Moparts

Flex fan/shroud

Posted By: geol

Flex fan/shroud - 04/25/13 12:58 PM

I have a 440 in my 65 Dodge Coronet with a Be Cool cross flow radiator.I am looking at a seven blade flex fan and an aluminum shroud from Summit.Any thoughts on how this set up might work out.The engine is approx 450 hp.
Posted By: radar

Re: Flex fan/shroud - 04/25/13 02:18 PM

I've read that the 7 blade mopar fan is the best? I have a big collection of stock fans on my garage wall. I tried them all with a stock and with a custom shroud on my stock rad and the only thing that worked was swapping the whole radiator out for aluminum.

I think the old stock radiator needed to be rodded out or whatever. Now I run dual spal fans on a switch in winter and constant in summer. Same setup on both of my smallblocks.

I'd imagine that as long as the fan and shroud are spaced properly your $1000 radiator should do it's job no problem. Personally I don't like flex fans they are kinda scary. If you wind out that high that you feel the need for less drag at rpm and still want good draw in traffic I'm a big 'fan' of electric setups.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Flex fan/shroud - 04/25/13 03:03 PM

I would suggest a MP thermal clutch fan with the blades (7) spaced halfway into the shroud
Posted By: radar

Re: Flex fan/shroud - 04/25/13 03:09 PM

Forgot to mention the thermal clutch option- good one robert
Posted By: therocks

Re: Flex fan/shroud - 04/25/13 05:05 PM

My 65 Belvedere 440 at 600 horse runs Summits stainless flex fan.It has an untouched 65 C body 22 inch rad with shroud.Even in the 90s it runs under 185 all day long.65s sit real close to the rad one of the problems with early Bs.I run a thin spacer and the fan has plenty of clearance between it and the rad and is just at the tip of the shroud.My kids 62 413 300 runs stock rad and same flex.It runs the same temp as mine even at the track.Mines been on at least 15 years and no problems.It normally sees over 7200 when I shift.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums