish to me. Take a spare stock air cleaner, graft a drop-base onto it and the average car guy would not know the difference? Would it hold up to the toughest judges, of course not. But it would fool most regular joes.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/02/08 02:37 AM

I dont think hes going to want the SD, I like them but I would never mistake one for stock myself. If youve got the air grabber style air cleaner it hides alot though. I think if you go with the big stroker kit to the 499 you can make your power with the .528 and a well ported set of 906s with the manifolds and stock intake as long as you give it enough CFM with something like the 850 AVS Edelbrock sells, an AVS Edelbrock on a MoPar is generally considered a stock replacement type deal, in fact any carb replacement on any MoPar is something I never think of as a true modification, its almost a tuning item. I like the Carters but they dont really make anything big enough for even a mild 440.

If you run manifolds go with the .528 if you use something off the shelf, its one of the best DC cams and it works well with manifolds from what I hear from alot of guys who know theyre stuff. My only big block had manifolds on it but it was a 440, different case. I like the look though and when I finally get a big block in the Satellite I'd be tempted to run them. Headers are just worth so much power though, on a stock 383 youre looking at 25+ horse for a decent set of cheap Hooker or Hedmans.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/02/08 03:08 AM

Quote:

First question: HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE TO SPEND???

Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/02/08 03:22 AM

TO heck with all of these expensive hard parts just but a plate kit and hit the big red button.
Posted By: 71383beep

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/02/08 03:08 PM

Quote:

TO heck with all of these expensive hard parts just but a plate kit and hit the big red button.

Assuming this is a stock worn out 383 I would not recommend just nitrousing it. Good Nitrous motors are built to handle it with better bottom ends and such.

It'll work for the short term, but I would not bet on the motor staying together for too long.
Posted By: moper

Re: Stock LOOKING 383 needs more HP - 12/02/08 05:26 PM

well it doesnt look stock. but I ran 175hp plate on a stock 2bbl lower end in my C body for a couple years. Had a blast in it too... If I could just find a green 4dr Newport with green interior, black top, and AC. I miss the old barge.

more to the point, 475 from a 383 is very hard to do in stock apprearing form. I would start with a 400 and go larger stroke as mentionned. A 470 can make 475 pretty easy with stock looking stuff. Not stock looking or sounding, but stock looking.
© 2024 Moparts Forums